Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recognition Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gratn
Hi

i can’t answer for 2 pax, but do have experience with one. We booked the family of 5 (2x adults, 2x children, 1x infant) in Economy and lodged APD upgrades to PE for a flight from LAX to AKL.

At the gate one upgrade cleared and was offered to me as the passenger with GE status. I declined on the basis of marital harmony. On the plane my wife was then offered the upgrade (she’s a GE Partner).- she was less concerned about harmony so accepted 😂.

My wife took our infant with her and then got booted back to Economy on the basis there was no upgrade for the baby, but that’s a different (and annoying) story.
Thank you for that and the humour.
gratn likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gratn
Hi

My wife took our infant with her and then got booted back to Economy on the basis there was no upgrade for the baby, but that’s a different (and annoying) story.
Interesting, about 8 years back I was travelling with my family, total five of us, from HKG-AKL, and my upgrade cleared at the gate, and I took my 18 month old with me into BP and got no complaints (I dont think I specifically asked). He was actually travelling with his own seat in Y even though he could have been lap infant but they let me take him into BP, and he slept most of the way next to me. That meant the other three got to share five seats! Odd they would not let your wife bring a baby under 2.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Im glad for you. I think we were just unlucky. We had applied 4 upgrade requests for AKL-LAX and they all cleared, so all five of us moved to PE without issue.

On the way back the Flight Manager seemingly got involved and objected after my wife and daughter had moved, because we hadn’t sought (or received) an upgrade for the infant. The fact this wasn’t possible didn’t carry any weight. It seemed crazy, as the upgrade didn’t go to anyone else and the seat stayed empty instead. The flight attendants seemed embarrassed and we got fabulous service in economy throughout the flight. I reached out to the Elite team once we were home to ask what the correct position was, and didn’t even get a response.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 3:10 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Interesting, about 8 years back I was travelling with my family, total five of us, from HKG-AKL, and my upgrade cleared at the gate, and I took my 18 month old with me into BP and got no complaints (I dont think I specifically asked). He was actually travelling with his own seat in Y even though he could have been lap infant but they let me take him into BP, and he slept most of the way next to me. That meant the other three got to share five seats! Odd they would not let your wife bring a baby under 2.
Tricky in your situation, If you happen to be in a different cabin i.e. I was in J and wife and 1.5 year old with sky couch in Y. I booked the 1.5year old purposely on my ticket in J - easy to transfer down a class but near impossible to take an infant in lap with you back up to J if not officially connected. Who was the infant tagged to in terms of lap infant for passenger "X"?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 11:54 am

Question - AKL-USA routes, viz. Houston and SFO, are they J light say after Christmas and pre-new year (eg 26-29 Dec)? About to lock in X2 as we both have status.

Also, if you fly USA and have an Air NZ ticket connecting to a partner airline (UA, AM etc), and you miss the connection because of being held up by immigration (I have a B1 visa which is always flagged after a trip to North Korea), does the airline rebook you or am I made to buy a new flight? I could never do < 2 hours, LAX in July was 2 hours. I know this isn't upgrade, but thought I'd ask rather than create two posts. Air NZ call centre is a 4 hour wait.
Old May 24, 2023, 9:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints silver, Koru member
Combining upgrade request types

Hi all, apologies if this is asked/answered elsewhere. I currently have two RU vouchers. I would like to attempt to use one of these for a AKL-SYD flight booked for Sept, however I am travelling with my daughter (both in premium economy) and seeing as I can't use the other voucher for her (sadly I'm Gold not Elite!), I could attempt to OneUp her seat. Is there a way of linking the two upgrade requests so that they're either both granted together, or neither granted?

Also, I'm due to drop from Gold to Silver tier in late June so presume I lose the RU vouchers after that if they're unused at that point?
Old May 24, 2023, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
No can’t combine or link electronically upgrade instruments. Lounge staff may be able to manage things manually but unlikely. Also RUs are cleared before OneUps - so your RU should (possibly) clear and the OneUp then fail. Not sure how (or if it is even possible) to then cancel your RU and get it back….

