Wiki Posts
Search

APD earning on codeshares

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
APD earning on codeshares

Quick question for people out there who are more experienced with Airpoints than me.

At the moment looking to go to the states for work in Nov. Air NZ fares are nothing should of ludicrous for what I’m looking for.

Planning on doing AKL-JFK // ATL - AKL

NZ only comes in at $10900
UA on the other hand, comes in at $8500

The AKL-JFK sector is on NZ 2, but sold as a UA codeshare. Can’t for the life of me figure out APD earning on the website. The UA return is on UA, so points earning will be mauled anyways (since Airpoints is a stingy program anyways)

Anyone know how I can figure out APD/SP earning on the UA codeshare AKL-JFK? The Airpoints calculator is not offering an option
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NZJuniorDoc
Quick question for people out there who are more experienced with Airpoints than me.

At the moment looking to go to the states for work in Nov. Air NZ fares are nothing should of ludicrous for what I’m looking for.

Planning on doing AKL-JFK // ATL - AKL

NZ only comes in at $10900
UA on the other hand, comes in at $8500

The AKL-JFK sector is on NZ 2, but sold as a UA codeshare. Can’t for the life of me figure out APD earning on the website. The UA return is on UA, so points earning will be mauled anyways (since Airpoints is a stingy program anyways)

Anyone know how I can figure out APD/SP earning on the UA codeshare AKL-JFK? The Airpoints calculator is not offering an option
So for AKL-JFK, UA is the Marketing Carrier, and NZ is just the operating carrier. And you want to accrue to NZ Airpoints. Whilst cheaper in $$$ terms, the SP/APD earn will likely be relatively worse that buying the fare from NZ. Save $2400 but maybe more than 200SP worse off….

The online calculator appears not to have this route loaded under the Partner tab. The earn will be based on the UA booking class, and should be similar to SFO-SIN (13,588km)m which earns Discount Biz 55 SP, and Full Biz 185 SP. Waaaaaay less than the earn on NZ’s 086 stock ticket of 346-489 SP.

I think you must contact AirNZ and ask them. Bring tissues.
jawnbc likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jul 26, 2022 at 2:49 am
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
So UA is the Marketing Carrier, and NZ js just the operating carrier. And you want to accrue to NZ Airpoints. Whilst cheaper in $$$ terms, the SP/APD earn may be relative worse that buying the fare from NZ.

The online calculator appears not to have this loaded under the Partner tab. The earn will be based on the UA booking class, and should be similar to SFO-SIN (13,588km) Discount Biz 55 SP, and Full Biz 185 SP.

I think you must contact AirNZ and ask them.

​​​​​I Suspected that I would need to contact them to ask. Oh well I'll flick an email. The reality is that the extra SP/APD really isn't worth the 2500 ish I save. Air NZ pricing is truly ridiculous...
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
For the Air NZ operated sectors you should earn based on the Air NZ rate.

The difficulty is knowing what NZ booking class the UA one maps to. A word of warning though, you may need to apply for a correction when you complete your trip. Pre-Covid, there was an issue with the way NZ flights accrue on OAL ticket stock. This is due to NZ's accrual system reading the first letter of the fare basis in order to determine earn rates. They may have resolved this but I'm not sure. This could quite often work in your favour but sometimes it doesn't.

Some examples that would be in your favour:
  • *A RTW Business Fare
    • Fare basis = CRWSTAR1
    • Books into Z class on NZ
    • Earns C class points for that sector
  • *A RTW Economy Fare
    • Fare basis = YRWSTAR1
    • Books into M class on NZ
    • Earns Y class points for that sector
  • SQ Business Fare AKL-SIN (SQ marketed/NZ operated)
    • Fare basis = C12NZO
    • SQ C class (from recollection) maps to NZ Z class
    • Earns C class points for that sector
Some examples where is works against you (and requires a manual adjustment by NZ):
  • LH First Fare AKL-LAX-FRA
    • Fare basis = AFFNZ
    • Books into C class AKL-LAX on NZ
    • Earns A class (PE) points for that sector but entitled to C class
  • UA Business Fare AKL-SFO (UA marketed/NZ operated)
    • Fare basis = PFE9XECP
    • UA P class maps to NZ J class
    • Earns P class (discount economy) points for that sector but entitled to J class
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Good to know the mapping. It really reminds me why I prefer OW usually. Unfortunately the cheapest OW option on AA is about 11k which is a shame...

Maybe I'll just credit to another star program at this point.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
For the Air NZ operated sectors you should earn based on the Air NZ rate.
Thanks for the excellent detail in your response above. I find AirNZ’s documentation of APDS/SP earn in such situations ‘sparse’.

Why would AirNZ give the same APD/SP earn on a UA sold tix (NZ metal) flight, as for a NZ sold/operated flight ?

Specifically, on the NZ site on the UA page it is stated (noting AKL-SFO is an exception):
All other United routes:
As an Airpoints member, subject to your booking class being eligible, you will earn Airpoints Dollars as per the Partner tab on our Airpoints Calculator.
LyingFlat likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:39 pm

Why would AirNZ give the same APD/SP earn on a UA sold tix (NZ metal) flight, as for a NZ sold/operated flight ?
Air NZ earning rules are based on the booking class that you travel in. That is why on the APD/SP calculator, each booking class for NZ metal flights have different earn rates. This is regardless of how it is ticketed (with a few exceptions such as CX marketed etc).

I've personally flown on a number of NZ operated, OAL ticketed sectors and earned the appropriate points (including those which required manual adjustment like I outlined earlier). This has included non-*A tickets such as EK/AF/BA etc.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air NZ earning rules are based on the booking class that you travel in. That is why on the APD/SP calculator, each booking class for NZ metal flights have different earn rates. This is regardless of how it is ticketed (with a few exceptions such as CX marketed etc).

I've personally flown on a number of NZ operated, OAL ticketed sectors and earned the appropriate points (including those which required manual adjustment like I outlined earlier). This has included non-*A tickets such as EK/AF/BA etc.
My worst nightmare is our corporate TA arranging NZ ticketed but OAL operated flights. The SP earn into NZ is quite disheartening
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:00 pm

My worst nightmare is our corporate TA arranging NZ ticketed but OAL operated flights. The SP earn into NZ is quite disheartening
Yes, the big one are flights to/from SIN. NZ charge the same fares between their metal and SQ metal but you only earn partner rates for SQ metal flights (even if NZ marketed). It makes a very big difference to the number of points you earn. Plus, if the flight is NZ marketed/SQ operated those points don't go towards the minimum NZ component of the Elite qualification/requalification requirements.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

I mean realistically there aren’t that many other decent *A options for earn/burn regionally. I need to look into whether I should sign up to UA MP, do a status challenge and earn some orphaned miles perhaps rather than being toss a tiny handful of peanuts from Airpoints
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by NZJuniorDoc
I mean realistically there aren’t that many other decent *A options for earn/burn regionally. I need to look into whether I should sign up to UA MP, do a status challenge and earn some orphaned miles perhaps rather than being toss a tiny handful of peanuts from Airpoints
Yes, unless you travel exclusively on NZ in premium cabins, MileagePlus would seem to always have the better earn/burn ratio. Also now that it's nearly impossible to burn Recognition Upgrades, Airpoints provides no additional benefits worth sticking around.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:56 am

Yes, the big one are flights to/from SIN. NZ charge the same fares between their metal and SQ metal but you only earn partner rates for SQ metal flights (even if NZ marketed). It makes a very big difference to the number of points you earn. Plus, if the flight is NZ marketed/SQ operated those points don't go towards the minimum NZ component of the Elite qualification/requalification requirements.
On the plus side, you do get to fly SQ.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
Dont disagree with this.... which other * programme gives (semi) decent points for full fare Y flexirefund tickets tho? Its easy ish to meet the 4 united or SQ flights in long haul but would be good to be able to get more use out of my NZ domestic fares...?
Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Bring tissues.
Assuming tissues for a sad ending, not a "happy" ending..?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.