Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Four CHC-AKL cancelled today 31 July 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four CHC-AKL cancelled today 31 July 2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
How do they end up clearing the back log on the Tasman with a couple of flights canceled over the last few days?

With all the flights be close to 100% full, it would seem you would be on an wait list of days?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
How do they end up clearing the back log on the Tasman with a couple of flights canceled over the last few days?

With all the flights be close to 100% full, it would seem you would be on an wait list of days?
Yes indeed. Like 787SEA (SFO-SYD-WLG) who was booked on the cancelled NZ246 07-Aug and does not have an AU ETA,. 787SEA's UA SFO-SYD landed 54 minutes late.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
All kinds of Chaos yesterday.

An ATR scheduled CHC-WLG-HLZ went around after trying an approach at WLG and diverted to PMR. Went around off the first approach at PMR and got in on the second.

So pax destined for WLG ended up in PMR. Pax at WLG destined for HLZ were delayed at WLG. And pax at HLZ to (dunno) had a delay to their inbound aircraft …
Old Aug 6, 2022, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

An ATR scheduled CHC-WLG-HLZ went around after trying an approach at WLG and diverted to PMR. Went around off the first approach at PMR and got in on the second.

So pax destined for WLG ended up in PMR. Pax at WLG destined for HLZ were delayed at WLG. And pax at HLZ to (dunno) had a delay to their inbound aircraft …
And didn't ZQN have cancellations as well. Which also puts TT planes & crew out of position.

Given they run (and with the NEOs continue to run) two A320/1 fleets (domestic & SH) they can't switch and swap planes easily. E.g. QF often switch the 737 on the Aussie side so a plane would only do a single TT rotation in the day (or overnight) rather than 2 in a day. So have more opportunities to reset scheduling more easily.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:04 pm

I was meant to be on NZ445 AKL-WLG at 16:50 tonight. Got the cancellation notification this morning and jumped on to rebook the minute it came through, but the next AKL-WLG flight available wasn’t til 14:00 tomorrow! Guess that’s not overly unexpected, especially with at least 3 AKL-WLG flights cancelled today.

I headed to the airport early and a nice (but clearly overworked) agent rebooked me for AKL-NSN-WLG. Not ideal but at least it gets me back in time for work tomorrow and avoids stuffing around in an Auckland hotel for a night. There were a few “Karens” in the queue ahead of me, the poor agents at AKL customer service
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
As a return (often) visitor to NZ, it is interesting to see Air NZ cracking.

My WLG-BNE got cancelled tomorrow and the only option now (with the timing I need) is WLG-AKL-SYD-BNE. Which is...painful. What I found weird is the lack of control over your flight booking online. Mine is booked with a TA and when my WLG-BNE cancelled out, my PNR went into chaos. Since *G don't get access to the elite line...4HOURS on hold to get re-routed.

Their online management tool needs to improve until things get back to normal.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Nightowl888
I was meant to be on NZ445 AKL-WLG at 16:50 tonight. Got the cancellation notification this morning and jumped on to rebook the minute it came through, but the next AKL-WLG flight available wasn’t til 14:00 tomorrow! Guess that’s not overly unexpected, especially with at least 3 AKL-WLG flights cancelled today.

I headed to the airport early and a nice (but clearly overworked) agent rebooked me for AKL-NSN-WLG. Not ideal but at least it gets me back in time for work tomorrow and avoids stuffing around in an Auckland hotel for a night. There were a few “Karens” in the queue ahead of me, the poor agents at AKL customer service
Update: just landed in Wellington and noticed I got AP and SP for both AKL-NSN and NSN-WLG, a nice bonus I guess for the inconvenience! (K class flexichange)

Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nightowl888
Update: just landed in Wellington and noticed I got AP and SP for both AKL-NSN and NSN-WLG, a nice bonus I guess for the inconvenience! (K class flexichange)

snipped pic

Just hope that AirNZ accounting don't retrospectively pinch those APD/SP !
Old Aug 7, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Already multiple cancelled flights in and out of AKL for Monday
Looks like no crew for an AKL Q300, an AKL ATR, a New Plymouth ATR, an AKL A320 and a CHC A320,- and not counting anyone calling in sick tomorrow!!! The early NPE/AKL is delayed pending a crew to fly it out coming in from Auckland as no local crew. That’s not counting weather!!! You must like a challenge to work in AirNZ ops currently!!!
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NZ274 BNE-WLG last night went around twice before diverting to CHC. Todays NZ274 is cancelled.

Also last night NZ453 AKL-WLG overshot and had a lengthy hold as the front arrived.

Old Aug 7, 2022, 3:35 pm

I observed this happen in real time sitting in the PMR lounge and it was a truly mistifying experience. No other planes went around at either WLG or PMR at those times. When they landed I expected them to refuel and go back to WLG. Instead, the passengers deplaned in PMR and - I assume - were bussed to WLG (as I didn't see them in the terminal when I later boarded my flight). The most bizzare thing to me was that the plane flew back to WLG within the next hour (presumably for repositioning for the next day), so they could have waited. Why did they put everyone on a bus instead (an at least 2 hour journey)?

The lounge attendant remarked that a significant number of passsengers were en-route CHC-BNE ex. WLG - a flight which was 30 minutes from departure by the time they landed in PMR. I am guessing there was a lot of misconnects from that flight.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codyc1515
I observed this happen in real time sitting in the PMR lounge and it was a truly mistifying experience. No other planes went around at either WLG or PMR at those times. When they landed I expected them to refuel and go back to WLG. Instead, the passengers deplaned in PMR and - I assume - were bussed to WLG (as I didn't see them in the terminal when I later boarded my flight). The most bizzare thing to me was that the plane flew back to WLG within the next hour (presumably for repositioning for the next day), so they could have waited. Why did they put everyone on a bus instead (an at least 2 hour journey)?

The lounge attendant remarked that a significant number of passsengers were en-route CHC-BNE ex. WLG - a flight which was 30 minutes from departure by the time they landed in PMR. I am guessing there was a lot of misconnects from that flight.
Perhaps the inbound crew where due to terminate duty, so were replaced with a fresh crew for the positioning flight?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:58 am

Perhaps the inbound crew where due to terminate duty, so were replaced with a fresh crew for the positioning flight?
They would have been expecting a fresh crew from WLG in that case though (not PMR). I’m not sure they would’ve just magicked up a crew in PMR in 30 minutes or so (maybe?). The whole thing made very little sense.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515
They would have been expecting a fresh crew from WLG in that case though (not PMR). I’m not sure they would’ve just magicked up a crew in PMR in 30 minutes or so (maybe?). The whole thing made very little sense.
Most probably they didn't know they could head back in 30 min. So just got the pax moving towards Wellington.

Weather in Wellington may have changed sooner than expected so they just left. With no self loading cargo they can just go.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:04 am
Ged

So as an update...We had our ChC to Melbourne direct cancelled on Thursday 4th late pm. New itinerary appeared after 3 hours of waiting on hold with no answer. Friday am they shuttled us through Auckland. Got in late as airbridge got stuck on aircraft!!?? Ran to International and made the Melbourne flight. Monday 8th - up at 5am to get Uber to airport. Email arrives saying they have now cancelled Melbourne to ChC and we routing with Qantas to Sydney mid afternoon then picking up AIr NZ flight home. Qantas took off late from Sydney and we found out during the transit bus at Sydney that Air NZ decided not to hang around - approximately 30 PAX on the bus getting that same plane. We got put onto Qantas that took off way late...Got home at just before 3am...

1) It appears all other flights to auckland and queenstown from Melbourne ran fine. I also noticed a number of CHC to Melbourne and vice versa cancellations over the last week...What is it with the Melbourne route or pure co-incidence ?
2) We paid approximately $600 ish extra for works deluxe ( compared to the meals and movie) - middle seat free for good lady and I both ways. Appreciating things hit the fan with " operational issues" I am still somewhat of the opinion I am due back that money via a refund or credit as that level of service was not achieved for obvious reasons. Prior to another 3 hour call centre wait, any experiences of pursuing refunds for non delivered services / seating etc.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.