Yes, your RU will be lost on status change. If you have a foward booking after your renewal date, then you can lodge the RU on that before your drop to Silver.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 24, 2023 at 9:58 pm Reason: have keyboard, improved response
Old May 25, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints silver, Koru member
Thank you - it's what I suspected. The only forward booking I have after my renewal date is the one with my daughter. I called AirNZ and they immediately offered to put through the RU requests for both of us. Will keep my fingers crossed.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Last edited by chocfish; May 25, 2023 at 6:52 pm
Old Jun 25, 2023, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by brend
Hi all,

I am flying AKL to SIN with my family (2 adults, 2 young kids) in the July school holidays. I paid the extra $200 for the skycouch so in total we still have 4 seats. The seating map says that passengers can sit anywhere but on the receipt/invoice the skycouch is in my name and my partner has the single seat against her name.

I have 2x RU's to use so I applied for an upgrade and my partner will stay with the kids. (don't worry she'll get her turn on the way back )

If the RU clears I assume AIRNZ will just take the single seat away so my wife and 2xkids will be in the skycouch? or have I potentially voided the skycouch by applying the RU as the receipt shows the skycouch against my name.

Cheers
Sorry to resurrect this but I’m in the same position - wondering what the outcome was for you?
Old Jul 1, 2023, 12:50 am

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Hi all it’s been ages (pre-Covid) since I lodged an RU request so just wanting to check in on what the deal is for when they’re processed.

If I recall correctly for GEs a small number are processed more or less straight away, but if they’re not you’re left waiting until about a week before the flight.

As background I booked a AKL-MEL flight yesterday and lodged a short haul upgrade request.

Can I assume that because it hasn’t been approved yet I’ll be left waiting until about a week before I fly (March next year)?

cheers
Old Jul 1, 2023, 12:53 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
Hi all it’s been ages (pre-Covid) since I lodged an RU request so just wanting to check in on what the deal is for when they’re processed.

If I recall correctly for GEs a small number are processed more or less straight away, but if they’re not you’re left waiting until about a week before the flight.

As background I booked a AKL-MEL flight yesterday and lodged a short haul upgrade request.

Can I assume that because it hasn’t been approved yet I’ll be left waiting until about a week before I fly (March next year)?

cheers
It can be anytime.
The last flight was approved at the gate.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 1, 2023, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Beano
It can be anytime.
The last flight was approved at the gate.
​​​​​​
thanks Beano yea I get that and I’ve had that before too. I should have been clearer, that because it hasn’t been approved yet is it unlikely to be approved until at least a week before my flight? If I recall that was the situation a few years ago. If they’re not approved quickly you’re left waiting until a week (or maybe minutes) before your flight.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 1:13 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
thanks Beano yea I get that and I’ve had that before too. I should have been clearer, that because it hasn’t been approved yet is it unlikely to be approved until at least a week before my flight? If I recall that was the situation a few years ago. If they’re not approved quickly you’re left waiting until a week (or maybe minutes) before your flight.
I start doing a dummy booking about a week from the flight for nine BP seats....if it accepts it the morning of the flight the chances are pretty good
Old Jul 1, 2023, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Beano
I start doing a dummy booking about a week from the flight for nine BP seats....if it accepts it the morning of the flight the chances are pretty good
I do too, and unfortunately I’m in a 787 rather than a 777 so the J cabin is smaller. But again not really what I’m asking. In the past I’ve had RUs clear almost straight away (like 300 days out), and if they don’t I’ve had to wait until very close to my flight (in the case March). Asking if because it hasn’t cleared in 24 hours if I’m likely to have to wait until much closer (days or minutes out from my flight). Basically is there any point in me checking the app over the next week to see if it’s been approved. Hope that’s clear enough.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 1:49 am

I do too, and unfortunately I’m in a 787 rather than a 777 so the J cabin is smaller. But again not really what I’m asking. In the past I’ve had RUs clear almost straight away (like 300 days out), and if they don’t I’ve had to wait until very close to my flight (in the case March). Asking if because it hasn’t cleared in 24 hours if I’m likely to have to wait until much closer (days or minutes out from my flight). Basically is there any point in me checking the app over the next week to see if it’s been approved. Hope that’s clear enough.
Yeah if the R class are gone (or not added ) will have to wait to t-7days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.