Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

10% off trans-tasman flights 21 April 2021

Old Apr 20, 21, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

so click frenzy is advertising 10% off air NZ flights for 53 hours from 7pm last night AEST, with promo code NZ10.

Looked at Brisbane/Queenstown August 15, back week later on nonstops & was AU$810 each with checked bag & food & drink.

With 10% off $737 (no 10% of taxes obviously).

This doesn't seem a very special fare when for around $800 can get to LA return in peak season next year.
Old Apr 20, 21, 9:01 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Cheapest Air NZ seat only fares are around NZ$650 return at present, remembering of course that taxes have gone up about 30% since before Covid so around $250-$260 or so of that is tax.

I'm really not sure why you're expecting specials right now..
Old Apr 20, 21, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Cheapest Air NZ seat only fares are around NZ$650 return at present, remembering of course that taxes have gone up about 30% since before Covid so around $250-$260 or so of that is tax.

I'm really not sure why you're expecting specials right now..
10% off the fare, not including taxes, doesn't sound like much of a deal.

Almost no one going to Queenstown wants seat only. Taxes have gone up ~au$46 which is about 23% & think that might be for adults only, not sure & why is that ? Don't get anything more for $46.

September is a strange time in Queenstown as many believe snow all disappears after August 31. Think there will lots of airfare sales, if don't want to fly on a weekend & avoid school holidays. I would have thought a really good price point would have been say $499 return. If I was considering skiing, I'd think about going to USA in January, as it much MUCH cheaper there (airfare/lifts/accommodation, etc) due to lots of competition.
Old Apr 20, 21, 9:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
USA in January sounds awesome... Yet incredibly unlikely!
henrus and kiwicyclo like this.
Old Apr 20, 21, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
Why ? I'd think Air NZ should be flying there within months with no restrictions whatsoever. USA is opening up to world right now.
Old Apr 20, 21, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86 View Post
10% off the fare, not including taxes, doesn't sound like much of a deal.

Almost no one going to Queenstown wants seat only. Taxes have gone up ~au$46 which is about 23% & think that might be for adults only, not sure & why is that ? Don't get anything more for $46.

September is a strange time in Queenstown as many believe snow all disappears after August 31. Think there will lots of airfare sales, if don't want to fly on a weekend & avoid school holidays. I would have thought a really good price point would have been say $499 return. If I was considering skiing, I'd think about going to USA in January, as it much MUCH cheaper there (airfare/lifts/accommodation, etc) due to lots of competition.
Taxes have gone up because Australia put them up (and they differ by airport).

I'm still struggling to grasp why you think airfare should be cheaper. Air NZ and Qantas combined have literally lost a couple of $billion between them in the past year, and I'm sure are more than happy to sell sustainably priced seats rather than discounting with loss leader seats right now.
Old Apr 20, 21, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
Why? I'd think Air NZ should be flying there within months with no restrictions whatsoever. USA is opening up to world right now.
Air NZ have never stopped flying NZ<---->USA
Old Apr 20, 21, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Taxes have gone up because Australia put them up (and they differ by airport).

I'm still struggling to grasp why you think airfare should be cheaper. Air NZ and Qantas combined have literally lost a couple of $billion between them in the past year, and I'm sure are more than happy to sell sustainably priced seats rather than discounting with loss leader seats right now.
click frenzy is meant to be promoting red hot deals. Is $50 off an $800 airfare that special, when Australians got used to pay $500 or $600 for same ?
Old Apr 20, 21, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Air NZ have never stopped flying NZ<---->USA
with no restrictions, ie no quarantine at either end
Old Apr 20, 21, 10:10 pm

with no restrictions, ie no quarantine at either end
Yeah nah. There is basically zero chance of quarantine free travel to NZ before the end of the year.

But that decision has nothing to do with Air NZ, because they're not the one that imposes the managed isolation restrictions.
Old Apr 20, 21, 10:11 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Almost no one going to Queenstown wants seat only.
Speak for yourself (and the upfare is only like $30 anyway)
henrus likes this.
Old Apr 20, 21, 10:21 pm

click frenzy is meant to be promoting red hot deals. Is $50 off an $800 airfare that special, when Australians got used to pay $500 or $600 for same ?
What happened before covid has nothing to do with pricing now. This is the new normal.

Also they have seen good ticket sales, with current prices so they don't need a sale to get bums on seats. I have a flight booked and other last couple of weeks have seen the price go up which generally indicates flight is filling up

Taxes have gone up, airlines have been running in negative for over a year. They can't loss lead at the moment.

Also on the past a lot of TT sakes were one way, so got hit for the return leg. So $50 off now is like a $100 off pervious sale which was one way.
Old Apr 20, 21, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Yeah nah. There is basically zero chance of quarantine free travel to NZ before the end of the year.

But that decision has nothing to do with Air NZ, because they're not the one that imposes the managed isolation restrictions.
& you know this how ?

Air NZ & the rest of tourism businesses in NZ, must be putting enormous pressure on govts right now.
Old Apr 20, 21, 10:37 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
& you know this how ?

Air NZ & the rest of tourism businesses in NZ, must be putting enormous pressure on govts right now.
Extensively discussed in other threads but the lack of public appetite for this is far more politically important than any lobbying. Also of note is that the NZ Government is the majority shareholder of Air New Zealand.
Old Apr 20, 21, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
What happened before covid has nothing to do with pricing now. This is the new normal.

Also they have seen good ticket sales, with current prices so they don't need a sale to get bums on seats. I have a flight booked and other last couple of weeks have seen the price go up which generally indicates flight is filling up

Taxes have gone up, airlines have been running in negative for over a year. They can't loss lead at the moment.

Also on the past a lot of TT sakes were one way, so got hit for the return leg. So $50 off now is like a $100 off pervious sale which was one way.
yes pent up demand, from those who don't believe at the media hype, but this will wane soon, if prices don't drop. $599 or even $499 return aren't loss leaders.

To be accurate $50 off today, was actually $55 off an $800 fare ($550 + taxes) & most if not all Australians going on holiday in NZ are looking at return fare costs, unless they have eg. only enough frequent flyer points for one way.

The Air Asia OOL/AKL/OOL AU$199 fares of ~2 years ago were loss leaders, of course, but we have gone from a position of over supply (now no Air Asia, Virgin etc.) to a point where NZ is becoming an expensive place to holiday.

Since TT bubble announced many have rushed in & bought tickets, but surely airlines will have to have some very good fares later to fill aircraft.

If yields were that good surely Virgin would be rushing to fly the TT (or just taking a wait & see approach) & not wait until Sept 18, which is when they start Queenstown only I think.

Still I don't see why Virgin could do a few routes on a low frequency basis & then add flights if needed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: