International flight changes

Old May 24, 20, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite
International flight changes

I noticed when trying to make a booking this morning that some international schedules are being updated beyond June 30 which is not surprising, although no official word on the website yet

Examples:
AKL - BNE, MEL (3 times a week until end of August)
AKL - IAH, ORD (no nonstop but connecting via LAX on the 787 3 times a week and some really long connections if travelling elsewhere on the east coast)
Old May 24, 20, 8:08 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Looks like the skeleton flight schedule has been extended to the end of August. Perhaps it means no hope of tran-Tasman bubble until at least Sept?

Tasman:
  • Auckland – Sydney: 4 x return flights per week.
  • Auckland – Brisbane: 3 x return flights per week.
  • Auckland – Melbourne: 3 x return flights per week.
The above routes have an increase of 1 x service per week vs our skeleton schedule Apr-Jun.

All other Trans-Tasman services will be cancelled.

Islands:
  • Auckland – Rarotonga, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Papeete, Noumea: 1x return flight per week for each market. Note: these flights are subject to weekly approvals from each market – please check your GDS.
  • Auckland – Niue: Travel 1 Jul-31 Oct – 1 x return flight a week.
  • Sydney – Norfolk Island - 1 Jul-24 Oct – 1 x return flight a week.
  • Brisbane – Norfolk Island - 1 Jul-24 Oct – 1 x return flight a week.
Longhaul:
  • Auckland – Los Angeles: 5 x return flights per week (an increase of 2 x flights per week vs our skeleton schedule Apr-Jun)
  • Auckland – Hong Kong: 2 x return flights per week.
All other international services will be cancelled.
Old May 24, 20, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
Perhaps it means no hope of tran-Tasman bubble until at least Sept?
AirNZ schedule and when the Aussie and NZ govt decide on a bubble are unrelated. AirNZ will add bubble flights when the Govt announce a start date, the Govts won't make a bubble by looking at when AirNZ has scheduled flights. And Aussie is a mess at the moment, with Queensland saying internal border not open until September and Morrison saying can just ignore Queensland and set up a NZ bubble without them.
Old May 24, 20, 8:24 pm

Also where are people getting this info from? I'm looking at https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/covi...#international and that is through to 30 June
Old May 24, 20, 8:28 pm

Programs: NZ Koru, Silver
Got an email 30 minutes ago that our flight to Vancouver in late August has been cancelled due to COVID-19. We were due to fly back from SFO (on the same PNR) so will see if we can obtain refund rather than credit.
Old May 24, 20, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite
Yep, slew of emails coming in regarding cancellations of US bookings in July - Aug and refund option is clearly stated in the emails.
Old May 24, 20, 8:37 pm

Just saw app update for a LAX trip in August. Outbound has please contact (time change), return looks like on day they aren't flying to AKL. DMed them on twitter asking for refund.
Old May 24, 20, 8:53 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
AirNZ schedule and when the Aussie and NZ govt decide on a bubble are unrelated. AirNZ will add bubble flights when the Govt announce a start date, the Govts won't make a bubble by looking at when AirNZ has scheduled flights. And Aussie is a mess at the moment, with Queensland saying internal border not open until September and Morrison saying can just ignore Queensland and set up a NZ bubble without them.
Yes, but NZ must be talking to the government to make the best judgement at this point in time and they must know more than we do.

The info is from the Wingtips newsletter this morning sent to travel agents.

Last edited by Xiaotung; May 24, 20 at 9:06 pm
Old May 24, 20, 9:03 pm
bsd

Programs: UA 1MM, NZ Gold Elite
Yes, but NZ must be talking to the government to make the best judgement at this point in time and they must know more than we do.

The info is from the Wingtip newsletter this morning sent to travel agents.
Old May 24, 20, 9:06 pm
bsd

Programs: UA 1MM, NZ Gold Elite
We have an NZ direct flight to SFO cancelled - as we were hoping (unfortunately). Do the DOT refund rules prevail in this case, or can NZ attempt to override a refund by routing us through LAX to SFO instead?
Old May 24, 20, 10:58 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
I also had notification today of cancellation. It was my final booking with NZ that I've been waiting on. I'm anticipating it will likely be a very long time before I get to fly them again, unfortunately.
Old May 24, 20, 11:16 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Looks like my August AKL-BNE-AKL flights are still live.
Old May 25, 20, 12:40 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Now stuff is reporting it https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/30...nded-to-august
Old May 25, 20, 3:57 am

Programs: RFC
<ahem> That would be unlawful under commercial trading law as it would given them a commercial advantage over their rivals. They can't know more than any other airline or the general public. They're just making predictions and changes based on info to hand - just like everyone else.
Old May 25, 20, 3:59 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by bsd View Post
We have an NZ direct flight to SFO cancelled - as we were hoping (unfortunately). Do the DOT refund rules prevail in this case, or can NZ attempt to override a refund by routing us through LAX to SFO instead?
The airline has the right to offer you a reroute first, and can even automatically re-book you onto it, but you're under no obligation to accept it. If they cancel what you booked then you are entitled to a refund.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: