FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   A321 IFE domestic? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2058135-a321-ife-domestic.html)

racekp Nov 7, 2021 3:59 pm

A321 IFE domestic?

Hey Guys, sadly its been a long time since I have been able to take a flight, however we have one upcoming and the aircraft has just recently changed to an A321.

Just a quick question, is IFE made available for domestic travel if we bring our own headphones?

Cheers

Outbound24 Nov 7, 2021 4:18 pm

It was the last couple of times when I flew on them domstically, although the screen shows your name from your seat booking, when you try and log in with your Airpoints number and/or DOB (which obviously are correct) it locks you out after three attempts. It was the same with the people next to me as well who couldn't log in either - doesn't stop you from viewing the IFE though. I didn't bother asking a FA to check it out, they are busy enough on the short domestic flights as it is.

racekp Nov 7, 2021 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Outbound24 (Post 33710009)
It was the last couple of times when I flew on them domstically, although the screen shows your name from your seat booking, when you try and log in with your Airpoints number and/or DOB (which obviously are correct) it locks you out after three attempts. It was the same with the people next to me as well who couldn't log in either - doesn't stop you from viewing the IFE though. I didn't bother asking a FA to check it out, they are busy enough on the short domestic flights as it is.

Thanks will take some headphones anyway and see if can watch a few shows

henrus Nov 8, 2021 12:26 am

Yes if it's an A320neo, A321neo or one of the international configured A320s (can spot the intl configured a320's as they have 1D, 1E and 1F whilst the domestic don't) then IFE is enabled for the flight although you must bring your own headphones (they don't provide them).

Inflight wifi is also enabled on the A320/1neos on domestic flights and is free as well.

Kiwi Flyer Nov 9, 2021 7:47 am

Where available ...

IFE is on at start of boarding (except when safety video is playing), and switches off during taxi to terminal.

Wifi comes on after takeoff.

Trumpkin Nov 12, 2021 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 33714304)
Wifi comes on after takeoff.

Tail fade can be an issue when flying south.

jdavido Nov 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Outbound24 (Post 33710009)

Domestic flights numbers are not loaded on the system, so crew use a flight between AAA to BBB. This is why the system does not load the profile with your preferences

cavemanzk Nov 29, 2021 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by jdavido (Post 33770264)
Domestic flights numbers are not loaded on the system, so crew use a flight between AAA to BBB. This is why the system does not load the profile with your preferences

And why your flight to Wellington is sometimes 12hours long, but it seems to balance out once you get into the air.

The best ones if when you get on of the special light numbers e.g. the NZ12XX and that flight number had been used in the past international. Had an few when its telling you your about to head some exotic. But then after take off the aircraft does the turn left from AKL, and hope of an tropical holiday is gone.

jdavido Nov 30, 2021 12:51 am

yes, BBB is in the middle of the US.
You are right, at about 2,000fr the aircraft system overrides the IFE and input the correct flight number. But the system cannot upload the profile of passengers anymore at this stage unfortunately

bevan7 Nov 30, 2021 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Trumpkin (Post 33722136)
Tail fade can be an issue when flying south.

What is tail fade?

nzkarit Nov 30, 2021 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by bevan7 (Post 33771928)
What is tail fade?

When the tail is inbetween the satellite and the dish.

The satellites are in an equatorial orbit so when heading south the tail causes a shadow over the dish. More pronounced on A320/1 as dish closer to the tail than with 772 for example.