FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Air NZ refuses to extend 2000 expiring FFP! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2024012-air-nz-refuses-extend-2000-expiring-ffp.html)

weo Aug 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Air NZ refuses to extend 2000 expiring FFP!

I have 2000 FFP with air NZ that expire in December 2020. I live in Canada and do not want to travel to NZ even though I am a CAD/NZ dual citizen. I have kids in Norway and USA. I have no way to use the points other than to book a ticket via Star Alliance - (which is another conundrum in itself) for a flight that I will take only if Covid restrictions on entering USA or Norway are lifted. I do not want and can not afford to quarantine for two weeks - especially in Norway.

If I book a fully cancelable flight for next summer, will they refund the points?

I'm having great difficulty with this as Star Alliance is just a referral back to the Air NZ clerks and they know nothing about how to book from CA to USA or Norway.

I'd truly appreciate help with this problem. Any suggestions are welcome

I can not redeem the points for march or other as they will not send to CA. They refuse to extend the points even though I can't fly anywhere with them.

eaglenz Aug 26, 2020 2:56 pm

Can you book a ticket from LAX - AKL far in advance as possible on a fully refundable fare, you can then when time is closer - keep pushing the flight further. Maybe YVR will be back up & running & they will allow a change of destination or you just fly Canada - LAX - AKL. Hopefully then Covid will be over?
if you have any friends/family in NZ - update your contact details to their address & spend up large on Airpoints store/mall.

kiwicyclo Aug 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by weo (Post 32631889)
I have 2000 FFP with air NZ that expire in December 2020. I live in Canada and do not want to travel to NZ even though I am a CAD/NZ dual citizen. I have kids in Norway and USA. I have no way to use the points other than to book a ticket via Star Alliance - (which is another conundrum in itself) for a flight that I will take only if Covid restrictions on entering USA or Norway are lifted. I do not want and can not afford to quarantine for two weeks - especially in Norway.

If I book a fully cancelable flight for next summer, will they refund the points?

I'm having great difficulty with this as Star Alliance is just a referral back to the Air NZ clerks and they know nothing about how to book from CA to USA or Norway.

I'd truly appreciate help with this problem. Any suggestions are welcome

I can not redeem the points for march or other as they will not send to CA. They refuse to extend the points even though I can't fly anywhere with them.

If you use them to book a Fully Flexi and then cancel it should result in a full refund of the airpoints.

LyingFlat Aug 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by kiwicyclo (Post 32632030)
If you use them to book a Fully Flexi and then cancel it should result in a full refund of the airpoints.

It won't. The points won't be refunded if they were due to be expired. Bit like RUs if you cancel a flight in a new membership year they don't go back into your account.

Xiaotung Aug 26, 2020 7:04 pm

Have you tried the partner airline booking portal where you can book Star Alliance reward flights online? If it's not available to your Airpoints account, change your address to New Zealand and change it back once you are done.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/partner-airline-rewards

You can also book with Airpoints to rent a car with AVIS or Budget globally. There are still plenty of ways to use them.

sbiddle Aug 26, 2020 7:30 pm

Do you have a NZ bank account? If so you might be able to get a credit card because even a zero annual fee Amex will give you no points expiry.

Kiwi Flyer Aug 27, 2020 3:59 am

Can you use the points for Canadian domestic flights (up to 12 months out)?

weo Aug 27, 2020 10:35 am

Good idea - I'll poke around with that one and let you know. BTW - no need for rental car if I"m not flying.;)

weo Aug 27, 2020 10:36 am

Thanks for the suggestion re bank account. I have one but no NZ address. They may pull that at any time.

weo Aug 27, 2020 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung (Post 32632529)
Have you tried the partner airline booking portal where you can book Star Alliance reward flights online? If it's not available to your Airpoints account, change your address to New Zealand and change it back once you are done.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/partner-airline-rewards

You can also book with Airpoints to rent a car with AVIS or Budget globally. There are still plenty of ways to use them.

Thanks for the suggestion and link, I'll poke around with that and let you know. No need for a car if I am not flying.

weo Aug 27, 2020 10:45 am

Originally Posted by LyingFlat (Post 32632487)
It won't. The points won't be refunded if they were due to be expired. Bit like RUs if you cancel a flight in a new membership year they don't go back into your account.

Thanks. This is the crux of the problem. Air NZ has said they may change policy by the time the booking comes around. So I better book a flight I am willing to take and also willing to loose the points over if I don't take the flight. I am checking Canadian Transport to see if there is any protection thru them.

weo Aug 27, 2020 10:49 am

Originally Posted by eaglenz (Post 32631995)
Can you book a ticket from LAX - AKL far in advance as possible on a fully refundable fare, you can then when time is closer - keep pushing the flight further. Maybe YVR will be back up & running & they will allow a change of destination or you just fly Canada - LAX - AKL. Hopefully then Covid will be over?
if you have any friends/family in NZ - update your contact details to their address & spend up large on Airpoints store/mall.

I will check to see if NZ has package forwarding services - these are expensive but I wouldn't loose all the value in the points.
I wonder how many times I could push the fight forward...

ps107 Aug 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Do you have any friends in NZ who need something from Mitre10 (like Home depot)? You could potentially order something for them online.

Trumpkin Aug 28, 2020 1:11 am

Originally Posted by ps107 (Post 32634549)
Do you have any friends in NZ who need something from Mitre10 (like Home depot)? You could potentially order something for them online.

Similarly, friends / relatives who might like something from the Airpoints store? This includes a load of voucher options.

ps107 Aug 29, 2020 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Trumpkin (Post 32635211)
Similarly, friends / relatives who might like something from the Airpoints store? This includes a load of voucher options.

I'd like this if anyone wants to be my friend
https://www.airpointsstore.co.nz/win...86-Whisky.html