Arrival RAT supervision

Old Apr 21, 22, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Please do report back on how things went. Mild self-interest
Will do!
Old Apr 21, 22, 7:33 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Has the government indicated when they might change the policy? Given their pedigree, I'm sure they will be in no rush....I can understand maybe trying to exclude covid positive non-citizens/residents who may require hospitalisation, but at this point requiring citizens to test before entering really seems pointless at this point, especially if they are having to RAT on arrival anyways? It seems a political decision, rather than a health one
Old Apr 22, 22, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brenrox View Post
Has the government indicated when they might change the policy? Given their pedigree, I'm sure they will be in no rush....I can understand maybe trying to exclude covid positive non-citizens/residents who may require hospitalisation, but at this point requiring citizens to test before entering really seems pointless at this point, especially if they are having to RAT on arrival anyways? It seems a political decision, rather than a health one
19 Apr 2022 (rnz.co.nz)-->MIQ not justified beyond November, health officials told govt last year
During the ~2 year pandemic having spent 50% in NZ & 50% in VIC, AU, the NZ "response" is far more politically driven.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Apr 26, 22, 7:32 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, AS, AC, QF
I arrived home yesterday morning from New York. In Manhattan there seemed to be a pop-up COVID19 testing booth on every corner. Weird.

Meeting the pre-departure tests was stressful AF, as I was leaving NYC at 16h Sunday, but my flight to NZ was leaving LAX at 21h50. That made the PCR test unworkable: the PCR because there was an 9 hour gap overnight. There was also only one RAT test option in my suburban Long Island location. COVID19 tests in NY are ostensibly "free", but since I don't have health insurance in Amreeka, I had to pay an "uninsured" clinical drop-in fee: US225. Their email "result" generically timestamped the test as "ooo 24 April" so the NZ gov't wouldn't accept that. The clinical couldn't email what was required, so we stopped there en route to EWR, as it's 90-120 minutes away, depending on traffic.

So I was in the back of a car, trying to get a photo of the certification uploaded so I could complete my arrival docs. 6 attempts and 3 phone calls to New Zealand later and it finally was accepted, just as we arrived at EWR.

The arrival process at AKL was much smoother. Biometric passport reading, scan to get RAT tests, bags collected, goods inspected (I had food), and what I thought would take at least 45 minutes took around 20. Shame Maccers wasn't open in the arrivals hall---I quite fancied an Egg McMuffin™.
Thai-Kiwi and NZbutterfly like this.
Old Apr 27, 22, 4:24 am

Programs: AC*E50K
Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
I arrived home yesterday morning from New York. In Manhattan there seemed to be a pop-up COVID19 testing booth on every corner. Weird.

Meeting the pre-departure tests was stressful AF, as I was leaving NYC at 16h Sunday, but my flight to NZ was leaving LAX at 21h50. That made the PCR test unworkable: the PCR because there was an 9 hour gap overnight. There was also only one RAT test option in my suburban Long Island location.
I used a (Canadian) Switch Health telehealth RAT to enter NZ via LAX on April 13 and it was, as I guess they say here, "easy as". I don't even quite remember who I showed the test result to.

When I was flying out of NZ in November, I did get them to agree that they could check me in separately for WLG-AKL in case that was before the PCR test arrived (morning WLG-AKL, evening AKL-LAX). In the event, it arrived first thing in the morning.

The arrival process at AKL was much smoother. Biometric passport reading, scan to get RAT tests, bags collected, goods inspected (I had food), and what I thought would take at least 45 minutes took around 20. Shame Maccers wasn't open in the arrivals hall---I quite fancied an Egg McMuffin.
Yes, goods inspection has been super fast last year and this year, but might get slower again as volumes increase. The load factors on the flights to LAX and YVR (and from them) seem quite high. Maybe the AC flight coming back on line in November will help with YVR.
jawnbc likes this.
Old Apr 27, 22, 10:05 am

Programs: UA GS, MR Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Meeting the pre-departure tests was stressful AF, as I was leaving NYC at 16h Sunday, but my flight to NZ was leaving LAX at 21h50. That made the PCR test unworkable: the PCR because there was an 9 hour gap overnight.
Since NZ gives us a 48 hour window for the PCR test, could you not have had the PCR test done first thing in the morning on Saturday? (since your NZ flight was leaving LAX at 21:50 Sunday). Asking as this my strategy this week. My flight to NZ leaves SFO Saturday night and I am getting my PCR done Friday morning in New Jersey (with the eMed Bimax telehealth backup to use on Saturday if my PCR result is delayed)
Old Apr 28, 22, 3:49 pm

Meeting the pre-departure tests was stressful AF, as I was leaving NYC at 16h Sunday, but my flight to NZ was leaving LAX at 21h50. That made the PCR test unworkable: the PCR because there was an 9 hour gap overnight. There was also only one RAT test option in my suburban Long Island location. COVID19 tests in NY are ostensibly "free", but since I don't have health insurance in Amreeka, I had to pay an "uninsured" clinical drop-in fee: US225. Their email "result" generically timestamped the test as "ooo 24 April" so the NZ gov't wouldn't accept that. The clinical couldn't email what was required, so we stopped there en route to EWR, as it's 90-120 minutes away, depending on traffic.

