Looking Forward to 2021

Old Nov 25, 20, 6:29 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: NZ Gold A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Posts: 171
Looking Forward to 2021

With announcements of vaccines international travel maybe possible in the latter of 2021. Have been looking at options to Europe while not many carriers are showing options some are. Singapore for example has reasonable options and pricing (ECO $1272) with complementary booking changes allowed thus provide a degree of flexibility. Air New Zealand by contrast don't provide complementary changes for same flights (on SQ ECO $1270) booking with them????? You would think that AIRNZ would at least attempt to match other carriers.
On another note have found great deals in TK from Singapore to Europe destinations latter part of 2021. Found SIN/ATH Business (J) return out Sep 21 back Oct 21 for around USD $2700 total for 2 passengers which I have booked. Schedule and flight changes are allowed which is good if things are still dicey then as can shift the booking out.
Given the difficulties and heartache that AIRNZ has would like to support them but they are not making it easy
jawnbc likes this.
ClanJ is offline  
Old Nov 25, 20, 6:40 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 16,909
Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
With announcements of vaccines international travel maybe possible in the latter of 2021. Have been looking at options to Europe while not many carriers are showing options some are. Singapore for example has reasonable options and pricing (ECO $1272) with complementary booking changes allowed thus provide a degree of flexibility.

Air New Zealand by contrast don't provide complementary changes for same flights (on SQ ECO $1270) booking with them????? You would think that AIRNZ would at least attempt to match other carriers.

On another note have found great deals in TK from Singapore to Europe destinations latter part of 2021. Found SIN/ATH Business (J) return out Sep 21 back Oct 21 for around USD $2700 total for 2 passengers which I have booked. Schedule and flight changes are allowed which is good if things are still dicey then as can shift the booking out.

Given the difficulties and heartache that AIRNZ has would like to support them but they are not making it easy
As Air NZ will not fly to UK-EU not offering (competitive) air fares, t&c's is to be expected. Codeshares are rarely the same as the prime carrier. With JV's can be more equal.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=AKL-SIN...H&MS=wls&DU=mi

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 25, 20 at 8:11 pm
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Nov 27, 20, 10:24 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,006
The NZ Govt have made it pretty clear this week that border restrictions and MIQ facilities will exist for up to 18 months still, with it probably being 12 months from now before we see any changes.

Pretty hard for somebody like NZ to be offering fares when this is still our Govt policy. Many places in the world may have moved on from Covid within 6 months if planned UK/EU vaccine rollout plans occur, but NZ is going to keep the closed sign up.
samyoull likes this.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Nov 27, 20, 10:55 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,498
Some vaccines might be ready for production, but I still haven't seen any timelines on converting the vaccine into vaccinations. It is vaccinations which will change the border restrictions not a vaccine.

Things like getting 80% of the population vaccinated & a trusted way for travelers to prove they have been vaccinated are still to be worked out. Given that there are labs which will sell you a negative test instead of testing you, trust is going to be an important thing. Might be in the form of a test to show the antibodies from the vaccination response.

All that is a long way to say no one currently has a clue to when borders will reopen and we can be flying "normally" again. In reality I think it will be this time next year before we see timelines for opening the borders & flights being added to schedules.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Nov 27, 20, 5:13 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: NZ Gold A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Posts: 171
Guess my main point is that many carriers are now offering fares with flexibility (at a minimum of date changes and in some cases much more) from NZ to elsewhere so if NZ borders are still up simple to move flights to latter. I would have thought it perhaps have been a reasonable thing for AIRNZ to consider, as at a minimum creates some cash flow for them and that they will have some forward bookings. Also for most AIRNZ FFs the upgrades are probably expiring thus going to waste. If they did have flexibility for forward bookings could also allow use of upgrades??? just a thought.
ClanJ is offline  
Old Nov 28, 20, 8:39 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Posts: 2,312
I do not see myself getting on any international flights in 2021 - I think the NZ boarder restrictions will make it unfeasable.
Rebound is offline  
Old Nov 29, 20, 12:35 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: YYZ/SFO/AKL
Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Posts: 290
Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
Guess my main point is that many carriers are now offering fares with flexibility (at a minimum of date changes and in some cases much more) from NZ to elsewhere so if NZ borders are still up simple to move flights to latter. I would have thought it perhaps have been a reasonable thing for AIRNZ to consider, as at a minimum creates some cash flow for them and that they will have some forward bookings. Also for most AIRNZ FFs the upgrades are probably expiring thus going to waste. If they did have flexibility for forward bookings could also allow use of upgrades??? just a thought.
Anecdotally, New Zealanders that are based in NZ in my circles have no intention of traveling anytime soon, and seem far conservative when it comes to future travel than anyone I know based in North America/Europe. Upgrades don't even factor into the cost benefit analysis at this point.
samyoull is offline  
Old Nov 29, 20, 1:11 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Silver
Posts: 1,767
My partner has to travel to Europe mid-Dec for less than a weeks work....earliest she can get into MIQ is Jan 26 (and that was booked a week ago). I'd hate to be trying to book it without an agent, as the rules are constantly changing and there is a lot of paperwork/testing required even for transiting through countries.
brenrox is offline  
Old Nov 29, 20, 11:52 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,006
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
I do not see myself getting on any international flights in 2021 - I think the NZ boarder restrictions will make it unfeasable.
Exactly. NZers simply aren't booking any intl travel right now for the future. While I'd like to think a TT bubble will exist within the next few months if you look at seatmaps for TT flights there are simply no bookings at all. I was looking at flights a few days ago for May and across a whole week there wasn't a single seat taken on any flights.

I'm optimistic of heading to the US in Oct but the real question is whether NZ will be enforcing 2 week MIQ stays for those who are leaving NZ that have had the vaccine by then. Assuming the world has opened up again by then (and I think it will definately be the case if vaccine roll outs go to plan) the problem we're going to face as a country is that MIQ capacity isn't going to cope when suddenly lots of NZers want to leave the country and are happy to pay the $3k to return.
samyoull likes this.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Nov 29, 20, 1:11 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: NZ
Posts: 999
I am not expecting any int'l travel in 2021, except a TT trip in November if that bubble opens up.

What I will be looking for is a change in the government's position regarding opening the border, or an indication that they plan to make changes, but even there I am not expecting that to happen till late 2021. Vaccination for the masses (ie after essential workers, high risk people etc) is again not likely to happen till late 2021. So, all in all keep your passports locked away till 2022 unless you want to pay for MIQ.
minz56 is offline  
Old Nov 29, 20, 3:53 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: NZ Gold A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Posts: 171
There seems to no transparency on the breakdown of MIQ numbers by origin but would suspect that a fair wack would be from Australia and would suspect it has grown since the total Quarantine time has halved given no requirement on the way back thus TT bubble would really free up MIQ places. As the good Dr Baker said given the current situation both sides of the Tasman there was greater risk of catching the thing in a MIQ facility than in the respective communities each side of the ditch.
ClanJ is offline  
Old Nov 29, 20, 4:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: YYZ/SFO/AKL
Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Posts: 290
Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
As the good Dr Baker said given the current situation both sides of the Tasman there was greater risk of catching the thing in a MIQ facility than in the respective communities each side of the ditch.
True, but this has also probably been true throughout the entire MIQ programme.
samyoull is offline  
Old Nov 29, 20, 8:51 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 16,909
Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
There seems to no transparency on the breakdown of MIQ numbers by origin but would suspect that a fair wack would be from Australia and would suspect it has grown since the total Quarantine time has halved given no requirement on the way back thus TT bubble would really free up MIQ places. As the good Dr Baker said given the current situation both sides of the Tasman there was greater risk of catching the thing in a MIQ facility than in the respective communities each side of the ditch.
A week or so ago heard a report on ZB radio that 40% of MIQ places are being used by people from AU. That to me seems high.
The bureaucracy will have the data of whet people are coming from. No reason why it is not published
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Nov 29, 20, 8:54 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: YYZ/SFO/AKL
Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Posts: 290
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
A week or so ago heard a report on ZB radio that 40% of MIQ places are being used by people from AU. That to me seems high.
The bureaucracy will have the data of whet people are coming from. No reason why it is not published
FWIW, currently in MIQ and that seems about right based on what I've seen both in this hotel and in on the various facebook groups.
samyoull is offline  
Old Nov 29, 20, 9:00 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 16,909
Originally Posted by samyoull View Post
FWIW, currently in MIQ and that seems about right based on what I've seen both in this hotel and in on the various facebook groups.
I did my 14 days in September in the Auckland Crown Plaza. Reading FT reduces the boredom
68 people on my Air NZ flight from MEL. Guessing 10 connected onto other Air NZ long haul flights from AKL

If/when the TT bubble happens that will free up a lot of MIQ slots. But the NZ Government will likely reduce that amount of MIQ hotels/room at the same tine
samyoull likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: