Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Reducing flight schedules over next 6 months (Aug 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reducing flight schedules over next 6 months (Aug 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by samjnz
I wonder if in hindsight the early exit of the 777-200s was short sighted -- it seems the like capacity squeeze will remain for at least the next couple of years given the delivery schedule of the 787-10s
Remember the next new Dreamliners to arrive will now be 789's. Whether we ever ultimately see any -10s is yet to be seen.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I suspect there are a lot of people that never check the GAS site and only ever look at the Air NZ site.. And as a result are unaware that you'll only get access to some of the cheaper GAS fares on GAS site and not the main Air NZ site.
Huh. Do you have an example of this? I’ve booked dozens of GAS fares from back in the day ($1, $2, $9, $19, $29) but have never seen an instance where the GAS website fare is lower than the ANZ website.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by samjnz
I wonder if in hindsight the early exit of the 777-200s was short sighted -- it seems the like capacity squeeze will remain for at least the next couple of years given the delivery schedule of the 787-10s
I assume they still own the 4x owned 77E's?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
My guess is that it is probably just a temporary change based on aircraft availability and its not a permanent change.
It's definitely a temporary change - it goes back to a 787 from 16 January. SIN doesn't normally have the loadings to maintain a near daily 77W service for NZ. I just hope with all of the changes going on they don't switch it back to a 787 for my trip.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by codyc1515
Huh. Do you have an example of this? I’ve booked dozens of GAS fares from back in the day ($1, $2, $9, $19, $29) but have never seen an instance where the GAS website fare is lower than the ANZ website.
The Air NZ website filters out F class fares so these won't display when searching from the Air NZ branded booking engine and will only display using the GAS branded booking engine. It has always been like this since F class has restrictions so is never sold as a "Air NZ" ticket per se.

Once you have searched on the GAS booking engine and the session token has been created you can even see this by manually editing the URL from flightbookings.grabaseat.co.nz to flightbookings.airnewzealand.co.nz and you'll see F class disappear and reappear.

Obviously not all GAS fares are F class but F class do pop up pretty regularly when there are super cheap deals and even pop up randomly as last minute fares hence the reason I always search GAS when I go to book flights.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I assume they still own the 4x owned 77E's?
Correct. And official word is they're never coming back but there are all sorts of rumours that have been going around.

Considering they'll been fully written down they'll be cheap to fly!
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
It's definitely a temporary change - it goes back to a 787 from 16 January. SIN doesn't normally have the loadings to maintain a near daily 77W service for NZ. I just hope with all of the changes going on they don't switch it back to a 787 for my trip.
Off to Melbourne early November, picked up some cheap BP tickets in the Aussie sale earlier this week and they are on a 777 as well - at this stage anyway, different flight times/days had the 787 as well.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Well, they canned the seasonal CHC-SIN flights over Dec-Jan. The NZ 77W is a better option than the SQ codeshare - for a number of reasons.
The 777W is much better in J than the 787, but I definitely prefer the SQ A350, the seats are better and the food is better. We're off to SIN next month for a few days, and are going SQ to SIN, and NZ back, despite the dreadful earning rate on SQ, despite it being NZ ticketed. The very late departure on NZ makes it a very unpleasant experience, whereas a lunchtime departure (CHC or AKL) and evening arrival in SQ makes for a great experience.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by edmm
The 777W is much better in J than the 787, but I definitely prefer the SQ A350, the seats are better and the food is better. We're off to SIN next month for a few days, and are going SQ to SIN, and NZ back, despite the dreadful earning rate on SQ, despite it being NZ ticketed. The very late departure on NZ makes it a very unpleasant experience, whereas a lunchtime departure (CHC or AKL) and evening arrival in SQ makes for a great experience.
We are in PE, so the NZ product seems better than SQ’s. That, and the SP earn made me keen to stay on NZ metal.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I have flown PE on SQ before. It was very nice. I would definitely fly it over Air NZ for the far, far superior flight times.

The SP earn is a different story. Because of the NZ Metal minimum requirements, I could see choosing NZ for that reason.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The very late departure on NZ makes it a very unpleasant experience, whereas a lunchtime departure (CHC or AKL) and evening arrival in SQ makes for a great experience.
I'm the complete opposite. I prefer taking the NZ red-eye out of AKL to SIN when available. I can get in a full day of work and then as soon as we're in the air I can put the bed down and go to sleep. I find day flights boring and as having an opportunity cost to me.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I have flown PE on SQ before. It was very nice. I would definitely fly it over Air NZ for the far, far superior flight times.

The SP earn is a different story. Because of the NZ Metal minimum requirements, I could see choosing NZ for that reason.
Can you amplify the “far, far superior flight times”?

The NZ and SQ flights departed CHC at 1100 and 1200 respectively. NZ departs AKL at 1100.

Many reviews rate PE experience on NZ above that of SQ, mainly around less generous leg room (38” vs 42”) and having to share the lav with economy pax. Soft product is similar it seems - depending how you view SQ and NZ crew and food offerings.

Indeed the SP earn is important as I will achieve GE - although that might come earlier anyway.
akl_cat likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite

The NZ and SQ flights departed CHC at 1100 and 1200 respectively. NZ departs AKL at 1100.

Many reviews rate PE experience on NZ above that of SQ, mainly around less generous leg room (38” vs 42”) and having to share the lav with economy pax. Soft product is similar it seems - depending how you view SQ and NZ crew and food offerings.

Indeed the SP earn is important as I will achieve GE - although that might come earlier anyway.
Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about via Christchurch. If you fly via Christchurch, it's a much more pleasant time!
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF

Unfortunately, in October the NZ flight leaves at 1:05am, which is a horrible time, and gets in early morning, which is OK if you are connecting, but useless if staying in Singapore. If the NZ flight left around lunchtime we would probably take it.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, in October the NZ flight leaves at 1:05am, which is a horrible time, and gets in early morning, which is OK if you are connecting, but useless if staying in Singapore. If the NZ flight left around lunchtime we would probably take it.
In our case, we are travelling late Dec, and NZ284 departs 11:05am. Only downside is SQ recently cancelled our connecting flight to BKK, so we now have an unwanted overnight in Singapore. Such is travel it seems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.