Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recognition Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by beerandpork
S
- I'm Gold now, should hit Elite this year, very much looking forward to the immediate-upgrade-clearing thing
Best to separate hope and expectations.
My AKL-YVR did not clear, first one I've missed.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
In the past, J inventory has closely matched R inventory (ie, if you see J available, then R is likely available as well). For upgrades into PremEco, look for A inventory.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:35 pm

So I'm heading up AKL-SIN Tueaday morning on NZ282. 4 seats available in business class but no word on recognition success yet (usually pre COVID I'd get a confirm a week before the flight and a re-issued ticket).

Is it worth calling 0800 or should I just expect zero upgrade (as was the case 3 wees ago). No worries either way as I've learned not to use these vouchers and for 2023 have booked paid business on the cheap.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by delfindo
So I'm heading up AKL-SIN Tueaday morning on NZ282. 4 seats available in business class but no word on recognition success yet (usually pre COVID I'd get a confirm a week before the flight and a re-issued ticket).

Is it worth calling 0800 or should I just expect zero upgrade (as was the case 3 wees ago). No worries either way as I've learned not to use these vouchers and for 2023 have booked paid business on the cheap.
Ringing will do nothing.

The relevant team looks at flight at t-7ish, when goes to airport controlish and once check closes.

I think expectations should be set that RU will not clear at the moment as too many people buying the seats. Would guess only really elites have any chance at the moment.

Asia load factors lower than NA but often fly the v1 789 so less seats to move people into.
Thai-Kiwi, sbiddle and Beano like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Ringing will do nothing.

The relevant team looks at flight at t-7ish, when goes to airport controlish and once check closes.

I think expectations should be set that RU will not clear at the moment as too many people buying the seats. Would guess only really elites have any chance at the moment.

Asia load factors lower than NA but often fly the v1 789 so less seats to move people into.
Thanks very much. I have zero expectations and will not be booking around RUs in the future.
Ellice likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Just wondering - I think I have read here that upgrade space does not necessarily become available the moment a flight is available to be booked. Does anyone have any rough idea of when the space usually becomes available?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Just wondering - I think I have read here that upgrade space does not necessarily become available the moment a flight is available to be booked. Does anyone have any rough idea of when the space usually becomes available?
I have never seen anything definitive. Quite possibly by design.

Though at the moment are they even releasing A & R class? If yor can sell the seat why offer it before t-7days?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
They are for some flights at least, I have had automatic upgrades clear and purchased elite partner airfares, hoping to continue that luck!
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by delfindo
Thanks very much. I have zero expectations and will not be booking around RUs in the future.
I was upgraded to PE - only seat left, J full, and a lot of FFP wanting it. Was very happy...middle seat, back row, very good! Thanks Air NZ!
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

RU finally came through! From PE->J on AKL-LAX on my last flight as Gold (this flight puts me into Elite). Checked in at the airport, no updates, just got settled in at the lounge and they called my name. Ecstatic. Maybe this means they're finally opening up enough flights and the pricing is so ridiculous that J isn't always full of paid customers?
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
RU finally came through! From PE->J on AKL-LAX on my last flight as Gold (this flight puts me into Elite). Checked in at the airport, no updates, just got settled in at the lounge and they called my name. Ecstatic. Maybe this means they're finally opening up enough flights and the pricing is so ridiculous that J isn't always full of paid customers?
Nice! This is a single data point, so who really knows. I have gone from zero status to GE in 8 months, with about 3 months between each tier due to some unexpected work travel in Sep - all in full Y.

The Silver RU lodged before making Gold has cleared for return travel in Jan SIN-AKL. Have a Gold RU lodged before making GE for AKL-SIN, but the other Gold RU was unused as I went from Gold to GE quickly. I have gifted a GE RU to Mrs TK also AKL-SIN. The loads looks light on the day of travel (ho ho ho).

Sadly as reported earlier, none of the 4x gifted RUs in Jun and Sep cleared.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Maybe this means they're finally opening up enough flights and the pricing is so ridiculous that J isn't always full of paid customers?
I think you'll find that J is often always full/nearly full of paying passengers - there are many people willing to pay these fares. Things will likely get a bit better around Xmas/NY as corporate travel drops off but it'll probably be back to full loadings again around the middle of January.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
I think you'll find that J is often always full/nearly full of paying passengers - there are many people willing to pay these fares. Things will likely get a bit better around Xmas/NY as corporate travel drops off but it'll probably be back to full loadings again around the middle of January.
I have a flight from AKL to LAX at the end of December and J appears completely full (they have stopped selling tickets for Business, only Economy and PE are up for sale). I put in an upgrade request back in early July, but don't have much hope.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Planning for possible August trip.

Four people on one PNR booked in PE, requesting BP with APD's, assume no EP1s on the UG list and that I lodged request before anyone else.
If there are say two seats available, will they call me up and ask which of the two on my party I want upgraded?
Will they just pick two?
Will they skip us all together and find two singles or one double?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: NZ *G
Upgrades

Hi

i can’t answer for 2 pax, but do have experience with one. We booked the family of 5 (2x adults, 2x children, 1x infant) in Economy and lodged APD upgrades to PE for a flight from LAX to AKL.

At the gate one upgrade cleared and was offered to me as the passenger with GE status. I declined on the basis of marital harmony. On the plane my wife was then offered the upgrade (she’s a GE Partner).- she was less concerned about harmony so accepted 😂.

My wife took our infant with her and then got booted back to Economy on the basis there was no upgrade for the baby, but that’s a different (and annoying) story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.