Search

Reopening of Int'l Lounge at AKL?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, HHonors Diamond,
Reopening of Int'l Lounge at AKL?

Kia ora all

With things now opening up, starting with Australia next week, and the rest of the world in mid March (and with NZ now moving to Stage 3 of the current framework), has there been any news on when the lounge in the international terminal will reopen? I can see the schedule to Australia is still pretty threadbare so wondering if it is worth their while? Haven't seen any announcements come out on this, like they did in the past. Anyone with insider info on this?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/inte...ge-information

International lounges
Our international lounges in New Zealand, Australia and Nadi are currently closed. The Rarotonga Lounge and the Star Alliance lounge in Los Angeles are currently open.

Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch International Lounges are planned to re-open in-line with the Trans-Tasman border and travel restrictions lifting.

All other International Lounges will be reviewed and re-open as border restrictions allow.
For NZ to AU have been no restrictions for AU entry for months (except for WA). (no quarantine)
For AU to NZ will get an initial surge (~9000 from a radio interview this morning). But AKL (departure) lounge is not part of that
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, HHonors Diamond,
In the AIrpoints newsletter for Feb which has just come out, seems like international lounges may open next week: [QUOTE]We’re excited to have our International Lounges opening again soon, in line with changes to the New Zealand border./QUOTE]

]

Last edited by riteshshah; Feb 24, 2022 at 11:47 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riteshshah
In the AIrpoints newsletter for Feb which has just come out, seems like international lounges may open next week:
We’re excited to have our International Lounges opening again soon, in line with changes to the New Zealand border.
Changed from yesterday
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/inte...ge-information
International lounges
Our international lounges in New Zealand, Australia and Nadi are currently closed. The Rarotonga Lounge and the Star Alliance lounge in Los Angeles are currently open.

Auckland and Christchurch International Lounges are planned to re-open on Monday 28 February, in-line with the Trans-Tasman border and travel restrictions lifting.

All other International Lounges will be reviewed and re-open as border restrictions allow.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: United
Hi all - given the international lounge is open and airside, are they also open for transit passengers? eg. USA -> Auckland -> Australia?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jbeechen2
Hi all - given the international lounge is open and airside, are they also open for transit passengers? eg. USA -> Auckland -> Australia?
Transit pax go through a small security check very soon after after arrival, and once through are immediately airside on departures. Usually a very fast and painless process.

So the lounge will be available.
jbeechen2 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Transit pax go through a small security check very soon after after arrival, and once through are immediately airside on departures. Usually a very fast and painless process.

Meanwhile, it's getting to be silly that NZ lounges in SYD and MEL are closed, but with QF back on the Tasman (SYD-AKL for now), QF business class and QFF Gold/OWS equivalents (and of course QFF Platinum/OWE) passengers get to use the QF 1st lounges at both airports. SQ lounges are open limited hours at both airports.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:11 am

Is this actually the case or are they still using the transit holding area?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by henrus
Is this actually the case or are they still using the transit holding area?
I last did this in 2019, so don’t know how the current system is running. Transit holding sounds less than ideal!
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:04 am

I last did this in 2019, so don’t know how the current system is running. Transit holding sounds less than ideal!
Prior to the bubbles it was possible to just roam the airport like a normal transit, this didn't matter too much as nothing was open.

Just before the bubbles opened (early 2021) up they turned the satellite gate areas into a transit holding area:
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/information/transit

There is a small duty free store, vending machines and a counter to order food from the vantage bar (only if it's open). This made sense during the bubbles given they didn't want red zone international transits mixing with green zone departures to AU/CK. Obviously now with no MIQ and no green/red flights this area makes zero sense and means that transit passenger still can't access the Air NZ lounge whilst in transit.

I would have thought they'd scrap the space once MIQ goes but no one seems to be able to provide an answer as to if there is still a transit holding area. I'm hoping that by mid next month when I next fly through this will be gone and transits will be back to normal.

What makes this even more annoying is that someone flying AU via NZ to LAX with a New Zealand passport could technically enter New Zealand and then pass back through normal departures to access the normal departures area but if they chose to go via transit security or don't hold a New Zealand passport then they're stuck in the transit holding area.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by libertyuk
Meanwhile, it's getting to be silly that NZ lounges in SYD and MEL are closed, but with QF back on the Tasman (SYD-AKL for now), QF business class and QFF Gold/OWS equivalents (and of course QFF Platinum/OWE) passengers get to use the QF 1st lounges at both airports. SQ lounges are open limited hours at both airports.
However, the QF lounge in AKL isn't open yet. Given the drop of isolation requirements, my guess is the Air NZ AU lounges will open in the next month or so and similarly the QF business lounges in AU and their AKL lounge will also open pretty soon.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by AviationNZ
However, the QF lounge in AKL isn't open yet. Given the drop of isolation requirements, my guess is the Air NZ AU lounges will open in the next month or so and similarly the QF business lounges in AU and their AKL lounge will also open pretty soon.
During the Tasman Bubble, the AKL QF Lounge didn't open and choose to send passengers to the NZ Lounge.

Hopefully QF will finally take the downtime at the moment to start the the AKL Lounge rebuild, and bring the lounge in the 2020s.
libertyuk likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:23 am

Does anyone know whether the intl priority check-in area is open as well? I've got a morning flight to AU and at the time, it does have another 3-4 Air NZ flights going out. First time traveling internationally since covid began! How are the normal check-in lines these days? Are lines still pretty non-existent or will priority check-in area actually help me...?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by flyer94
Does anyone know whether the intl priority check-in area is open as well? I've got a morning flight to AU and at the time, it does have another 3-4 Air NZ flights going out. First time traveling internationally since covid began! How are the normal check-in lines these days? Are lines still pretty non-existent or will priority check-in area actually help me...?
It wasn't open when I travelled 10 days ago, and there were a few flights departing around the same time (SYD/MEL/BNE/NRT). There was a separate premium check-in line (check in is done at the desks behind the kiosks, and premium is far right) and when I arrived there were only two sets of people ahead of me, so wait time would've only been 5 mins or so.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by AviationNZ
It wasn't open when I travelled 10 days ago, and there were a few flights departing around the same time (SYD/MEL/BNE/NRT). There was a separate premium check-in line (check in is done at the desks behind the kiosks, and premium is far right) and when I arrived there were only two sets of people ahead of me, so wait time would've only been 5 mins or so.
I see - thanks! Were there any queues in the normal line? Or pretty empty?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.