Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID checks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2021, 3:28 am

Programs: NZ/QF/BA
Originally Posted by Hector99
Has anyone else been IDed at check in/bag drop recently? I understand most airlines are obliged to (and JQ always do) but NZ historically have not.
It has been years since I've been asked for ID, and this is both NZ and JQ. Granted, most of the time I check in online and carry on bags only however I can't recall ID checks when I've checked in manually or had to check bags, or even at other contact points (e.g. they could ask at the gate etc). Even re-bookings (e.g. on a recent flight which turned back to AKL so had to be re-booked) is all done automatically without needing to see someone so even that didn't require ID even for checking in the new flight.

Quite a big difference from 10~15 years ago when NZ/QF/DJ frequently asked me for ID at least once during my trip. Of course back then online check-in was a new thing (and would frequently not be offered on tickets sold thu agents) and I had yet to master the art of carry on baggage only. But yes quite often my FF card was good enough!

If you'd rather avoid ID checks, simply don't check bags and check in electronically. Even the kiosks don't ask for ID!
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
No one complains about this for international travel...
Trying to remember back (is been a while).
International has check-in which closes earlier and has boarding which starts earlier.

Think with some A320 flights for a domestic flight & an international flight with same departure time, boarding would start (at least on boarding pass) before the domestic flight would arrive. Sure the length of time isn't purely the passport check but it all factors in.

I don't think there is enough time in the domestic schedule to do an ID check without increasing the turnaround time if done at gate or making the last check in time earlier if done at security.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
No one complains about this for international travel...
You need a passport to travel internationally.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by samyoull
You need a passport to travel internationally.
My point exactly...
cavemanzk and prelude like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 2:27 am

Programs: NZ Koru
After tonight’s flight drama, I seriously wonder about some of NZ boarding processes.

Short story there as an intoxicated couple travelling with there kids in the gate lounge. The kids distanced them self for the parents in the gate lounge.

Then it came to boarding, kids got on the aircraft without there parents. Parents tired to board separately, and got reject boarding.

Ended up with police called out the aircraft, the hold being opened mupltie times to remove bags and sitting at the gate for close to an hour for the police to sort out the issue.

Although how an drunk couple are able to get through AVSEC is half the issue.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
After tonight’s flight drama, I seriously wonder about some of NZ boarding processes.

Short story there as an intoxicated couple travelling with there kids in the gate lounge. The kids distanced them self for the parents in the gate lounge.

Then it came to boarding, kids got on the aircraft without there parents. Parents tired to board separately, and got reject boarding.

Ended up with police called out the aircraft, the hold being opened mupltie times to remove bags and sitting at the gate for close to an hour for the police to sort out the issue.

Although how an drunk couple are able to get through AVSEC is half the issue.
Would you plan to breath test people? Or just from behaviour?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.