Wiki Posts
Search

Liquids and gels on domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Liquids and gels on domestic flights

I noted we cannot take liquids and gels on domestic flights from Wellington (to Auckland).
is this going to apply to all domestic flights ?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Huh? Liquids and gels are okay for carry on for domestic flights in NZ.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Huh? Liquids and gels are okay for carry on for domestic flights in NZ.
Two security persons in wlg yesterday would not allow me to take my coffee to the gate .
They said no water or gel.
Will check again next week to see if it was two rogue security staff inventing new rules.
Ps they could have been confused as the security was through the international gate area
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
There is an issue with open bottle/coffee/tea/hot beverages being taken through security as they are getting spilt and people F*** around creating delays. Is more of an issue now as the lounge is proximal to security, whereas pre Covid it was v v.

AFAIK there is no issue with sealed/bottles/shampoos etc in carry on bags on either JQ or NZ

Happy to be corrected
Old Jan 2, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There are no PLAG restrictions for domestic flights.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
Two security persons in wlg yesterday would not allow me to take my coffee to the gate .
They said no water or gel.
Will check again next week to see if it was two rogue security staff inventing new rules.
Ps they could have been confused as the security was through the international gate area
You either misunderstood or the staff communicated poorly. Wellington is now the same as Dunedin (which was the first location for the rollout of the new security setup). You can no longer carry a drink through security. Should you happen to possess a non-spillable container, it can go through the baggage screening machine (e.g. water bottle). Otherwise, you are now restricted to acquiring a coffee post security. There are no changes to LAGS that are in containers/bottles/packaging and able to be screened.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Beano
They won't be confused. International security area has been used for months and no international flights from WLG since March 2019.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
They won't be confused. International security area has been used for months and no international flights from WLG since March 2019.
And the staff in the past would likely have worked domestic & international in one shift, so would be use to the differences in the rules.

I'm guessing the underlying thing in this thread is takeaway coffees, etc. Which most probably just needs some better pre queue signage and some more awareness at the cafes when people are buying. Plus may be some consistentancy across the country?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I guess the difference between WLG and DUN and the rest of the country is they're the only two places with the "smart lane" (as it's being called) screening and everything has to go in bins. Other places still have the old school xray machines.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:39 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I took plenty of LAGS in carry-on ex-WLG yesterday without any issues, it would be an nightmare if they did bring that rule in at short-notice.
I would think it would just be the coffee that was the issue, although they should bring the same rule in across the whole country. AKL had no issue with the an coffee on Thursday morning, so can see why it would cause confusion.

Since WLG is getting very comfortable with using the International gates for all domestic A320/321 flights, maybe they should look at getting that airside Mojo cafe backup and running. It looks like it has been left un-touched since Feb20.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.