Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rational to long haul J fares

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by samjnz
I'm a little sad the route is over now I'm based in LA -- during certain times of the year the low fares ex-LAX for premium economy (almost "fire sale" pricing) combined with a pre-confirmed recognition upgrade to BP would have made a perfect 4 day weekend trip!

Although saying this, probably speaks to why the route was cancelled. The fares were consistently low (even BP was often in the below 3000 range)
That makes sense. I can't imagine Air NZ picked up many LA-based flyers. The LAX-London route has so many competitors already. Most people living in Los Angeles, flying to London for business, probably also fly regularly within the USA for business, and would prioritize a USA-based airline. Or else they fly worldwide to multiple locations, in which case, would prioritize a global airline like Emirates/Singapore.

Which is also why, IMO, it makes no sense from an Air NZ financial perspective to start it up again from say, Hong Kong (when/if it reopens). Outside of Kiwis bizarrely loyal to Air NZ who are willing to pay $12,000 for return airfares instead of $8,000-$9,000 with the much superior Emirates/Singapore, who are they going to pickup locally for the Hong Kong to London leg to fill up the plane? Anyone flying that route regularly probably also flies internationally a lot in general. In which case, they'll want to gain loyalty with an airline that can meet their general travel needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.