Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Regional Gates Wellington Wind Resilience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE

Recently got stuck overnight in Nelson after the captain announced on board that there were no gates available in Wellington.
I believe when the northerly is blowing it looks like they have to park the Q300s into the wind. This results in them parallel with the linkspan and taking up 2-3 spots as opposed to nosing into the gates directly.

This seems like a pretty massive flaw with the current setup in Wellington. Do any other airports have this problem? Would love if anyone have any insight into this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There is at least 12 gates for NZ's ATR & Q300 at WLG. Not often there'd be more than 6 on the ground at once.

In bad weather they may cancel some or all regional flights.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It's not just turboprops it's not an airport design flaw per se, it's simply the fact the weather can get pretty crap. A320's have major issues as well when it's windy and face restrictions opening the cargo doors.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's not just turboprops it's not an airport design flaw per se, it's simply the fact the weather can get pretty crap. A320's have major issues as well when it's windy and face restrictions opening the cargo doors.
Do we all recall the Pacific Blue aircraft that was facing North and had a gust from the South that caused some 'airbridge separation' mayhem? And the wind-blown baggage trolley into a JQ aircraft?

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...from-airbridge
https://www.traveller.com.au/strong-...ar-plane-1dvqg
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:34 pm

Pacific Blue now there's a name I haven't heard for a while.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by Alphapapa
Recently got stuck overnight in Nelson after the captain announced on board that there were no gates available in Wellington.
I had this happen other week, and had to spend the night in CHC. This was an ATR flight, Captain said it was a Gate Issue. Could see the lights of Wellington out the window, but had to turn around. Didn't think the WX was all that bad (by WLG standards), but whats happening on the ground can be a very different thing sometimes!

I just put it down to Regional flying in NZ, in Winter. All fun and games! Air NZ handled it well, and I was having dinner at the Hotel within 45mins of landing. Back in WLG by 8am the next morning.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I assume AirNZ didn’t pay for the forced overnight?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I assume AirNZ didn’t pay for the forced overnight?
Airline were awesome for me personally. A CSA had everything organized for me when I got to the counter. Actually felt like there was a little bit of the Air NZ Care and a bit of the magic of years long gone... Thinking I probably just got lucky
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE
We certainly didn't get the royal treatment - told we could try go up to Auckland and come into Wellington on a jet and were warned we could get stuck up there! We were on a work trip so didn't push for a hotel. My one question regarding the gates was does anyone know what the wind threshold is when they can't park into the gate and have to face into the wind?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Alphapapa
We certainly didn't get the royal treatment - told we could try go up to Auckland and come into Wellington on a jet and were warned we could get stuck up there! We were on a work trip so didn't push for a hotel. My one question regarding the gates was does anyone know what the wind threshold is when they can't park into the gate and have to face into the wind?
35kts tailwind is the limit for the Q300 starting with ground power. ATR would be similar or more restrictive. The gates are east facing so presumably a Nor'westerly or Westerly approaching that limit or forecast to reach it shortly would have them switch the gate config.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.