Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aussie Again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:28 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
Missed out on a lunch date to Bondi Icebergs last April. Looks to be on the cards for ANZAC day this year.

I miss my Wednesday weekly day trips to Sydney.
Just if only they brought back that Aussie $69 Seat Only sale from last March I think allot of us booked short trios on that sale that never ended up going on them.

Notice some days in April Sydney is back to 5x Daily already!
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:49 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Nope there is only the single 789 fitted with WiFi

Irony is most of the aircraft fitted with WiFi are now gone - the 777-200 fleet is not planned to ever return and of the 2 x 77W that are planned to be returned to the lessor both WiFi equipped.
Wow! OK I will calibrate my expectations accordingly! I don't think I had grasped that the 772s were not returning. Is there a plan to add wifi to the rest of the long haul fleet or is the current view that there are far more pressing concerns?

Originally Posted by henrus
Qantas did disconnect their IFE and Wifi, however, the wifi was re-enabled late last year and the IFE is expected to be switched back on in the next week.
Well I know my experience of SYD-PER on March 26th (A332) and PER-SYD on April 4th (A332) was that despite both aircraft being fitted with wifi and IFE it was disabled both times. They made an announcement encouraging people to download content to their devices. I can understand the IFE being off for now but the lack of wifi seemed a bit mean.

Last edited by mad_atta; Apr 10, 2021 at 9:57 pm
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Well I know my experience of SYD-PER on March 26th (A332) and PER-SYD on April 4th (A332) was that despite both aircraft being fitted with wifi and IFE it was disabled both times. They made an announcement encouraging people to download content to their devices. I can understand the IFE being off for now but the lack of wifi seemed a bit mean.
NZ kept it turn on the whole time on the 320/1NEO’s and even went to the point of pointing out that your flight had WIFI if you where on an NEO.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:39 pm

AKL-HBA from 22 April!

Looks like Hobart has been put on sale overnight, starting on Thursday 22 April 2021.

Looks like AKL-HBA is operated by an A320CEO and not NEO at this stage.

Flights are Thursday // Friday NZ197 departs AKL at 0900 and NZ198 Departs HBA at 12:30.

AKL is soon to become very busy again around 0900 and 1700 daily!
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Looks like Hobart has been put on sale overnight, starting on Thursday 22 April 2021.

Looks like AKL-HBA is operated by an A320CEO and not NEO at this stage.

Flights are Thursday // Friday
Flights are Thurs and Sun.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Wow! OK I will calibrate my expectations accordingly! I don't think I had grasped that the 772s were not returning. Is there a plan to add wifi to the rest of the long haul fleet is the current view that there are far more pressing concerns?
Last time I asked it was still planned, but there was no timeframe for it. I guess there are more pressing things at the moment than spending huge $$$ on WiFi installs. The 789 was done at AKL, but all other 777 installs had been done in SIN while aircraft where there for maintenance.

The company owned 200's could potentially return if suddenly travel justified it, but they have all been written down and realistically with the -10 due from late 2022 onwards I simply don't see travel returning to levels that quickly that there will be a need.

One thing I'd be interested to know is what happens to things like seats / IFE on a leased aircraft. Obviously in some cases these stay with a leased aircraft even if it's returned to the lessor.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Good to see WA on board for the bubble today 👍
Great news! Used my credit for a return flight to PER during labour weekend and lodged my soon to expire RUs. Fingers crossed the bubble doesn’t burst !
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:50 pm

Does anyone know if they are processing RUs at purchase for elites at the moment or are they just doing at T-7d onwards?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:03 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Flew NZ123 this morning in J and FA's were well onboard with 'bubbles for the bubble' – very generous (I think I got three refills due to a slight ground delay) PDB's of actual Piper, and prompt service.

Good times ahead!
Fliar likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by samyoull
Flew NZ123 this morning in J and FA's were well onboard with 'bubbles for the bubble' – very generous (I think I got three refills due to a slight ground delay) PDB's of actual Piper, and prompt service.

Good times ahead!
Regular Piper Heidsieck or a reserve? First world problems I know but Piper is a bit of a backwards move from Laurent Perrier IMHO!
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:16 pm

Missed out on a lunch date to Bondi Icebergs last April. Looks to be on the cards for ANZAC day this year.

I miss my Wednesday weekly day trips to Sydney.
I've never actually done a day trip to Oz. Figured if I was going to go over for a day I may as well stay the night and drink!

I know a couple of friends who have done this on multiple occasions including a couple of times where they didn't even have carry on bags (one was a visit for lunch, the other for a meeting). On both occasions without bags they were questioned about why they didn't even have a carry on bag - obviously it's something that must trigger a "you must be dodgy" response from customs staff in Aussie.
mad_atta and Fliar like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
I've never actually done a day trip to Oz. Figured if I was going to go over for a day I may as well stay the night and drink!

I know a couple of friends who have done this on multiple occasions including a couple of times where they didn't even have carry on bags (one was a visit for lunch, the other for a meeting). On both occasions without bags they were questioned about why they didn't even have a carry on bag - obviously it's something that must trigger a "you must be dodgy" response from customs staff in Aussie.
I was rolling carry on only today and got some weird looks from customs until I explained that it was a quick trip, don't think they're used to it.

Regular Piper Heidsieck or a reserve? First world problems I know but Piper is a bit of a backwards move from Laurent Perrier IMHO!
I didn't catch it, but didn't NZ used to serve Dulcet on the ground?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:08 pm

How does MPI handle no carry-on the return to New Zealand? They would miss out in suspecting you for carrying an evil Australian grown apple.

I’ve definitely found I’ve been flagged before making an short trip to Australia, when you go to depart the same day and the SmartGate won’t let you out.

Ive stopped in Australia plenty of times for the day on the way home from Aisa. Often it seems the local customs officers in Australia don’t understand it.

Maybe New Zealanders are more open to crazy travel? We are an bunch that like travel too much.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by samyoull
I was rolling carry on only today and got some weird looks from customs until I explained that it was a quick trip, don't think they're used to it.

I didn't catch it, but didn't NZ used to serve Dulcet on the ground?
Yeah up until 3-4 years ago they used to serve sparkling on the ground in BP and didn't serve champagne until in the air.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Ive stopped in Australia plenty of times for the day on the way home from Aisa. Often it seems the local customs officers in Australia don’t understand it.

Maybe New Zealanders are more open to crazy travel? We are an bunch that like travel too much.
I've experienced multiple occasions in recent years where I've been engaged in friendly conversations with restaurant/bar/retail staff in Australia when I've been over there for a weekend and found them totally surprised that I'm just there for a weekend. I find that really surprising in a country where it's really that different to spending 2hrs + flying from Melbourne to Brisbane for a weekend!

It's not so common with Sat morning flights, but certainly on Fri flights you end up recognising significant numbers of people on the Sun night flights back. 25 years ago even people in NZ would have thought it was strange to go to Australia for a weekend, now it's become something people just do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.