Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDT before flying back

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by SeaProf
Are you willing to share what you thought was clunky about it and why you said to have a Plan B?

I am flying in a little over 3 weeks and filled out the Traveller Declaration form without any issues or complications. All that remains is uploading the Covid test once I take it. I've not flown since the pandemic started and am trying to remember how all this works!
That's what I thought too, until I got to the last step. Are you crossing the international date line during your flight? Just wait until you try to upload your test result, assuming that you will shortly receive a valid Travel Pass having followed all the rules. Then the real fun begins...
SeaProf likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Are you willing to share what you thought was clunky about it and why you said to have a Plan B?

I am flying in a little over 3 weeks and filled out the Traveller Declaration form without any issues or complications. All that remains is uploading the Covid test once I take it. I've not flown since the pandemic started and am trying to remember how all this works!
Sure. Once I submitted the Traveller Declaration, there were no issues getting a reply email with the Traveller Pass attached after 5 mins or so. I completed the test and upload on the same day (05:00 EDT = 21:00 NZST), all done on my iPhone.

Some comment on the process.

I had completed all sections of the Traveller Declaration, less the covid test upload, 2 weeks prior to travel back to NZ. I did this on my PC at home.

1. On the vaccination certification page, there is a statement that the following vaccination status section is not mandatory for NZ Citizens, but it was not possible to bypass it, so I needed all of the detailed vaccination information to be at the ready, including date of every dose, and specific vax type (there of 4 varieties of Pfizer to select from). The MyCovidRecord data was needed for all 3 jab dates, as the International Vax Certificate only show the date of the final jab on it.

2. After receiving the covid test results, the data entry could/should error check as entries are made, or provide a drop down list. neither occurs, instead there is a low contrast text DD MMM YYYY to guide data entry - I found this difficult to read at 05:00 with bleary eyes, and when erroneous data was entered, there was a general red text warning the section was incomplete. A drop-down menu for dates seems a better solution.

By Plan B, I mean some contingency planning such as:
  • Have a spare battery pack and power adapter. I was in the hotel, but if at the airport and calls were needed….
  • I didn’t check-out until the Traveller Pass has been issued. I have had colleagues check-out first, then test positive, and having issues finding other accommodation. Perhaps less of a concern these days.
  • I nearly slept in and missed the Zoom testing appointment - but I did have a local place scouted out as a (desparate) back-up if the Zoom call failed. I booked a Zoom test since departing DC requited me to head to the airport at 10:00, and the testing places only opened at 09:00.
  • I saved pdf/jpg/png on all of my mobile devices. I had a phone once fail on me. That was more around the loss of messaging/email, and that was a hassle back then.
SeaProf likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jun 10, 2022 at 8:42 pm
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: NZ Koru

The first part of the form isn’t to bad, being that you can do it ahead of time.

Its the requirements to upload an test result within, 24hrs of your flight.

It was really clunky and slow for me, trying to add the test test on my phone. I ended up getting my laptop out to complete the testing part of the form.

The drop downs on the form don’t seem to play nice on an moblie, for completing the testing part.

Hopefully that will be a thing of the past, with the 1000s of local daily cases it’s hardly worth it.
SeaProf and jawnbc like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Thanks for the information, it's appreciated.

It sounds like some best-practices based on the comments would be to:
1. Do a PCR test about 23 hours before the flight if they can get results back in time, as that is good for 48 hours and might help avoid complications with the International Dateline
2. Make sure to have a laptop with me to upload the results onto the Traveller Declaration
3. Be prepared to call NZ in case of problems

With the USA dropping the testing requirement as of this weekend, I'm hoping NZ will do likewise in the next couple weeks.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:04 pm

Thanks for the information, it's appreciated.

It sounds like some best-practices based on the comments would be to:
1. Do a PCR test about 23 hours before the flight if they can get results back in time, as that is good for 48 hours and might help avoid complications with the International Dateline
2. Make sure to have a laptop with me to upload the results onto the Traveller Declaration
3. Be prepared to call NZ in case of problems

With the USA dropping the testing requirement as of this weekend, I'm hoping NZ will do likewise in the next couple weeks.
1 & 2 sound good, but the NZ help line was worse than useless for me, unfortunately.
SeaProf likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite

With the NZ givt first saying "no later than the end of July" and Hipkins then repeatedly saying it will hopefully be "much sooner" there has been silence. The PDT serves zero purpose now but it wouldn't surprise me to see it still stay until the end of July.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by sbiddle
With the NZ givt first saying "no later than the end of July" and Hipkins then repeatedly saying it will hopefully be "much sooner" there has been silence. The PDT serves zero purpose now but it wouldn't surprise me to see it still stay until the end of July.
Yip, its just further evidence of polls/politics directing their "covid response".
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
For what its worth am currently in Europe and all predeparture tests are gone, mask wearing is non existent al bar public transport which most people still wear them. For folks trying to get out of NZ with the current lack of capacity the Qatar AKL/ADL flights seem to fly under the radar.
sopwith7 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: Qantas FF, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Velocity
Originally Posted by ClanJ
For what its worth am currently in Europe and all predeparture tests are gone, mask wearing is non existent al bar public transport which most people still wear them. For folks trying to get out of NZ with the current lack of capacity the Qatar AKL/ADL flights seem to fly under the radar.
Totally agree regarding QR AKL-ADL flights. Flew them over Easter when there was zero availability on AKL-MEL direct on either QF or NZ.

Flight was only about 70% full AKL-ADL although check in agent advised it was 100% full ADL-DOH. Admittedly flight arrived too late to connect so necessitated spending a night in Adelaide but still a good option when pricing or availability on direct flight is an issue.

Meal service was good, seating and IFE great, immigration at Adelaide fast and efficient and earned QF points to boot so not a bad option at all.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifruit
Totally agree regarding QR AKL-ADL flights. Flew them over Easter when there was zero availability on AKL-MEL direct on either QF or NZ.

Flight was only about 70% full AKL-ADL although check in agent advised it was 100% full ADL-DOH. Admittedly flight arrived too late to connect so necessitated spending a night in Adelaide but still a good option when pricing or availability on direct flight is an issue.

Meal service was good, seating and IFE great, immigration at Adelaide fast and efficient and earned QF points to boot so not a bad option at all.
Are there Q Suites on the AKL > ADL leg?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by sopwith7
Are there Q Suites on the AKL > ADL leg?
Yes on some dates.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...VCJINTPK5YN7U/
SeaProf likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Couldn’t come sound enough, hopefully there is an positive 1pm or 4pm announcement tomorrow. Hopefully masks on board will go at the same time.
prp343 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Perfect timing for me!
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
ZBRadio news is reporting a ‘government source’ saying the PDT requirement will cease from Tuesday.

So an announcement probably today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.