Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Elite - no seat select available, bad seat allocated.

Old Jun 25, 20, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite

Flying WLG-AKL, Iím positive I had selected row 2 or 3 seats a month ago, have now checked in online and allocated 23F with no ability to change. Anyone else experiencing this? Pretty disappointed to put it mildly.
Old Jun 25, 20, 4:19 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by freemark View Post
Flying WLG-AKL, Iím positive I had selected row 2 or 3 seats a month ago, have now checked in online and allocated 23F with no ability to change. Anyone else experiencing this? Pretty disappointed to put it mildly.
Can the call centre change the seating ?
Old Jun 25, 20, 4:25 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Your seat allocation may have been dumped due to changing schedules? Mine were, but the schedule stabilised in enough time to get 2D (320) and 1F (321).
Old Jun 25, 20, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, schedule (5 mins) & equipment (1st ride on 321 neo) changes. Customer Service called Wgtn Airport Control, they offloaded me, but couldnít seat select at new check in and Iíve ended up 10 rows further back!!
Only way apparently will be to request at lounge prior to flight. I guess all sorts of issues currently. Small world problem I know but Status has cost me a lot, with most benefits being lost in foreseeable future.
Old Jun 25, 20, 5:41 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Had a similar issue when aircraft was changed to 321neo.
Luckily far enough out that email to the Elite address solved it for me and reallocated to a decent seat.
Old Jun 25, 20, 7:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm not sure why you think being at the very back is so bad? If I can't get in the first few rows of any A320 domestic flight I will often select the back because it's the next best thing.

Only exception is if it's pouring with rain and no dual boarding.
Old Jun 25, 20, 7:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by freemark View Post
They have this weird system that when a plane gets x% full or something you can no longer allocate seats and "the system" does it for you. Very frustrating, especially when you change a flexi on day of departure

Which raises another question I dealing with right now, I am on the 6pm to AKL-CHC, and all flights for today full. I would like to standby on the 4pm but ANZ does not allow airport standby without giving up your confirmed seat on alter flight

i dont get this, as if there is an empty seat which I could take, and free up a seat on the later flight which they could sell, they lose $$

Surely this could be a benefit for Elites on flexi tickets?
Old Jun 25, 20, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I'm not sure why you think being at the very back is so bad? If I can't get in the first few rows of any A320 domestic flight I will often select the back because it's the next best thing.

Yeah nah. I have an aversion now to waiting for a sometimes interminable time to disembark. I like to be close to a door. Plus generally a little more leg room 1st few rows. Iíve seen the views as well so mainly choose an aisle seat unless unless a new (to me) regional route.
Old Jun 25, 20, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WLGNZ View Post
Had a similar issue when aircraft was changed to 321neo.
Luckily far enough out that email to the Elite address solved it for me and reallocated to a decent seat.
I havenít ever emailed the E team & should have thought of that.
Old Jun 26, 20, 12:55 am

Programs: Koru/*S, GHA Gold
Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
Which raises another question I dealing with right now, I am on the 6pm to AKL-CHC, and all flights for today full. I would like to standby on the 4pm but ANZ does not allow airport standby without giving up your confirmed seat on alter flight?
It certainly used to be an elite benefit (have used it), but it looks like it no longer applies.
Old Jun 26, 20, 3:16 am

Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post

no legroom is a start
Old Jun 26, 20, 5:26 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
They have this weird system that when a plane gets x% full or something you can no longer allocate seats and "the system" does it for you. Very frustrating, especially when you change a flexi on day of departure

Which raises another question I dealing with right now, I am on the 6pm to AKL-CHC, and all flights for today full. I would like to standby on the 4pm but ANZ does not allow airport standby without giving up your confirmed seat on alter flight

i dont get this, as if there is an empty seat which I could take, and free up a seat on the later flight which they could sell, they lose $$

Surely this could be a benefit for Elites on flexi tickets?
The solution is to check in for the flight booked, and let the friendly lounge staff know you wouldn't mind switching to the earlier flight. If a seat comes free they come find me or if busy page me to collect the new boarding pass.
Old Jun 26, 20, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Happily I got 1D, with one of the only empty seats being 1E.
Nice aircraft too.
Old Jun 27, 20, 4:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
My seat selects were dumped AKL-ZQN-AKL when they change the aircraft to A321 this Wednesday / Sunday. Said seat would be allocated at check in. Now back to close where I had selected.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: