Middle seats under Level One

Old Jun 2, 20, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Middle seats under Level One

With the move to Level One imminent, it would appear that social distancing requirements on domestic flights will no longer be required. This should result in cheaper flights as capacity will be back to normal.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/back-...ble-in-level-1

If we’ve already purchased two tickets (A & C) at a premium under level 2 rules (like Works Deluxe), do you think we’ll get to keep the whole row (A, B & C), or is there a risk that AirNZ will sell the middle seat (B) to a random?
Old Jun 3, 20, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Erasmus III View Post
With the move to Level One imminent, it would appear that social distancing requirements on domestic flights will no longer be required. This should result in cheaper flights as capacity will be back to normal.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/back-...ble-in-level-1

If we’ve already purchased two tickets (A & C) at a premium under level 2 rules (like Works Deluxe), do you think we’ll get to keep the whole row (A, B & C), or is there a risk that AirNZ will sell the middle seat (B) to a random?
They will sell the middle. You didn't pay a product which has a free middle seat (Works Deluxe).
Old Jun 3, 20, 1:32 am

Programs: NZ Koru
You will likely find that if you booked an A and C seat on the same booking, that they will update the seat selection to A and B or B and C etc...
LyingFlat likes this.
Old Jun 3, 20, 3:06 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Erasmus III’s post could be read 2 ways.

If WD seating has been paid for it’ll be retained.

If regular 111-111 seating, but spaced 1x1-1x1 is meant, then the comments by nzkarit and cavemanzk are pertinent.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jun 3, 20 at 3:11 am
Old Jun 3, 20, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post

The OP talked about buying a seat at a premium (Works Deluxe)....so neither post from nzkarit and cavemanzk is specifically relevant, although applicable to general 3x3 seating..
In fairness to them, my tickets aren’t Works Deluxe - they’re normal tickets (albeit Flexi-date), but they are priced at a premium to take account of the reduced capacity under Level 3 restrictions. When I purchased the tickets, it was on the understanding that the middle seat would be blocked out.

I’m just intrigued to find out what they’ll do about the new rules. If they do start using middle seats and reduce the prices, I’ll probably cancel the tickets and rebook.
Old Jun 3, 20, 6:18 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
In fairness to them, my tickets aren’t Works Deluxe - they’re normal tickets (albeit Flexi-date), but they are priced at a premium to take account of the reduced capacity under Level 3 restrictions. When I purchased the tickets, it was on the understanding that the middle seat would be blocked out.

I’m just intrigued to find out what they’ll do about the new rules. If they do start using middle seats and reduce the prices, I’ll probably cancel the tickets and rebook.
Just note that non-status pax won’t have access to those forward seats, and elites are unlikely to want a middle seat as first choice. But cancel and rebook may be a reasonable option as no guarantees the middle seat will remain empty.
Old Jun 3, 20, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Just note that non-status pax won’t have access to those forward seats, and elites are unlikely to want a middle seat as first choice. But cancel and rebook may be a reasonable option as no guarantees the middle seat will remain empty.
It's more about money-saving. If my $209 off-peak WLG-AKL flights suddenly become $119 when they can fill the whole plane again, it'll be worth it.
Old Jun 8, 20, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

As predicted by cavemanzk , they automatically changed the seats from A & C to A & B. They also halved the costs of the flights.
I've just cancelled and rebooked on the same flights (WLG-AKL-WLG) and saved ourselves $450. So glad I booked flexidate. Just have to wait 8-10 weeks for the refund to be processed!
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jun 8, 20, 6:37 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
As predicted by cavemanzk , they automatically changed the seats from A & C to A & B. They also halved the costs of the flights.
I've just cancelled and rebooked on the same flights (WLG-AKL-WLG) and saved ourselves $450. So glad I booked flexidate. Just have to wait 8-10 weeks for the refund to be processed!
Are domestic flexidate refunds purchased after the lockdown caught up in the whole Covid-19 refund dramas and delays?
Old Jun 8, 20, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
Are domestic flexidate refunds purchased after the lockdown caught up in the whole Covid-19 refund dramas and delays?
Drama no, it is a refundable ticket. But if need a manual step they end up in the same queue of refunds which need processing.
Old Jun 8, 20, 6:49 pm

I wouldn't think so, surely this is automated. I cancelled a flexidate during level 4 and it was refunded ~straightaway
Old Jun 8, 20, 6:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
I've Just cancelled 2 x EXPENSIVE(ISH) flexidates and was informed of 8-10 week delay in refunds, after 1 hour 20 minutes on phone. Rebooked these at 60% original cost, same date, same flights. Guess it lets Air NZ get in some more bulk cash in.
Old Jun 8, 20, 7:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Drama no, it is a refundable ticket. But if need a manual step they end up in the same queue of refunds which need processing.
By drama I am referring to the well publicized issues NZ has and is having with refunds and credits, e.g. the USA laws etc. and the long time its taking

I would have thought that a simple domestic flexi would be handled separately if cancelled online, based on the responses that may or may not be the case.
Old Jun 9, 20, 11:58 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
The option to cancel flexdates online was removed during lockdown.
I have cancelled plenty via the call centre and they have been back in my credit card account within 48 hours. So far.
Qantas a different story. 11 weeks and counting.
Old Jun 10, 20, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Just have to wait 8-10 weeks for the refund to be processed!
So much for 8-10 weeks - my refund came through to my credit card last night (maybe 36 hrs). Bravo Air New Zealand.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: