Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

New Business Premier seats, Business Premier Luxe suites

Old Mar 29, 2022, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Photos contained in a legal filing made to the US Department of Transport this week reveal Air New Zealand's long-awaited next-generation Business Premier class, with the airline adopting a forward-facing seat (looks like the Collins Aerospace 'Super Diamond') in a 1-2-1 layout, with Row 1 upgraded to Business Premier Luxe suites with more room and sliding privacy doors.

More at https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...business-class
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
I'm confused, the article says they will be "forward facing" but the accompanying diagram showing the seating arrangement still looks angled to me.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The seats are all forward facing - vs the combination of forward and rear facing that is common on a number of airlines (BA and AA being two such example).
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Hmm seems like more of a catch up product vs something more revolutionary (and perhaps still not leading edge given the lack of doors in most seats)
djsflynn and ottiehund like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:01 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Velocity Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by samjnz
Hmm seems like more of a catch up product vs something more revolutionary (and perhaps still not leading edge given the lack of doors in most seats)
Yes not revolutionary at all, VA had these on there wide bodies a while ago and quite a few airlines have these seats. A great improvement on the current BP. I am unsure if I would pay the extra for the premier luxe.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Well over due. I flew BP in January and it was a real throw back compared to other offerings around. Hope to one day fly this JFK - AKL. As a kiwi having lived in NY for over a decade its nice to have home one (very long) flight away.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:10 am

It looks like QRs B787-9 Adient Ascent to me rather than EY or BAs Super Diamond. The giveaway is the centre seats, which look like they are angled towards the aisle (Ascent) rather than towards the centre axis (Super Diamond).
Old Mar 30, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Top of climb
It looks like QRs B787-9 Adient Ascent to me rather than EY or BAs Super Diamond. The giveaway is the centre seats, which look like they are angled towards the aisle (Ascent) rather than towards the centre axis (Super Diamond).
Lucky at OMAAT guesses that seat too

https://onemileatatime.com/news/air-...erm=2022-03-30

"Based on what we know so far, I cant quite make out what seat manufacturer Air New Zealand will be using. Is this some sort of modified Adient Ascent seat, similar to Qatar Airways new 787-9 business class, and what Hawaiian Airlines will introduce on its 787-9s? Thats my best guess"
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: RFC
I think I'm the only person on the planet that wanted/hoped for an updated version of the JAL J Sky Suite seats. I always liked those. A product improved version would be nice.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Adient have confirmed it isn't one of their seats so that guess was wrong..
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
The new seat looks very disappointing. Unclear why they are even bothering to make the change. Aisle-facing herringbone are less preferred by pax than window/centre-facing seats are. Being aisle-facing and with minimal shrouding to the sides, theres minimal privacy. While the NZ business cabin has greater shares of premium leisure customers than, say, a typical BA or LH flight, I understand why NZ want to have pairs of seats. But why then outward racing centre pairs rather than inward facing? And why is only row 1 having the C+ product when the first row of Zone B shows the same seat? This seat and layout is surprising.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
The new seat looks very disappointing. Unclear why they are even bothering to make the change. Aisle-facing herringbone are less preferred by pax than window/centre-facing seats are. Being aisle-facing and with minimal shrouding to the sides, there’s minimal privacy. While the NZ business cabin has greater shares of premium leisure customers than, say, a typical BA or LH flight, I understand why NZ want to have pairs of seats. But why then outward racing centre pairs rather than inward facing? And why is only row 1 having the C+ product when the first row of Zone B shows the same seat? This seat and layout is surprising.
I completely agree re the aisle-facing aspect. Why on EARTH would they choose the one other design out there which retains the most hated element of their current design, ie facing towards the aisle rather than away? Arguably not such a big deal for the centre rows (though still not ideal) but really annoying for the window seats. There's a reason why, once designers figured out how to make reverse herringbone seats work, nobody has gone back to doing herringbone seats. There are excellent reverse herringbone seats that work 1-2-1 in a 787.... I'm beyond disappointed by this.

There's more to seat design than just which way they're oriented, so I'm sure there are many ways these are a substantial step forward - especially over the awkward and compromised version of the BP seats in the 787s, but wow, way to keep us waiting for a decade and then massively under-deliver.

(For those who might not have noticed, there was a link in the ET article to the website which originally broke the story, which included a LOPA diagram clearly showing aisle facing layout: https://paxex.aero/air-new-zealand-b...er-luxe-787-9/ )
poopbunny likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
I think I'm the only person on the planet that wanted/hoped for an updated version of the JAL J Sky Suite seats. I always liked those. A product improved version would be nice.
I really like them too. Haven't tried JAL's version but have flown Oman Air's. Very lacking in good storage space but amazing level of privacy, especially in the window seats.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:36 pm

Has anyone released the actual PDF? I'm assuming the images in the PDF are better than the what seems like screen shots?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
Is the aisle-facing aspect because NZ considers that it's more sociable and so more "kiwi"? I think I read something like that in early suggestions about the revamp. I'd way rather face the window and away from others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.