Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Reducing flight schedules over next 6 months (Aug 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reducing flight schedules over next 6 months (Aug 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:01 pm

My heart sank when I saw the article and they said that the cancellations would start with late September flights--I'm September 29, direct from JFK to AKL. Waiting for the notification. Think they'll go for the new route?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by a380supremacy
My heart sank when I saw the article and they said that the cancellations would start with late September flights--I'm September 29, direct from JFK to AKL. Waiting for the notification. Think they'll go for the new route?
Who knows. But the JFK Non Stop isn't daily & the loads to NA are high. And crews have rest at the out station.

My guess going to see the cuts domestically, TT & Pacific where multiple flights a day & can shift pax around. And crews home each night so easier to deploy etc.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:04 am

Noticed my first disrupt today in the app. Didn't get any notification from Air NZ yet as is normal (appears to have gone in the queue to resolve manually). Checking the schedules for CHC-PMR it seems that NZ5184 at 12:10 PM has been cancelled, with the most likely substitute NZ5176 at 12:55PM. Called up and call was answered in around 10 minutes. Promptly got my two bookings and linked moved myself to a much more convenient 8AM departure.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Rumour has it that Mr Foran has been looking at a range of leasing options as well as HiFly to help deal with staff shortages.....

Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by codyc1515
Any trans-Tasman fare that is sub-$250 is losing money just off the taxes alone. Not really a comparable example. While I agree NZ’s prices are high right now, they’re oftentimes the only choice if you want a direct flight and aren’t Auckland based. Most of them are flying full.
Must have jinxed it as they’re now having a two day AU sale from $255 seat one way.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: NZ EP
Have I been sucked in by dynamic pricing, or is this the new normal…
Saturday flights, 10 days out, AKL-CHC

a week later was not much better…

Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
Have I been sucked in by dynamic pricing, or is this the new normal…
Saturday flights, 10 days out, AKL-CHC

a week later was not much better…

Looks like them the breaks 10 days out.
Gasfoodlodging likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:09 am

It looks like all of those are full Y fares, i.e. the most expensive fare you can buy on that route. Each flight has 9 or more seats available, including the ones on that day that are priced less. This suggests that NZ is just setting the price high by not releasing seats in the cheaper fare buckets. Same thing is happening trans-Tasman. To your point about dynamic pricing, I don’t believe NZ has it, e.g. no matter how many times you search it’s not going to set a browser cookie to charge you more.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Whilst not relevant to this flight date as there is no difference, it is sometimes worth checking Grabaseat in case there is specific flight that is being sold cheaper (usually at an off-peak time).

If so, then snaring it as a FlexiRefund can be useful for the free time change on the day (or free cancel and refund if no availability for desired flight time).
Old Aug 31, 2022, 4:49 am

Programs: NZ EP
Originally Posted by codyc1515
It looks like all of those are full Y fares, i.e. the most expensive fare you can buy on that route. Each flight has 9 or more seats available, including the ones on that day that are priced less. This suggests that NZ is just setting the price high by not releasing seats in the cheaper fare buckets. Same thing is happening trans-Tasman.
this.
on a Saturday.
nuts.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Interestingly enough I've just noticed that my flights to/from SIN in December have been changed to 777's. I can't remember the last time I saw NZ use a 777-300 to SIN. Hopefully they stay that way - more space in BP and a better chance of having wifi...
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
My guess is that it is probably just a temporary change based on aircraft availability and its not a permanent change.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Interestingly enough I've just noticed that my flights to/from SIN in December have been changed to 777's. I can't remember the last time I saw NZ use a 777-300 to SIN. Hopefully they stay that way - more space in BP and a better chance of having wifi...
Well, they canned the seasonal CHC-SIN flights over Dec-Jan. The NZ 77W is a better option than the SQ codeshare - for a number of reasons.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Whilst not relevant to this flight date as there is no difference, it is sometimes worth checking Grabaseat in case there is specific flight that is being sold cheaper (usually at an off-peak time).

If so, then snaring it as a FlexiRefund can be useful for the free time change on the day (or free cancel and refund if no availability for desired flight time).
I suspect there are a lot of people that never check the GAS site and only ever look at the Air NZ site.. And as a result are unaware that you'll only get access to some of the cheaper GAS fares on GAS site and not the main Air NZ site.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Well, they canned the seasonal CHC-SIN flights over Dec-Jan. The NZ 77W is a better option than the SQ codeshare - for a number of reasons.
I wonder if in hindsight the early exit of the 777-200s was short sighted -- it seems the like capacity squeeze will remain for at least the next couple of years given the delivery schedule of the 787-10s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.