Wiki Posts
Search

ID checks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
ID checks

Has anyone else been IDed at check in/bag drop recently? I understand most airlines are obliged to (and JQ always do) but NZ historically have not.

Been asked 4 x at 3 different airports, once at lounge check in and 3 at bag drop (by the same lady a week apart). Wondering if its a policy change or bad luck or Ive been marked...
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:32 pm

My guess if was a wider thing they would have a PR push so people are aware and actually bring ID. And would have signage and announcements for people to have it ready. E.g. international flights when they say "please have your passport open at photo page"
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:39 pm

An Airpoints card counts as proof of identity, even though there are no biometric features, just saying...
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Ive done two flights on NZ and another two on JQ in the past week. Which haven’t required ID, although they will all online check-in and carry-on only.

From an contract tracing purpose, ID and correct contact details should really be required. I would love to see NZ contract trace everyone from an full a320 within 48 hours.

On that - how come NZ/JQ aircraft don’t have COVID tracer QR Codes? Yet Buses and Ferry’s do.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Public transport operators have zero idea who is on their buses or ferries unless they look at ticketing records which aren't 100%

Airlines know who is on their plane.

Much like why supermarkets aren't forced to collect details of every customer because around 96% of customers pay by card these days and they just contact traced using that. If you read signs at supermarkets they said you need to scan in, use a card, or if neither you needed to manually sign in.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Airlines know who is on their plane.
The prevalence of students selling each other nonrefundable tickets suggests that often airlines do not, in fact, know who is on their plane.
Thai-Kiwi and codyc1515 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:03 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
ID checks

Originally Posted by Hector99
Has anyone else been IDed at check in/bag drop recently? I understand most airlines are obliged to (and JQ always do) but NZ historically have not.

Been asked 4 x at 3 different airports, once at lounge check in and 3 at bag drop (by the same lady a week apart). Wondering if its a policy change or bad luck or I`ve been marked...
I suspect you have been marked
The AIRNZ lounge staff have amazing memories .
Many call you by your first name well before you pull out your phone and often they say go on in, I will check you in (due to the delay in the phone processing the express checking) Then they find you in the lounge and give you a paper boarding pass!
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by samyoull
The prevalence of students selling each other nonrefundable tickets suggests that often airlines do not, in fact, know who is on their plane.
This may also account for elevated scrutiny at some times and possibly even some profiling (e.g. those that appear a younger age). But I agree that an ID check should be carried out, and for a range of reasons.

A quick search on FB Market for “flight” provided this:

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 16, 2021 at 6:40 pm
Old Jan 17, 2021, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by samyoull
The stupidness of most of them posting in FB marketplace giving the flight number and (in most cases) their real name on their profile means Air NZ offload a small number of people caught doing this as they just keep an eye on FB marketplace and a few other groups and flag the ticket for further checks. It wouldn't surprise me if JQ do the same thing.

Why people think they will get away with this is beyond me, but I presume many don't realise they're breaking the law. I know somebody who got caught last year after buying one of these tickets.

With every NZ ticket refundable at present there are no real excuses for trying to sell a ticket and for people to break CAA rule by traveling on somebody else's ticket.
samyoull likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
The stupidness of most of them posting in FB marketplace giving the flight number and (in most cases) their real name on their profile means Air NZ offload a small number of people caught doing this as they just keep an eye on FB marketplace and a few other groups and flag the ticket for further checks. It wouldn't surprise me if JQ do the same thing.

Why people think they will get away with this is beyond me, but I presume many don't realise they're breaking the law. I know somebody who got caught last year after buying one of these tickets.

With every NZ ticket refundable at present there are no real excuses for trying to sell a ticket and for people to break CAA rule by traveling on somebody else's ticket.
I don't disagree, I think domestically folks think of tickets like bus tickets though - I'd be in favor of having an ID check (at least for adults) at security like literally everywhere else in the world.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
NZ should simply charge $15 for a name change and you make money out of it. And therefore largely kills the market for this.
I was looking at one airline and it has a fare class that permits name changes (Finnair, I think), and it wasn't the most expensive fare class either.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
NZ should simply charge $15 for a name change and you make money out of it. And therefore largely kills the market for this.
I was looking at one airline and it has a fare class that permits name changes (Finnair, I think), and it wasn't the most expensive fare class either.
Whilst a flat fee is easiest, a name change fee could also be inversely scaled against fare product - so Seat only would pay a bit more that FlexiDate to reflect the premium already paid for the FlexiDate product.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
That would create a massive parallel black market for tickets.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:03 pm

I guess AirNZ has done the numbers the loss of of revenue from people selling the tickets is less than the cost to check ID & the increased time (people missing flights & having to play find the bag & slowing down boarding (domestic flights get people through the gate faster than international)).

Moving it to security I don't think would work as none have the space to add another queue. Additionally whose is legally responsible & who is legally allowed to match ID to boarding pass? If is airlines responsibility AvSec would have to increase their fees to the airline to cover it. And the PR nightmare they would have targeted at them as people grumble.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one complains about this for international travel...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.