FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   AKL Intl Premium Check-in for domestic transfer? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2033509-akl-intl-premium-check-domestic-transfer.html)

ttravelator Feb 2, 2021 4:01 am

AKL Intl Premium Check-in for domestic transfer?

Has anyone used the Air NZ Premium Check in for a domestic transfer to Air NZ at the international terminal? Is this possible?

BZNZ Feb 2, 2021 4:09 am

Originally Posted by ttravelator (Post 33010892)
Has anyone used the Air NZ Premium Check in for a domestic transfer to Air NZ at the international terminal? Is this possible?

I highly doubt you'll be able to domestic transfer your bags at the international terminal right now considering the only possible international to domestic connection would be Cook Islands to Domestic. I'd say in all likelihood you'll be asked to take your bags to the domestic terminal.

nzkarit Feb 2, 2021 10:46 am

Ia the premium check in even open at the moment?

sbiddle Feb 2, 2021 12:13 pm

The simple answer is no. No it's never been a thing, and even if it was a thing it's not possible since all arrivals into NZ right now need to go into managed isolation with the exception of the Cook Islands and since Air NZ operate this service 99% of pax would have bags tagged to their destination already if they had a Air NZ domestic connection.

Under normal circumstances if you are arriving into NZ and connecting to a connecting/interlined domestic flight your bags will be checked through and can be dropped at the international bag drop providing you do this at least 60 mins before your domestic flight. If you are under 60 mins you need to take your bags to the domestic terminal and drop them there.

If you need to check in for a domestic flight this needs to be done at the domestic terminal.

eaglenz Feb 2, 2021 1:27 pm

The area between AKL INT arrivals & Air NZ INT check in is closed off because of managed isolation processing area. You have to exit left & go around the outside of building & then re-enter. They only have staff on for international flight check - in. No domestic transfers

are you staying at Auckland Airport Novotel MIQ & then getting a domestic flight? Or will you be coming in from Rarotonga when the bubble opens? Intrigued as to why you would ask this.

samyoull Feb 2, 2021 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 33011866)
The simple answer is no. No it's never been a thing, and even if it was a thing it's not possible since all arrivals into NZ right now need to go into managed isolation with the exception of the Cook Islands and since Air NZ operate this service 99% of pax would have bags tagged to their destination already if they had a Air NZ domestic connection.

Under normal circumstances if you are arriving into NZ and connecting to a connecting/interlined domestic flight your bags will be checked through and can be dropped at the international bag drop providing you do this at least 60 mins before your domestic flight. If you are under 60 mins you need to take your bags to the domestic terminal and drop them there.

If you need to check in for a domestic flight this needs to be done at the domestic terminal.

I've done this a few times SFO-AKL-ROT no problems, although maybe because I've had a bike with me? Bags were already tagged though

sbiddle Feb 2, 2021 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by samyoull (Post 33012298)
I've done this a few times SFO-AKL-ROT no problems, although maybe because I've had a bike with me? Bags were already tagged though

Yes any luggage that's already checked can just be dropped at the international baggage drop providing its at least an hour before the flight.