787 on AKL CHC AKL

Old Mar 7, 21, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
787 on AKL CHC AKL

So, best I can tell once or twice a month air New Zealand will use a 787 between Auckland and Christchurch for whatever reason. Itís been hard to find any consistency but Iím wondering if there is anyone out there on the board who knows what the rhyme or reason is for the usage and if there is any way to track it in the schedules? Itís always nice to fly a widebody domestically and I was able to fly Christchurch Auckland coming out of lockdown last year. Best I can tell it is only once or twice a month and itís on a flight number beginning with a 6xxx.
Old Mar 7, 21, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by DLATL777 View Post
So, best I can tell once or twice a month air New Zealand will use a 787 between Auckland and Christchurch for whatever reason. Itís been hard to find any consistency but Iím wondering if there is anyone out there on the board who knows what the rhyme or reason is for the usage and if there is any way to track it in the schedules? Itís always nice to fly a widebody domestically and I was able to fly Christchurch Auckland coming out of lockdown last year. Best I can tell it is only once or twice a month and itís on a flight number beginning with a 6xxx.
6xxx is non revenue.
Will be positioning for cargo flights. Have been direct CHC to China cargo flights for example.
Some of the North America flights are starting in CHC to pick up freight

Last edited by nzkarit; Mar 7, 21 at 7:54 pm
Old Mar 7, 21, 10:11 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
There was an period around the middle of last year that they ran an almost daily 789 service between AKL-CHC-AKL in the afternoon.
Old Mar 8, 21, 12:19 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Air NZ have been flying CHC-LAX for several months now for freight services, so it's pointless flying a plane down empty if you can sell seats!
Old Mar 8, 21, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
There was an period around the middle of last year that they ran an almost daily 789 service between AKL-CHC-AKL in the afternoon.
Yeah it started right after the initial level 3 went to level two. Has anyone seen a revenue 787 domestically since?

Edited to add, I was able to figure it out at least as far as the flight number it used to operate on regularly. The 787 was used last year on flights 595/594 respectively from Auckland to Christchurch and back. It appears this stopped in early September best I can tell and has not come back.

Last edited by DLATL777; Mar 8, 21 at 3:54 am
Old Mar 8, 21, 10:43 am

Yeah it started right after the initial level 3 went to level two. Has anyone seen a revenue 787 domestically since?

Edited to add, I was able to figure it out at least as far as the flight number it used to operate on regularly. The 787 was used last year on flights 595/594 respectively from Auckland to Christchurch and back. It appears this stopped in early September best I can tell and has not come back.
That was when I think they were short of current A320 staff. More A320 staff are now current/converted to the type.

I don't think there are any revenue domestic 787 pax flights at the moment. When they position 787s with NZ6xxx flights they don't need cabin crew (nor needed for the revenue cargo flight).
Old Mar 8, 21, 11:43 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
That was when I think they were short of current A320 staff. More A320 staff are now current/converted to the type.
They had brought additional A32CEO's online domestically since, 6x of the old International ZK-OJ* A320CEOs have found there way onto domestic runs.
In addition to that the new International A320/321NEO's have been pull into the domestic fleet as well, durning peak times of the week.

Ironically the 320/321 domestic fleet pool, is now bigger than it was pre-covid.
Old Mar 8, 21, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
They had brought additional A32CEO's online domestically since, 6x of the old International ZK-OJ* A320CEOs have found there way onto domestic runs.
In addition to that the new International A320/321NEO's have been pull into the domestic fleet as well, durning peak times of the week.

Ironically the 320/321 domestic fleet pool, is now bigger than it was pre-covid.
There were regional CEOs were doing domestic runs pre COVID-19 as well.

My understanding it was more a staff issue. A lot of pilots timed out (X number of landings in Y months) while we were under L4 and L3, so had to go back to the class room and sim before going back to flight readiness, plus the wide body pilots who had seniority over the A320 pilots had to go the the class room as well before they could fly the A320s. So resulted in not enough A320s pilots.
Old Mar 9, 21, 9:12 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Nz6112 operated last Friday around 2 pm with Passengers onboard. They cancelled a few a320 flights because of level 2/3 and put passengers on it. There was cabin crew both ways. Recently the 787 has also flown CHC / MEL as cargo.
Old Mar 10, 21, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ace86 View Post
Nz6112 operated last Friday around 2 pm with Passengers onboard. They cancelled a few a320 flights because of level 2/3 and put passengers on it. There was cabin crew both ways. Recently the 787 has also flown CHC / MEL as cargo.
Thanks-was that flight regularly scheduled or was it thrown on last minute? Ive been scouring schedules to try and find a 787 in May from AKL to CHC and I cannot find one.
Old Mar 10, 21, 6:13 pm

Thanks-was that flight regularly scheduled or was it thrown on last minute? Ive been scouring schedules to try and find a 787 in May from AKL to CHC and I cannot find one.
If it was a 6xxx it would have not been scheduled. As the post said some other flights were cancelled that day.

If was scheduled it would have likely got a 12xx number. Or may be the normal 5xx number for AKL-CHC.

Though 12xx may also be MIQ flights particularly if the place repositions back to AKL as a 6xxx

I doubt you will find a scheduled 787 doing AKL - CHC with pax. They have got past their issue last year where didn't have enough crew who were current on the A320s.

Will see 787 going to CHC but they will be cargo only ops or positioning for cargo only ops.
DLATL777 likes this.

Last edited by nzkarit; Mar 10, 21 at 6:24 pm
Old Mar 22, 21, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all.

Last edited by DLATL777; Mar 25, 21 at 7:05 am
Old Mar 22, 21, 2:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
The 12XX flights could also be charters ex CHC for the Southern Lights flights

https://vivaexpeditions.com/tours/ne...ghts-by-flight
Old Mar 23, 21, 1:03 am

A helpful hint for anyone searching for 787 flights, or for a specific aircraft type (like an A320neo or something else).

You can use the ITA Matrix to search whole months at a time, at the same time entering aircraft types into the search.

Simply head to the search : https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Use a oneway search, type in the origin and destination, then select "Advanced controls" and type in "aircraft t:789" (don't add the quotes), finally select "See calendar of lowest fares" (I generally select the first day of the month to search that whole month) select a date and then press search.

The aircraft type in the advanced controls uses the IATA codes so for the Air New Zealand fleet use the following which you can just change out above:

777-200 = 772 (can also using 777 to search both types)
777-300ER = 77W
B787-9 = 789
A320 (the trans Tasman non sharklet fleet) = 320
A320 (the domestic sharklet fleet) = 32A
A320neo = 32N
A321neo = 32Q
ATR72 = ATR
Q300 = DH3

If just searching Air NZ direct flights then put "C:NZ" in the Routing codes box or if searching Air NZ flights with stops use "C:NZ+" (again both without the quotes).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: