Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ refuses to extend 2000 expiring FFP!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2020, 2:13 pm
weo
Original Poster

Programs: AIR NZ, AEROPLAN, MILEAGE+

I have 2000 FFP with air NZ that expire in December 2020. I live in Canada and do not want to travel to NZ even though I am a CAD/NZ dual citizen. I have kids in Norway and USA. I have no way to use the points other than to book a ticket via Star Alliance - (which is another conundrum in itself) for a flight that I will take only if Covid restrictions on entering USA or Norway are lifted. I do not want and can not afford to quarantine for two weeks - especially in Norway.

If I book a fully cancelable flight for next summer, will they refund the points?

I'm having great difficulty with this as Star Alliance is just a referral back to the Air NZ clerks and they know nothing about how to book from CA to USA or Norway.

I'd truly appreciate help with this problem. Any suggestions are welcome

I can not redeem the points for march or other as they will not send to CA. They refuse to extend the points even though I can't fly anywhere with them.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Can you book a ticket from LAX - AKL far in advance as possible on a fully refundable fare, you can then when time is closer - keep pushing the flight further. Maybe YVR will be back up & running & they will allow a change of destination or you just fly Canada - LAX - AKL. Hopefully then Covid will be over?
if you have any friends/family in NZ - update your contact details to their address & spend up large on Airpoints store/mall.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by weo
I have 2000 FFP with air NZ that expire in December 2020. I live in Canada and do not want to travel to NZ even though I am a CAD/NZ dual citizen. I have kids in Norway and USA. I have no way to use the points other than to book a ticket via Star Alliance - (which is another conundrum in itself) for a flight that I will take only if Covid restrictions on entering USA or Norway are lifted. I do not want and can not afford to quarantine for two weeks - especially in Norway.

If I book a fully cancelable flight for next summer, will they refund the points?

I'm having great difficulty with this as Star Alliance is just a referral back to the Air NZ clerks and they know nothing about how to book from CA to USA or Norway.

I'd truly appreciate help with this problem. Any suggestions are welcome

I can not redeem the points for march or other as they will not send to CA. They refuse to extend the points even though I can't fly anywhere with them.
If you use them to book a Fully Flexi and then cancel it should result in a full refund of the airpoints.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
If you use them to book a Fully Flexi and then cancel it should result in a full refund of the airpoints.
It won't. The points won't be refunded if they were due to be expired. Bit like RUs if you cancel a flight in a new membership year they don't go back into your account.
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Have you tried the partner airline booking portal where you can book Star Alliance reward flights online? If it's not available to your Airpoints account, change your address to New Zealand and change it back once you are done.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/partner-airline-rewards

You can also book with Airpoints to rent a car with AVIS or Budget globally. There are still plenty of ways to use them.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Do you have a NZ bank account? If so you might be able to get a credit card because even a zero annual fee Amex will give you no points expiry.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:59 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Can you use the points for Canadian domestic flights (up to 12 months out)?
irishguy28 and jawnbc like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 10:35 am
weo
Original Poster

Good idea - I'll poke around with that one and let you know. BTW - no need for rental car if I"m not flying.

Last edited by weo; Aug 27, 2020 at 10:41 am
Old Aug 27, 2020, 10:36 am
weo
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion re bank account. I have one but no NZ address. They may pull that at any time.

Last edited by weo; Aug 27, 2020 at 10:46 am
Old Aug 27, 2020, 10:40 am
weo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Have you tried the partner airline booking portal where you can book Star Alliance reward flights online? If it's not available to your Airpoints account, change your address to New Zealand and change it back once you are done.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/partner-airline-rewards

You can also book with Airpoints to rent a car with AVIS or Budget globally. There are still plenty of ways to use them.
Thanks for the suggestion and link, I'll poke around with that and let you know. No need for a car if I am not flying.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 10:45 am
weo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
It won't. The points won't be refunded if they were due to be expired. Bit like RUs if you cancel a flight in a new membership year they don't go back into your account.
Thanks. This is the crux of the problem. Air NZ has said they may change policy by the time the booking comes around. So I better book a flight I am willing to take and also willing to loose the points over if I don't take the flight. I am checking Canadian Transport to see if there is any protection thru them.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 10:49 am
weo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eaglenz
Can you book a ticket from LAX - AKL far in advance as possible on a fully refundable fare, you can then when time is closer - keep pushing the flight further. Maybe YVR will be back up & running & they will allow a change of destination or you just fly Canada - LAX - AKL. Hopefully then Covid will be over?
if you have any friends/family in NZ - update your contact details to their address & spend up large on Airpoints store/mall.
I will check to see if NZ has package forwarding services - these are expensive but I wouldn't loose all the value in the points.
I wonder how many times I could push the fight forward...
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:17 pm

Do you have any friends in NZ who need something from Mitre10 (like Home depot)? You could potentially order something for them online.
Beano likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by ps107
Do you have any friends in NZ who need something from Mitre10 (like Home depot)? You could potentially order something for them online.
Similarly, friends / relatives who might like something from the Airpoints store? This includes a load of voucher options.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Similarly, friends / relatives who might like something from the Airpoints store? This includes a load of voucher options.
I'd like this if anyone wants to be my friend
https://www.airpointsstore.co.nz/win...86-Whisky.html
NZbutterfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.