Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air New Zealand | Air Points

Priority lane for domestic travel

Priority lane for domestic travel

Old Apr 12, 22, 7:32 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: NZ *G
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
The entry criteria was elite , gold and koru
The gave everyone a voting slip .
Just before you boarded the plane you inserted it into one of the slots indicating if you liked it or not.
I cannot believe I am the only person who has experienced this .
Well I'll be darned. What a great idea. Hope it stays in use.
sopwith7 is offline  
Old Apr 13, 22, 2:53 am
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: bne
Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,182
Priority lane

Originally Posted by WLGNZ View Post
Clarification please.
This was at security?
Or a lane for boarding the plane at the air bridge?

Thank you.
at the airbridge .
When you scan the boarding pass.
Priority is at the lounge side (for gate. 31)
the others the far end
Beano is offline  
Old Apr 13, 22, 5:31 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 840
So it's actually just a priority boarding lane?
henrus is offline  
Old Apr 13, 22, 5:35 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted by henrus View Post
So it's actually just a priority boarding lane?
For one gate?
nzkarit is offline  
Old Apr 13, 22, 5:36 am
  #20  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: bne
Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,182
Originally Posted by henrus View Post
So it's actually just a priority boarding lane?
Priority queue from one side of the boarding others the other side
Beano is offline  
Old Apr 13, 22, 6:23 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 840
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Priority queue from one side of the boarding others the other side
See everyone was getting excited thinking it was a priority queue for security screening (now that would be something!)

Having a single priority queue trial in the domestic terminal is hardly anything to get excited by. On A320 flights it's not uncommon to have half of the plane as HVC's and therefore eligible for premium boarding. Given that they typically make a premium call at most domestic jet boarding gates and then don't enforce it, I struggle to see how a larger scale roll out of a separate queue would achieve much.

Here in Australia both Qantas and Virgin Australia have premium boarding lanes at most airports. Qantas doesn't enforce the premium lane and when boarding commences they simultaneously start with the regular lane and premium lane. Virgin on the other hand have a separate premium lane and not only do they start premium boarding first (waiting for it to clear before regular boarding starts) but they also have very strict enforcement on using the lane.

Air New Zealand is generally quite good on international flights (except departing the smaller NZ airports like WLG, CHC, ZQN because the staff typically only board domestic flights) so if they could achieve that level across the domestic network then it'd be great but sadly I can't see that ever happening.
libertyuk and cavemanzk like this.
henrus is offline  
Old Apr 13, 22, 4:49 pm
  #22  
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,310
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Priority queue from one side of the boarding others the other side
It's been that way for years at that particular gate.

That gate has less space than other gates due to escalators from security, which is why it is offered there but not at other gates.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Apr 13, 22, 9:23 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: NZ *G
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
at the airbridge .
When you scan the boarding pass.
Priority is at the lounge side (for gate. 31)
the others the far end
Oooohhh I see.

Originally Posted by henrus View Post
See everyone was getting excited thinking it was a priority queue for security screening (now that would be something!)
Got me hook, line, and sinker!
sopwith7 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 22, 4:05 am
  #24  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: bne
Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,182
Priority lane

Spoke the flight attendants and they said it was a "trial" for one day only .
NO decision on whether it is to be permanently introduced yet.
Beano is offline  
Old Apr 16, 22, 4:30 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,376
I remember back in the day prob 4-5 years ago when they did have dual boarding lines (left and right) at AKL with priority boarding on one side at a few gates.

I had peak time flights on two occasions with this in place and used the normal line both times as it was shorter. It just can't work when it's not uncommon to have well over 50% of pax a peak time flight having status.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Apr 16, 22, 5:25 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 6,239
The "Premium Entrance" that VA has in SYD is an great experience with own check-in counters (if you have no bags) along with screening point directly into the Lounge from the curb side is ideal, hopefully NZ will do something along the likes of this at the new Domestic Terminal. For years they have had the Premium lift at International up to customs and security, while its not as good as it used to be its still an great short cut.

With domestic A321N's arriving over the next couple of years, the amount of people with access to Premium Boarding is just going to increase. With some A320s flights already have 60plus people with Prem Boarding rights....

I think they more need to introduce 3-4 self service gates at each A320/321 boarding gate, you see now see at airports like LHR.
Generally the que point isn't the getting on board, its more the waiting to scan the QR Code on the single podium (and if your lucky someone using an hand held scanner too)/
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Apr 16, 22, 5:27 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 653
Can anyone make it to the gate from the domestic Koru lounge when they announce boarding for premium passengers before they announce general boarding?
Even more challenging from the CHC Koru to gate.
Outbound24 likes this.
CHCflyer is offline  
Old Apr 16, 22, 5:43 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted by CHCflyer View Post
Can anyone make it to the gate from the domestic Koru lounge when they announce boarding for premium passengers before they announce general boarding?
Even more challenging from the CHC Koru to gate.
If you are standing a few metres away you will only make to the gate before the general call if you start moving when the person keys up the mic.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Apr 16, 22, 6:05 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
The "Premium Entrance" that VA has in SYD is an great experience with own check-in counters (if you have no bags) along with screening point directly into the Lounge from the curb side is ideal, hopefully NZ will do something along the likes of this at the new Domestic Terminal. For years they have had the Premium lift at International up to customs and security, while its not as good as it used to be its still an great short cut.

With domestic A321N's arriving over the next couple of years, the amount of people with access to Premium Boarding is just going to increase. With some A320s flights already have 60plus people with Prem Boarding rights....

I think they more need to introduce 3-4 self service gates at each A320/321 boarding gate, you see now see at airports like LHR.
Generally the que point isn't the getting on board, its more the waiting to scan the QR Code on the single podium (and if your lucky someone using an hand held scanner too)/
Premium entrance thinking of current airports isn't going to work. Even when they did the extension of the south west pier at Wellington the security layout sucks and get the security queue blocking the regional gates. Could have been interesting if the extended L2 all the way over security and regional gates and done a security and longue entrance from the valet side of check-in.

Also for more boarding lanes, could make it work in Wellington & Christchurch. Auckland just doesn't have the depth at the gate (31 is the worst place). Though with more boarding lanes just going to feed people to the plane faster and the aisle will just clog up. If anything most probably better to have the queue at the gate as when in the aisle any queue gets magnified if someone needs to move even a single row. Think the big thing will be making sure than all the A321 use gates capable of rear boarding, as when they move to front only boarding it takes forever.

Also little note mobile app has a Aztec Code not a QR code, completely different standard.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Apr 16, 22, 6:18 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 6,239
Originally Posted by CHCflyer View Post
Can anyone make it to the gate from the domestic Koru lounge when they announce boarding for premium passengers before they announce general boarding?
Even more challenging from the CHC Koru to gate.
Only in the old CHC Lounge , remember those side doors in the Lounge that used to let you exit directly to the front of the boarding line.
cavemanzk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread