FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Elite - no seat select available, bad seat allocated. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2020424-elite-no-seat-select-available-bad-seat-allocated.html)

freemark Jun 25, 2020 3:43 pm

Elite - no seat select available, bad seat allocated.

Flying WLG-AKL, I’m positive I had selected row 2 or 3 seats a month ago, have now checked in online and allocated 23F with no ability to change. Anyone else experiencing this? Pretty disappointed to put it mildly.

Beano Jun 25, 2020 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by freemark (Post 32485404)
Flying WLG-AKL, I’m positive I had selected row 2 or 3 seats a month ago, have now checked in online and allocated 23F with no ability to change. Anyone else experiencing this? Pretty disappointed to put it mildly.

Can the call centre change the seating ?

Thai-Kiwi Jun 25, 2020 4:25 pm

Your seat allocation may have been dumped due to changing schedules? Mine were, but the schedule stabilised in enough time to get 2D (320) and 1F (321).

freemark Jun 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Yeah, schedule (5 mins) & equipment (1st ride on 321 neo) changes. Customer Service called Wgtn Airport Control, they offloaded me, but couldn’t seat select at new check in and I’ve ended up 10 rows further back!!
Only way apparently will be to request at lounge prior to flight. I guess all sorts of issues currently. Small world problem I know but Status has cost me a lot, with most benefits being lost in foreseeable future.

WLGNZ Jun 25, 2020 5:41 pm

Had a similar issue when aircraft was changed to 321neo.
Luckily far enough out that email to the Elite address solved it for me and reallocated to a decent seat.

sbiddle Jun 25, 2020 7:12 pm

I'm not sure why you think being at the very back is so bad? If I can't get in the first few rows of any A320 domestic flight I will often select the back because it's the next best thing.

Only exception is if it's pouring with rain and no dual boarding.

oranjemakker Jun 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by freemark (Post 32485404)

They have this weird system that when a plane gets x% full or something you can no longer allocate seats and "the system" does it for you. Very frustrating, especially when you change a flexi on day of departure

Which raises another question I dealing with right now, I am on the 6pm to AKL-CHC, and all flights for today full. I would like to standby on the 4pm but ANZ does not allow airport standby without giving up your confirmed seat on alter flight

i dont get this, as if there is an empty seat which I could take, and free up a seat on the later flight which they could sell, they lose $$

Surely this could be a benefit for Elites on flexi tickets?

freemark Jun 25, 2020 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 32485772)
I'm not sure why you think being at the very back is so bad? If I can't get in the first few rows of any A320 domestic flight I will often select the back because it's the next best thing.

Yeah nah. I have an aversion now to waiting for a sometimes interminable time to disembark. I like to be close to a door. Plus generally a little more leg room 1st few rows. I’ve seen the views as well so mainly choose an aisle seat unless unless a new (to me) regional route.

freemark Jun 25, 2020 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ (Post 32485631)
Had a similar issue when aircraft was changed to 321neo.
Luckily far enough out that email to the Elite address solved it for me and reallocated to a decent seat.

I haven’t ever emailed the E team & should have thought of that.

Trumpkin Jun 26, 2020 12:55 am

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 32485824)
Which raises another question I dealing with right now, I am on the 6pm to AKL-CHC, and all flights for today full. I would like to standby on the 4pm but ANZ does not allow airport standby without giving up your confirmed seat on alter flight?

It certainly used to be an elite benefit (have used it), but it looks like it no longer applies.

Markhm Jun 26, 2020 3:16 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 32485772)

no legroom is a start

Kiwi Flyer Jun 26, 2020 5:26 am

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 32485824)
They have this weird system that when a plane gets x% full or something you can no longer allocate seats and "the system" does it for you. Very frustrating, especially when you change a flexi on day of departure

Which raises another question I dealing with right now, I am on the 6pm to AKL-CHC, and all flights for today full. I would like to standby on the 4pm but ANZ does not allow airport standby without giving up your confirmed seat on alter flight

i dont get this, as if there is an empty seat which I could take, and free up a seat on the later flight which they could sell, they lose $$

Surely this could be a benefit for Elites on flexi tickets?

The solution is to check in for the flight booked, and let the friendly lounge staff know you wouldn't mind switching to the earlier flight. If a seat comes free they come find me or if busy page me to collect the new boarding pass.

freemark Jun 26, 2020 4:26 pm

Happily I got 1D, with one of the only empty seats being 1E.
Nice aircraft too.

kiwicyclo Jun 27, 2020 4:32 pm

My seat selects were dumped AKL-ZQN-AKL when they change the aircraft to A321 this Wednesday / Sunday. Said seat would be allocated at check in. Now back to close where I had selected.