Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

NZ Crew exempted from mandatory isolation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...from-isolation

This is interesting, so Air New Zealand Crew on "High Risk Flights" and who are fully vaccinated will exempted from mandatory isolation. All well and good but if a passengers the same said flights have been fully vaccinated then all things being equal the same should apply them to be fair.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by ClanJ
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...from-isolation

This is interesting, so Air New Zealand Crew on "High Risk Flights" and who are fully vaccinated will exempted from mandatory isolation. All well and good but if a passengers the same said flights have been fully vaccinated then all things being equal the same should apply them to be fair.
But it is not the same. The AirNZ crew are doing other things, like staying in their hotel room, going through crew security lanes, so not interacting with the population.

There is also a higher level of confidence that the AirNZ crew have actually had a vaccine when they say they have a had vaccine, there is no standard of proof of a vaccine has been administered as per the guidelines or that bit of paper you get in the US is real vs fake. Also people in Aussie or UK for example may have two doses but the doses were given more than 3 weeks apart, which is not what the label says should be done and doesn't have the testing to back it up.

So all things aren't equal.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
There is currently a health team deciding on advice to Govt about whether full vaccinated citizens/permanent residents need to do managed isolation on their return if they leave NZ and then come back. So fingers crossed they come up with something which then allows us to travel overseas sooner than expected - I imagine it would take the form of countries being placed into red or green categories and you'd be able to go to "green" countries if fully vaccinated without managed isolation on return. This seems like it's separate to the border opening for tourists and business travelers coming here.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by nzkarit
But it is not the same. The AirNZ crew are doing other things, like staying in their hotel room, going through crew security lanes, so not interacting with the population.

There is also a higher level of confidence that the AirNZ crew have actually had a vaccine when they say they have a had vaccine, there is no standard of proof of a vaccine has been administered as per the guidelines or that bit of paper you get in the US is real vs fake. Also people in Aussie or UK for example may have two doses but the doses were given more than 3 weeks apart, which is not what the label says should be done and doesn't have the testing to back it up.

So all things aren't equal.
They are literally going through the same airports as everyone else, and their standard of proof for vaccination isn't any different.

You can also get verifiable digital proof in a number of states in the US with vaccination information.

At this point the fact that the New Zealand government still hasn't communicated a plan for opening the country once at acceptable vaccination rates is a farce.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
There is currently a health team deciding on advice to Govt about whether full vaccinated citizens/permanent residents need to do managed isolation on their return if they leave NZ and then come back. So fingers crossed they come up with something which then allows us to travel overseas sooner than expected - I imagine it would take the form of countries being placed into red or green categories and you'd be able to go to "green" countries if fully vaccinated without managed isolation on return. This seems like it's separate to the border opening for tourists and business travelers coming here.
I can see zero chance NZ will be that risk adverse and allow that.

A probable scenario is that by early 2022 they allow those leaving NZ and returning who have been vaccinated here to only spend ~3 days or so in MIQ and pass a Covid test.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:47 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I can see zero chance NZ will be that risk adverse and allow that.

A probable scenario is that by early 2022 they allow those leaving NZ and returning who have been vaccinated here to only spend ~3 days or so in MIQ and pass a Covid test.
I don’t see it that way all. The use of the MIQ facilities will drop, not increase. If people have to do 3 days in MIQ on returning, the hotels will be bulging at the seams, as people will be travelling in considerable numbers .
In theNZ Herald this morning there is an article about Singapore Airlines pushing for a green route by summer, and this has been rumoured around Air NZ crew for several months now.

There are ways for the vaccination confirmations to be validated, even if it’s added like a visa to your passport .
Yes, NZ government are risk adverse, but even they will not be able to sit on their hands past the completion of their vaccination program, which is expected to be complete before year end.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
We are very risk adverse, but I think a green light corridor to Singapore in summer is 100% on the cards/a strong possibility - on the condition the vaccine rollout is successful and people actually get vaccinated.

Overseas results have shown that the covid threat can escalate quickly, and then de-escalate just as quickly with a strong vaccine push.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
It’s 100% on the cards because Australia is looking to do it in October / Nov at the latest and if we are not planning on the same it will sink our travel bubble with .au and that’s not going to fly.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by bce1
It’s 100% on the cards because Australia is looking to do it in October / Nov at the latest and if we are not planning on the same it will sink our travel bubble with .au and that’s not going to fly.
Umm no they not. They're not even sure right now if they'll have everybody vaccinated by the end of the year even with their Moderna vaccines.

The harsh reality for both NZ and Australia is that the early gains delivered by locking down and adopting an elimination style strategy are will becoming increasingly irrelevant as the vaccinated world reopens and we're left behind with borders shut.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by greer
I don’t see it that way all. The use of the MIQ facilities will drop, not increase. If people have to do 3 days in MIQ on returning, the hotels will be bulging at the seams, as people will be travelling in considerable numbers .
In theNZ Herald this morning there is an article about Singapore Airlines pushing for a green route by summer, and this has been rumoured around Air NZ crew for several months now.

There are ways for the vaccination confirmations to be validated, even if it’s added like a visa to your passport .
Yes, NZ government are risk adverse, but even they will not be able to sit on their hands past the completion of their vaccination program, which is expected to be complete before year end.
Based on those comments I'm assuming you haven't read the report into MIQ/MIF that was released last week. There is nothing right now to suggest that these facilitites will be disestablished before 30th June 2022 which is when they're fully funded until - the report does even raise the possibility that these facilities may be required until the end of 2022.

We have to accept we're locked down in our country and that the vast majority of the population seem happy living like this because we think we beat Covid and won...
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:10 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I have to agree with sbiddle. We will be left behind with shut borders.
My business earns nearly all our revenue offshore. Next week I am leaving NZ to be based off shore to grow our business. Back through MIQ in October. Then off shore until next year some time.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:01 pm

No point in getting into a my contacts know more than your contacts conversations. But I stand by what I said. Our direction of travel is more closely linked to Australia than it was pre-bubble.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Based on those comments I'm assuming you haven't read the report into MIQ/MIF that was released last week. There is nothing right now to suggest that these facilitites will be disestablished before 30th June 2022 which is when they're fully funded until - the report does even raise the possibility that these facilities may be required until the end of 2022.

We have to accept we're locked down in our country and that the vast majority of the population seem happy living like this because we think we beat Covid and won...
Absolutely no one in this thread suggested they would go away, the post you are replying to just suggested that their usage would be less as of summer/Q1 2022 to more countries that attain a green light status.

I have tried to find this report, I would like to read, it, but I can't find it - I can only find reports from earlier in the year - can you please post a link or let me know where you found it? Thank you!

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Jun 24, 2021 at 9:18 pm
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
I have to agree with sbiddle. We will be left behind with shut borders.
My business earns nearly all our revenue offshore. Next week I am leaving NZ to be based off shore to grow our business. Back through MIQ in October. Then off shore until next year some time.
Agree and have booked a trip to the UK with MIQ for September because I have to or I lose a substantial contract. The down side of our strategy will become increasingly clear over the next months. Especially when there are already conversations occurring that if we only get <60% vaccinated one idea is keeping us locked up essentially indefinitely…..
Above I was replying to the specific comment about Singapore, Australia and ongoing conversations about links.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by bce1
No point in getting into a my contacts know more than your contacts conversations. But I stand by what I said. Our direction of travel is more closely linked to Australia than it was pre-bubble.
Oh certainly. And the problem is while Australia are ahead of us with their vaccine rollout right now, we will surpass them. They're talking now about mid 2022 reopening, and we have to pretty much align ourselves with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.