Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

NZ stops taking bookings to New Zealand (short-term)

Old Jul 6, 20, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...eturning-kiwis

At the request of the New Zealand Government, NZ has stopped taking any more bookings to New Zealand for the next while to help the Government with slowing the flow of returning Kiwis.
Old Jul 6, 20, 3:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm really surprised the Govt let EK and SQ resume flights without having any ability to manage numbers.. Look what's now happened.
Old Jul 6, 20, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I'm really surprised the Govt let EK and SQ resume flights without having any ability to manage numbers.. Look what's now happened.
Also the unseen flights-they allowing 100s of people an week to connect to NZ in SYD/BNE from QR, effectively mixing semi clean passengers from NSW/QLD with passengers from high risk counties that QR is serving e.g. England, India, European Countries etc.

Now NZ can't book New Zealanders in Australia to return back to New Zealand.

They should at-least allow NZ to operate SYD/BNE services to AKL, which have no transit passengers permitted (and Victoria) allowed on board. With maybe an reduced 7 day managed isolation period.
Old Jul 6, 20, 7:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Also the unseen flights-they allowing 100s of people an week to connect to NZ in SYD/BNE from QR, effectively mixing semi clean passengers from NSW/QLD with passengers from high risk counties that QR is serving e.g. England, India, European Countries etc.
That part gets up my nose in a big way. Just isolate them in the arrival city then let them fly the Tasman on a clean flight.

If the origin is NZ and they’re arriving in Australia then NZ govt can contribute to Aussie fund and vice-versa.

Why they can’t have one single clean route is beyond me🙄 The risk profile of an Australian (let’s excl VIC/NSW for a second) is otherwise mostly the same as a NZer. They’re going to have to do something for the bubble when that eventuates anyway.
Old Jul 6, 20, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly View Post
That part gets up my nose in a big way. Just isolate them in the arrival city then let them fly the Tasman on a clean flight.

If the origin is NZ and they’re arriving in Australia then NZ govt can contribute to Aussie fund and vice-versa.

Why they can’t have one single clean route is beyond me🙄 The risk profile of an Australian (let’s excl VIC/NSW for a second) is otherwise mostly the same as a NZer. They’re going to have to do something for the bubble when that eventuates anyway.
That was CBR's idea, as CBR and WLG aren't seeing international flights, those airports wouldn't have pax mixing with the overseas returnees.

There has been a framework mostly written for the bubble, so would be interesting to see that document for how stuff like that will be managed. I would have thought the airport and plane procedures would be fairly sorted by now and the discussion points around numbers, state by state or all of Aussie would be the bits left. So don't know why they aren't releasing the completed sections/appendices of it.
Old Jul 6, 20, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
There has been a framework mostly written for the bubble, so would be interesting to see that document for how stuff like that will be managed. I would have thought the airport and plane procedures would be fairly sorted by now and the discussion points around numbers, state by state or all of Aussie would be the bits left. So don't know why they aren't releasing the completed sections/appendices of it.
Most of the airports doing Tasman flights would need no modifications, or an few simple modifications to seperate bubble/non-bubble passengers.

AKL and MEL would be the hardest I would think due to the currently terminal layouts.

CHC - Could just restrict to limited slots for the few non bubble flights a week.

WLG/ZQN/OOL - Simple they would only take bubble flights.

SYD- With some temporary changes they could back to use the gates that NZ use only for bubble flights. It was like this before they merged the airside together an few years back. I’m prettt sure the only entrance is still around, but just used an staff entrance to departures.

BNE - With temp wall/fence down the middle of the common departure area would sort most of it. Arrivals could be an bit harder, but could still be done with some temporary walls.
Old Jul 6, 20, 9:23 pm

Canberra airport sent out another email on Friday still pushing their CBR-WLG flights (which they're now pitching for a 1st August launch). Their big sales pitch is that both regions have no active cases, and both airports have no other international flights.
Old Jul 6, 20, 9:40 pm

Setting up departures wouldn't be too hard as landside and immigration would only be NZ or Aussie. Keep the bubble gates close to entrance and the non bubble further from entrance after where transit passengers pop back up to departures level.

Arrivals yes more difficult. Could be slot based or the bigger airports have piers which could play with temp wall with and split immigration, baggage claim, customs and biosecurity.
Old Jul 7, 20, 1:36 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Canberra airport sent out another email on Friday still pushing their CBR-WLG flights (which they're now pitching for a 1st August launch). Their big sales pitch is that both regions have no active cases, and both airports have no other international flights.
And yet no Airlines wanting to fly it?
Old Jul 7, 20, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
And yet no Airlines wanting to fly it?
Can't blame them with the zero demand and crazy CBR taxes. It used to be NZ$245 in tax for a R/T WLG-CBR which is one of the problems SQ had trying to sell the route.
Old Jul 7, 20, 1:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post

Now NZ can't book New Zealanders in Australia to return back to New Zealand.

They should at-least allow NZ to operate SYD/BNE services to AKL, which have no transit passengers permitted (and Victoria) allowed on board. With maybe an reduced 7 day managed isolation period.

Right from the start, QR have carried a high number of positive Covid into NZ, and now with the connections from SYD/BNE and MEL up til those flights stopped, they have had a regular stream from the countries with high Covid numbers. Greece has stopped QR bring in returning residents, after having one flight to Athens with 9 positive covid passengers, from Pakistan, UK, and Japan ( all with PR) and made a statement they would not fly out of Pakistan til they set up testing facilities.
We are exposing our flight crew and passengers on these Trans Tasman flights.
Old Jul 7, 20, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by greer View Post
We are exposing our flight crew and passengers on these Trans Tasman flights.
I would like to see this risk quantified. From the research, tracing, & papers I have seen there is none to very little transmission actually happening on planes. The risk is the source country it seems & transmission at airports & on planes seems to be order of magnitudes less likely. Sure it could be lessened through wearing masks etc. But need to know the risk currently at before add more controls as need to try and keep quantifiable evidence.

Thinking of the recent NZ cases the ones where more than one person on a flight seem to be people travelling together, oppose to transmission on plane.

Also does anyone know the stats on the TT flights how many transit Vs AU origin? Would have assumed AU easy to get back from the entire time, so most AU origin already back by now? (Save compassionate situations)
ps107 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 20, 2:05 pm
H99

Programs: centurion
presumably when and if the bubble happens, there will cease to be transiting i.e. if you arrive in Australia you do 2 weeks quarantine there and then you are bubble-side? (and can fly freely). Otherwise, doesn't work

Europe/UK approaching covid free btw, nearly in a post pandemic reality.
Old Jul 7, 20, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly View Post

The issue is not funding but logistics. WA is restricting international arrivals to 75 a day and NSW to 50 per flight to a cap of 450. People wanting to enter Australia are already subject to flow control; let alone people not wanting to enter Australia but only transit through to New Zealand.

The best option would be for the government to pay encourage QR to run a trans-Tasman sector so most of the non-Australian originating pax stay on the same plane rather than mix with (relatively) 'clean' Australian originating ones!
Old Jul 7, 20, 7:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
The issue is not funding but logistics. WA is restricting international arrivals to 75 a day and NSW to 50 per flight to a cap of 450. People wanting to enter Australia are already subject to flow control; let alone people not wanting to enter Australia but only transit through to New Zealand.

The best option would be for the government to pay encourage QR to run a trans-Tasman sector so most of the non-Australian originating pax stay on the same plane rather than mix with (relatively) 'clean' Australian originating ones!
The mixing occurred well before those restrictions came in.
Surely airlines are more likely to reduce frequency of flights to meet those restrictions which wouldn’t actually change the composition of passengers flying through. If QR flew a TT sector that would take away business from Air NZ & Qantas.

What if NZ ran their own little triangle? AKL-BNE-SYD-AKL/WLG depending on how full hotel isolation is. Drop people off in Oz & pick people up? Less fuel than sending a plane to BNE & another to SYD across the Tasman. No mixing. Qantas could run the reverse for those transiting Auckland from the US & and drop them back to the east coast cities. Also transport those transiting Australia from EU/Asia into NZ. Bit unfair for Qantas to take the high risk group but, well something like that. I don’t know 🤷‍♀️

Search this Thread
Search Engine: