Recognition Upgrades to Works Deluxe?

Old Jul 30, 22, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
Recognition Upgrades to Works Deluxe?

Been an while since traveling internationally on an A321, didn't you use to be able to use an RU to upgrade to Works Deluxe on the Tasman?
I've got RU's expiring in August, and traveling on an 321 so no option for J.
Old Jul 30, 22, 2:30 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, Accor+ Diamond
Yes! We had RUs confirmed from Y to J from MEL>AKL on the way back from Tasmania in January but the flights were cancelled due to COVID. When that happened, I phoned and had them applied to upgrade us from Y to WD from NAN>WLG for a flight last week even though they were theoretically expired. Normally I'd have considered it a waste. It wasn't a Tasman route but it's the same principle.
Old Jul 30, 22, 2:44 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Yes it's still an option. You have to call to apply them though it can't be done online.
Old Jul 30, 22, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I might brave the call centre que and see if they will apply it for me.
I agree I normally wouldn't waste a RU on WD, but with the current state of capacity on the Tasman there isn't much option.
Old Jul 31, 22, 4:18 am

I posted about doing this recently. Yes - it is still available. I did have to speak with the contact centre 5 times before finding someone who knew how to do, however. The staff are insistent that you can just do it online (you most certain can’t). Being based in CHC means this is what they usually go towards for me unfortunately.
Old Jul 31, 22, 4:36 am

Yeah need to ring up.

The gotcha though is there needs to be space in WD and doesn't seem to be a wait list.

Got upgraded on one flight & said couldn't do it for another flight as WD was sold out.

Data point last night. And this morning got email saying it went through. As they have to manually go to the RU team to process.
Old Jul 31, 22, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Yeah need to ring up.

The gotcha though is there needs to be space in WD and doesn't seem to be a wait list.

Got upgraded on one flight & said couldn't do it for another flight as WD was sold out.

Data point last night. And this morning got email saying it went through. As they have to manually go to the RU team to process.
That makes more sense, I did it via the WhatsApp chat with NZ. Send them all the details in a message, and got an reply within a day saying they had lodged it and should find out in 48hrs.
Old Aug 1, 22, 2:21 am

That doesn’t sound right to me. I had the upgrade lodged immediately and was seated up the front when I called (assuming my recollection is right). This was part of the reason I had to call back - they had lodged it as a PE upgrade (which would have never cleared).
Old Aug 1, 22, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codyc1515 View Post
That doesnt sound right to me. I had the upgrade lodged immediately and was seated up the front when I called (assuming my recollection is right). This was part of the reason I had to call back - they had lodged it as a PE upgrade (which would have never cleared).
I was wondering that, I did notice they had logged an upgrade for PE.

But refreshing that app this morning, it did say Im now in WD. Although they hadnt re-allocated by my seat and had todo that my self, was still in 4C but the seats in row 1/2 had become unlocked.
Old Aug 1, 22, 4:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by codyc1515 View Post
That doesnt sound right to me. I had the upgrade lodged immediately and was seated up the front when I called (assuming my recollection is right). This was part of the reason I had to call back - they had lodged it as a PE upgrade (which would have never cleared).
Lodging it as a PE upgrade is a backend requirement.

'Works Deluxe' is still Y and there is no such thing as a Y-Y upgrade. Theres only Y-U, Y-C, and U-C.

As such, a UG is lodged as Y-U which then requires manual intervention to confirm WD on that sector (subject to WD being available). This also requires the use of a cost centre to charge the cost of WD to.
Thai-Kiwi, cavemanzk and codyc1515 like this.
Old Aug 1, 22, 5:53 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Also I believe it needs to be lodged atleast 48hrs before departure, I attempted to do a last minute upgrade to WD perhaps T-24 or there abouts and the agent said it can't be done inside of the 48hr to departure window
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post

But refreshing that app this morning, it did say I’m now in WD. Although they hadn’t re-allocated by my seat and had todo that my self, was still in 4C but the seats in row 1/2 had become unlocked.
Re seat selection: It does do that even for RU cleared into U or J. Once I tried leaving my original seats in Y just to see what happens, but upon checking in it auto changed the seat selection to a J seat for me. Was SYD-AKL.

Search this Thread