So I was in the back of a car, trying to get a photo of the certification uploaded so I could complete my arrival docs. 6 attempts and 3 phone calls to New Zealand later and it finally was accepted, just as we arrived at EWR.

The arrival process at AKL was much smoother. Biometric passport reading, scan to get RAT tests, bags collected, goods inspected (I had food), and what I thought would take at least 45 minutes took around 20. Shame Maccers wasn't open in the arrivals hall---I quite fancied an Egg McMuffin.
This sounds like a massive PITA....I will be returning from Indianapolis end of next month, so will have to go through the ordeal, and expense - they seem a lot more pricier in the US too. I've already had SARS-CoV-2, I don't suppose there is any waiver/exemption if you have a certificate that you have recovered from it recently?
Old Apr 29, 22, 8:03 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
This sounds like a massive PITA....I will be returning from Indianapolis end of next month, so will have to go through the ordeal, and expense - they seem a lot more pricier in the US too. I've already had SARS-CoV-2, I don't suppose there is any waiver/exemption if you have a certificate that you have recovered from it recently?
You still need an pre departure test, even if it positive! If you have an positive test, you will need an doctor to say you are recovered.
Old May 2, 22, 11:49 pm

For those who may be flying to NZ from the US, or have a US eMed Bimax antigen telehealth test, I can confirm that the NZ Government accepted this test result last Saturday and issued my son the NZ Traveler Pass.
Old May 3, 22, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by pigzilla View Post
For those who may be flying to NZ from the US, or have a US eMed Bimax antigen telehealth test, I can confirm that the NZ Government accepted this test result last Saturday and issued my son the NZ Traveler Pass.
Are these (or other telehealth tests) available from a pharmacy in the US, or only online? I'm assuming there are none here in NZ yet.
Old May 3, 22, 1:55 am

Are these (or other telehealth tests) available from a pharmacy in the US, or only online? I'm assuming there are none here in NZ yet.
Online and in pharmacy (CVS) in the US. the eMed Bimax tests are only available online but the Ellume tests are in CVS stores. This link lists some of the different ones available. These At-Home COVID Tests are CDC-Approved for Travel (afar.com)
I don't know about availability in NZ stores, sorry.
Old May 4, 22, 2:45 am

Online and in pharmacy (CVS) in the US. the eMed Bimax tests are only available online but the Ellume tests are in CVS stores. This link lists some of the different ones available. These At-Home COVID Tests are CDC-Approved for Travel (afar.com)
I don't know about availability in NZ stores, sorry.
Perfect, thank you. I'll pop into CVS to grab one
Old May 4, 22, 6:55 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, AS, AC, QF
No one in NY would guarantee a PCR test would come back in 36 hours (my check in time for my EWR LAX flight). And no one was available at 01h NY time Saturday morning to conduct a PCR test that would maximise the 48 hour window.

Since NZ gives us a 48 hour window for the PCR test, could you not have had the PCR test done first thing in the morning on Saturday? (since your NZ flight was leaving LAX at 21:50 Sunday). Asking as this my strategy this week. My flight to NZ leaves SFO Saturday night and I am getting my PCR done Friday morning in New Jersey (with the eMed Bimax telehealth backup to use on Saturday if my PCR result is delayed)
Old May 4, 22, 7:33 pm

Found this on Healthpoint...an NZ-based tele-medicine provider for supervised RATs...looks to be 75NZD so cheaper to go to to Chemist Warehouse for ex. NZ testing, but should be cheaper and easier for coming back to NZ. BYO test as well, so can use any approved RAT.

https://www.healthpoint.co.nz/commun...e-travel-test/
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 4, 22, 7:41 pm

Programs: TG*G, NZ*G, QF G, Accor Gold
OK, good to know. I have 1 hour in DC 9am-10am sort a RAT prior to heading to Dulles and checking in for a 1pm flight to LAX/AKL.

Search this Thread