Bring back Fast Bag, please!

Old Jun 14, 20, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Bring back Fast Bag, please!

I thought it was related to us being at higher Alert Levels to mitigate spreading the virus. Now we have been at level 1 and still no Fast Bag. Is there a health reason or a money-saving reason?
Done five flights since last week and missing the service, especially as I tend to sit under the lockers the crew use for their onboard stuff.
kathkiwi likes this.
Old Jun 15, 20, 1:07 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Will definately be a way of finding out how many people were cheating the system and using it without buying a ticket with a bag!
Old Jun 16, 20, 12:12 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Will definately be a way of finding out how many people were cheating the system and using it without buying a ticket with a bag!
The last couple of regional flights I was on pre lockdown (one ex CHC and one ex IVC) both had handlers checking bags against a list (I guess passenger list) ...
Old Jun 16, 20, 4:01 am

Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
My last time on a plane was March 13. Quite a drought.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Jul 21, 20, 11:46 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Marriott Gold
I was hoping to see this service back by now as flying without it is a pain in the proverbial.... but apparently we may never see the return of Fast Bag!

I enquired about this in the lounge yesterday and was informed that the whole program is under review due to cost pressures. Apparently it requires one additional ground staff to operate and the loading of the bags last (as FF's board last typically) delays final clearances etc.... all of this while waiting for a late departing flight for no apparent reason.

This would really irritate me as it is one of the only perks that is really useful to regional flyers... and it makes flying considerably more practical for frequent flyers! Let's hope this isn't permanent and that common sense leaves this perk around.
kiwicyclo likes this.
Old Jul 21, 20, 11:51 pm

If they don't bring it back they will need to bring back the smaller carryon size they use to have on the turbo props, as most carryons don't fit in "wheels first" and take up too much room.
Old Jul 22, 20, 1:11 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
They have laid off a *lot* of ground staff which is already causing issues loading aircraft.
Old Jul 22, 20, 2:10 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by nsnflyer View Post
I was hoping to see this service back by now as flying without it is a pain in the proverbial.... but apparently we may never see the return of Fast Bag!

I enquired about this in the lounge yesterday and was informed that the whole program is under review due to cost pressures. Apparently it requires one additional ground staff to operate and the loading of the bags last (as FF's board last typically) delays final clearances etc.... all of this while waiting for a late departing flight for no apparent reason.

This would really irritate me as it is one of the only perks that is really useful to regional flyers... and it makes flying considerably more practical for frequent flyers! Let's hope this isn't permanent and that common sense leaves this perk around.
I agree, the sooner they bring it back the better, it is one of the very few things that are better for regional flyers.
Having said that, it wouldn't be so bad if they had priority luggage in regional airports, so that checked luggage for FF's came out first.
Old Jul 22, 20, 1:44 pm

Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
I was sent an Airpoints survey eatlier in the week and FastBag was called out specifically in it. Several key questions and an opportunity to comment. Needless to say I wrote a detailed reason for its reinstatement.
Old Jul 22, 20, 4:27 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I very rarely have a need to use fast bag, but appreciate it when I do need it.
Old Jul 22, 20, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My flights are very full at the moment - I often hear the crew do the head count and say 68 pax. Fiddling around getting bags stowed in the lockers is a real nuisance and getting people seated for an on time departure is challenging because of this. Charging for a checked bag would always result in people pushing the limits of carry-on. Not having fast bag does mean I often end up with my bag under the seat in front because the lockers are full, which does become uncomfortable for a 1 hour 15 flight on the ATR. Losing the first locker on either side at row 17 also cuts into capacity.
Let's see what this evening's flight is like.
Old Jul 22, 20, 7:48 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
Ditto, My flights recently have been chocka and the cabin baggage has been causing chaos.
Bring it back !!

Interestingly per sbiddle's comments above - it seems to vary - Napier, Nelson and Chc still seem to have 3 ground staff per plane, but Auckland and Wellington down to two. But that observation could be random !!
Old Jul 22, 20, 9:04 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I would agree from brief observation here are less ground staff.
Delayed disembarking in TRG today as ground staff were busy with another plane. Have not had that happen here before.
Old Jul 22, 20, 9:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Yes it would be great to bring it back.
Devils advocate - packed a softbag and stored overhead on a recent trip to NPE and both flights disembarking was much quicker without having to get the Fast Bag's out and onto the trolley and at the stairs/ramp first
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Aug 2, 20, 2:42 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold
Was talking to the lounge agent in NSN about it the other day. She was of the opinion we wont see Fast Bag back. Covid was the perfect way to phase it out. She reckoned Regional OTP was getting increasingly poor, and the time spent dealing with Fast Bags was contributing to it.

It must be said, as has been in previous comments that it has been noticeably faster deplaning without the Fast Bags. I also have to agree that Staffing Levels seem low. Arrived into Auckland the other day and spent 10mins parked at the gate waiting for ground staff so we could get off.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: