Fare hold and credit redemption

Old Jun 28, 20, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru, Silver
Fare hold and credit redemption

Don't think I have seen a post about this so thought I'd start a new thread. From the NZ credit-redemption site:

Fare Hold

You can now purchase Fare Hold for $1* (per booking) to reserve a fare price. You will then have 24 hours to complete the below Fare Hold Credit Redemption form. Don't worry, the fee will be refunded to your credit balance when you complete the booking.

Note: Fare Hold is only available for flights that are more than 21 days away, and is only available on desktop.

(* $1 Fare Hold fee not available for flights between New Zealand and Australia).

Fare Hold process

1. Choose your flights on the Air New Zealand website.
  2. Hold your fare: If your itinerary is eligible for Fare Hold (i.e. is more than 21 days away) a "Hold this fare" button will appear at the bottom of the "Select your flights" screen. Select this to hold your fares.
  3. Pay the Fare Hold fee: Complete a few details on the Fare Hold page and pay the Fare Hold fee. The fee will be refunded to your credit balance when the booking is confirmed.
  4. Fare hold Confirmation: We'll send you a Fare Hold confirmation email, which will include a booking reference.
  5. Complete the form below: Use your new booking reference and family name to complete the Fare Hold Credit redemption form below. You have 24 hours to fill in the form.We will send you an email to confirm we've received your submission. Note, if you no longer want to complete your booking, you can simply let your booking lapse by not completing the form.
  6. Leave it with us: We will then use your credit to finalise your booking. If your new flights are more than your credit balance, or we encounter any other issues, we will call you and get it sorted.
  7. Booking confirmation: Once we have processed your request, we will send you your e-ticket via email. This may take up to 14 days - don't worry, your booking is safe and will be processed in time for your flight.
Old Jun 28, 20, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

... and the response I received upon submitting a request via Fare Hold:
Kia ora silvertp

Thank you for submitting your Fare Hold Credit Redemption form for booking *****H. The unique ID for your submission is: ##****.

We are working through all our customer requests as quickly as we can, and will prioritise based on the travel date of your new booking. We will use your credit in the provided booking references and the Fare Hold fee you paid to finalise your booking. If your new flights are more than your credit balance, or we encounter any other issues, we will call you and get it sorted.

Once we have processed your request, we will send you your e-ticket via email. This may take up to 14 days - don't worry, your booking is safe and will be processed in time for your flight.

Once you have received your booking confirmation and e-ticket, you will be able to use the Manage Booking link in the email to manage your booking online and select seats, add extra bags or other travel extras or change your flights if you need to make changes.

While you are waiting, please refer to our COVID-19 information hub for up to date travel information.

Ngā mihi,
Air New Zealand Contact Centre
Old Jun 28, 20, 9:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Seems like a good process. I've had to use 2 credits. The first one took about an hour on the phone and the second was a lot shorter but still took forever.
Old Jun 29, 20, 6:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
can we see the 'fares they holding in credit" yet?
Old Jun 30, 20, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy View Post
can we see the 'fares they holding in credit" yet?
Not yet - from the same site:
Just wanting information about your existing credit?
You will shortly be receiving an email from us detailing the value of your credit and how it can be used, or you can find more information on our credit and refund information page, including answers to the most common FAQs.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:01 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Silver, Koru
And still waiting on my request to be processed Rang them last night to give them a hurry up, but were no help what so ever. Itll be processed when its processed was what I was told. Air NZs whole credits system is bullocks and needs attention. I thought the online credit system was supposed to be ready by June?
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi View Post
And still waiting on my request to be processed Rang them last night to give them a hurry up, but were no help what so ever. Itll be processed when its processed was what I was told. Air NZs whole credits system is bullocks and needs attention. I thought the online credit system was supposed to be ready by June?
The June date was an unofficial target set - the only official date I've ever seen set publicly was "late July".

Those who think this is a 5 min job clearly don't work in IT, and to add to that don't understand the complexities of what Air NZ are trying to do, and how difficult this is to actually build. It's incredibly complex, and Air NZ would have loved to have had something in place weeks ago due to the number of people wanting to rebook using credits which is swamping their staff.
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:53 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
The June date was an unofficial target set - the only official date I've ever seen set publicly was "late July".

Those who think this is a 5 min job clearly don't work in IT, and to add to that don't understand the complexities of what Air NZ are trying to do, and how difficult this is to actually build. It's incredibly complex, and Air NZ would have loved to have had something in place weeks ago due to the number of people wanting to rebook using credits which is swamping their staff.
Simples : If they can't deliver on the credits then they should just refund.
Old Jun 30, 20, 4:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
Simples : If they can't deliver on the credits then they should just refund.
That would potentially take months as well due to the manual processes involved if they suddenly had suddenly refund (at a guess) maybe 500x the number of refunds they're currently processing.
Old Jun 30, 20, 7:06 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Silver, Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post

Yep and completely get that. BUT, over 3 weeks in and still no confirmation of my flights/credits. It should not take that long. Travel is a week away now, and still no confirmation E Ticket or such. Ring them, and they just fob you off. Hard times for Air NZ, but it just shouldn't be this hard to use Credits.
Old Jun 30, 20, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi View Post
Hard times for Air NZ, but it just shouldn't be this hard to use Credits.
Which is why they are developing a self service system, to make it easier for people.
Old Jul 1, 20, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Email from Greg Foran today - "A new normal is settling in"
A credit solution is coming soon

I know it has been a frustrating time for those of you who currently have a flight in credit with Air New Zealand. I would like to again apologise for the time it is taking us to come up with an easy solution. Simply put, we didn’t have the systems or number of people in place to be able to process the volume of cancellations we have experienced.
We have now almost doubled the number of people in our call centres, and are communicating with customers directly to ensure they are aware of their credit balances and how they can be used. We are also working on a digital solution that will enable you to manage your credit online, this is scheduled to be completed later this month. We still have a long list of customers to call back and we’re working through that as quickly as we can. So thank you for your continued patience.
Old Jul 1, 20, 11:19 pm

So Greg has been busy flying around the country, maybe get on fixing the credit issue, answering phones or refunding money you have taken when you cancelled flights.
Love to fly but no money, no easy credit to use and fares getting dearer.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: