Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Estimated opening up of travel to and from Auckland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Estimated opening up of travel to and from Auckland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2021, 5:54 pm

Currently can only do online credit for domestic until 31 Oct. Wonder when they will change or are they leaving 1 Nov via call centre so give credits for boundary crossing?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I think the political pressure to open up domestically (and internationally) will start to really mount up in the next few weeks. Especially when the next polling numbers are released. So I'd stay optimistic for a turnaround.
gratn likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:40 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I think the political pressure to open up domestically (and internationally) will start to really mount up in the next few weeks. Especially when the next polling numbers are released. So I'd stay optimistic for a turnaround.
Agree - I don't know how well todays pathway has gone down with the general public? I know within my close friend group, there was an lot of upset people about it (although were are all Young Aucklanders).

With VIC/NSW opening to the world next Week, can see that mounting to get AKL opened up to the world pretty quick.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Agree - I don't know how well todays pathway has gone down with the general public? I know within my close friend group, there was an lot of upset people about it (although were are all Young Aucklanders).

With VIC/NSW opening to the world next Week, can see that mounting to get AKL opened up to the world pretty quick.
Suppose it depends a lot on peer group/echo chamber. E.g. I'm hearing a of disappointment that have dropped the 90% requirement for ethnicities & age sub groups as one example.

And that people want to seen vaccination rate in AKL turn around the increasing case count number.

Suppose VIC & NSW gives us an evidence or removing MIQ does.

Though that is moving away from AirNZ travel stuff.

On AirNZ front hopefully the legislation changes give AirNZ the legal protection required to require vaccinations for domestic travel.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So based on the anncoucement today, "Auckland Island" is planned to stay in place until the entire country meets the 90% Double Jabbed, so maybe better luck in 2022 for Domestic Travel?
https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-levels...19-protection/
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
The chances of all the DHB's getting to 90% of the eligible population double jabbed is very low. In ~6 weeks (mid Dec) my guess is they will backtrack
A complicated system that only a public servant could think off. Compared to NSW- VIC where its all go---> self responsibility (A 3:30hr flight from NZ)
Even what the 90% they are measuring against is unknown/guess work. For example 1000's of students will be at Otago University, but can have the home address as there parents. And the 1000's of visa overstayers who do not want to exist to the authorities/tax office/DHB (stay hidden).

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 21, 2021 at 7:20 pm
Old Oct 21, 2021, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Credits for November and December 2021 bookings

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Currently can only do online credit for domestic until 31 Oct. Wonder when they will change or are they leaving 1 Nov via call centre so give credits for boundary crossing?
Perhaps AIRNZ will cancel and credit the booking a few days before the flight due to changes (reduction of flights).
Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:55 pm

On AirNZ front hopefully the legislation changes give AirNZ the legal protection required to require vaccinations for domestic travel.
Hopefully the legislation also allows companies like AirNZ, to allow you to provide your NHI number to them in there app so they can auto match you as being double vax and good to travel.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully the legislation also allows companies like AirNZ, to allow you to provide your NHI number to them in there app so they can auto match you as being double vax and good to travel.
But visitors to NZ (if anyone is allowed in) will not have an NHI number. And not everyone use "apps"
AU is rolling out an internationally recognised cert--->https://www.health.gov.au/initiative...s/certificates And ABC link
Just hope the NZ bureaucrats do not reinvent a square wheel (as they tend to do)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 21, 2021 at 10:17 pm
Old Oct 21, 2021, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
But visitors to NZ (if anyone is allowed in) will not have an NHI number. And not everyone use "apps"
AU is rolling out an internationally recognised cert--->https://www.health.gov.au/initiative...s/certificates And ABC link
Just hope the NZ bureaucrats do not reinvent a square wheel (as they tend to do)
I’m not hopefully I tired to use my New Zealand passport with the IATA App, and it failed to load it.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Verification

plus be able to deal with people who have the first jab in Australia
cavemanzk likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
plus be able to deal with people who have the first jab in Australia
Think you need your GP to take the Aussie paper work and add it to your records.
Or get an Aussie GP to add your NZ dose to your paper work over there.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
In something of a paradox, it's likely several DHBs on the North Island will hit these numbers well in advance of Christmas--and some of the regions like West coast will be much later. There is already a push on in Counties to lift Māori rates: 16k first jabs will hit the first milestone for South Auckland. Then add 4.5 weeks for hitting the second.
Unlike many other parts of the anglosphere we're not infected with as many anti-vax eejits--we have more hesitancy and lots of people for whom accessing a jab has been difficult.

Christmas in Auckland will be ka pai.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The chances of all the DHB's getting to 90% of the eligible population double jabbed is very low. In ~6 weeks (mid Dec) my guess is they will backtrack
A complicated system that only a public servant could think off. Compared to NSW- VIC where its all go---> self responsibility (A 3:30hr flight from NZ)
Even what the 90% they are measuring against is unknown/guess work. For example 1000's of students will be at Otago University, but can have the home address as there parents. And the 1000's of visa overstayers who do not want to exist to the authorities/tax office/DHB (stay hidden).
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:34 pm

Just got an automated cancellation for a AKL-WLG on 29 Nov flight.

So they are pushing through another bunch of cancellations.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

When is travel to and from prison Auckland likely.

Just got an automated cancellation for a AKL-WLG on 29 Nov flight.

So they are pushing through another bunch of cancellations.
looks like it is December at the earliest we can escape
Old Oct 26, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Anybody thinking they would be able to travel WLG-AKL without an exemption before the end of Nov at the very earliest (framework review is 29th Nov) was incredibly naive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.