Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Domestic fully vaccinated or test required mid December

Domestic fully vaccinated or test required mid December

Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
They're banned for private use in NZ by the Govt except for use by a small number of approved companies.
Yeah it seems with the rapid tests the false negatives rate if test daily or every shift the probabilities work out as helpful.

If just a single test the statistics say get a PCR who's false negative rate is lower.

Of course this would change again if the number of cases were very high where you would still detect some cases even with the false negatives, so better than nothing.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Yeah it seems with the rapid tests the false negatives rate if test daily or every shift the probabilities work out as helpful.

If just a single test the statistics say get a PCR who's false negative rate is lower.

Of course this would change again if the number of cases were very high where you would still detect some cases even with the false negatives, so better than nothing.
The PCR tests are only the "Gold Standard" in an larger outbreak if test results can be turned around quick, I know of people in Auckland that have waited 3-4 days to get there test results back.
That point most people are giving up on waiting an are back in the community. You might of gone of an PCR test for an small cough, which had gone within two days so by the time the test results are back you have already self said I probably don't have Covid.

At SIN they can turn around an PCR test at the airport within an coupe of hours, in AKL you can't do it at the airport and it takes days to get an result.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I'm excited/interested to see the update to the Air NZ App that connects to the vaccine pass app (whatever it ends up being called) to verify vaccination status
Old Nov 10, 2021, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I'm excited/interested to see the update to the Air NZ App that connects to the vaccine pass app (whatever it ends up being called) to verify vaccination status
What are you expecting?
It will just be like the scan passport page won't it?

And a prompt in the check-in flow to ensure that have previously scanned your QR code, like there is a step currently saying if feel sick don't fly.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
What are you expecting?
It will just be like the scan passport page won't it?

And a prompt in the check-in flow to ensure that have previously scanned your QR code, like there is a step currently saying if feel sick don't fly.
Something more sophisticated that won't require any scanning - a direct link (or via intermediary vaccine pass app) to the National Immunization Register. I'm sure there will be a scanning option for people that carry around paper vaccine certificates with an official QR code on it.

Also the Govt vaccine app will also include COVID-19 test results so you'll be able to use that app to confirm a negative test officially rather than a text message.

Last edited by NZ_Flyer; Nov 10, 2021 at 2:04 pm
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
There are two broad machines in use for PCR - one is a rapid single sample test and the other a slower batched test. The single rapid test is more expensive and the PCR test being used at Heathrow and the like. The batch testing is the over night send away swab. The former is 2.5x cost of the later.

In my view the gate keeping on the rapid antigen testing is overreach. The MOH does not have a monopoly on technical knowledge around the appropriate use of this technology and their behaviour here is a mix of arrogance and failure of imagination.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Just thinking about the traffic light rules. Would the longues count as hospitality venues, so if they want more than 100 inside will they require certificates for those?
Yes lounges count as hospo venues.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes lounges count as hospo venues.
Which mean they at-least get to open at RED, with an maximum of 100 people provided they are double jabbed.
https://covid19.govt.nz/assets/COVID...tober-2021.pdf

That provide that us Aucklanders can go somewhere this summer.

If at arrange the Lounge can have unlimited people, provided they are double jabbed.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
What about those that have lounge access, but are not vaxxed and instead have a negative test for their flight.

Under the TL system, the un-vaxxed would be barred from Lounge entry.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
What about those that have lounge access, but are not vaxxed and instead have a negative test for their flight.

Under the TL system, the un-vaxxed would be barred from Lounge entry.
Yep, that is how I would read it.

Would be interesting about the food courts at airports as well and what they introduce to stay open. As my reading if didn't check vaccination status wouldn't be able to use the tables in orange or red as is pickup only & in green limited to 100 people.

So they will be checking vaccine status so they can use their tables.

Going to be an interesting situation traveling for those without a vaccine certificate.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:33 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond

Would be interesting about the food courts at airports as well and what they introduce to stay open. As my reading if didn't check vaccination status wouldn't be able to use the tables in orange or red as is pickup only & in green limited to 100 people.

Going to be an interesting situation traveling for those without a vaccine certificate.
Or a overseas vaccine certificate.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 4:34 pm

The Traffic Light system seems to an few issues to work through.

For example at RED from my understanding if your not vaccinated you can't access retail, therefore you probably wouldn't be allowed to access to the shopping mall e.g. it would be pointless to say non vaccinated people can walk around the mall but just cant enter the stores.

So then what does say the AKL Domestic Terminal account as? its effectively an shopping mall which happens to have gates for aircraft to park at (well thats how AIAL thinks airports work).

Therefore under RED would no vaccinated be even allowed in the terminal? even with an negative test.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
The Traffic Light system seems to an few issues to work through.

For example at RED from my understanding if your not vaccinated you can't access retail, therefore you probably wouldn't be allowed to access to the shopping mall e.g. it would be pointless to say non vaccinated people can walk around the mall but just cant enter the stores.

So then what does say the AKL Domestic Terminal account as? its effectively an shopping mall which happens to have gates for aircraft to park at (well thats how AIAL thinks airports work).

Therefore under RED would no vaccinated be even allowed in the terminal? even with an negative test.
I'm not sure, it could well be the case, because they are exceeding the number limit for unvaccinated persons in an indoor venue.

I would just prefer not to have an unvaccinated person sitting next to me on a plane, regardless of test results. It is a right to not have a vaccine, but what about the rights of the rest of us to a safe environment?
Old Nov 14, 2021, 1:34 am

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by edmm

I would just prefer not to have an unvaccinated person sitting next to me on a plane, regardless of test results. It is a right to not have a vaccine, but what about the rights of the rest of us to a safe environment?
By the same token I could say that I am not comfortable sitting next to a Vaccinated person, especially not knowing whether they have Covid or not. Yes the Testing system is floored, but it gives a good indication. Cant get much safer then sitting next to someone who has just passed a Covid 19 test, rather then someone who hasnt been tested and still may or may not be carrying the Virus.

Dont think this is the right forum to discuss the pro/cons of the Vaccine, but I think overall Air NZ have done the right thing, not matter what they did, it was never going to please everyone.
MrLovebucket likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
By the same token I could say that I am not comfortable sitting next to a Vaccinated person, especially not knowing whether they have Covid or not. Yes the Testing system is floored, but it gives a good indication. Cant get much safer then sitting next to someone who has just passed a Covid 19 test, rather then someone who hasnt been tested and still may or may not be carrying the Virus.

Dont think this is the right forum to discuss the pro/cons of the Vaccine, but I think overall Air NZ have done the right thing, not matter what they did, it was never going to please everyone.
I am floored by your flawed statement

An unvaxxed but tested person may have been tested 3 days prior to flight, and then become infected since that negative test not quite your stated cant get much safer?!

I think the policy question is whether or not a fully vaxxed but untested pax is a lower risk (collectively) than an unvaxxed pax that was tested just <72 hours - and by collective I mean from public health perspective (the greater good) and not an individual risk perspective.

I agree this gets thorny and best left for other discussion venues.
WLG Base and NZ_Flyer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.