Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

So what exactly is the “value” of your booking with a confirmed Elite Upgrade?

Old May 22, 20, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite *G, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold

I’m presuming it’s just the fare, taxes and any APD applied, but bear with me. I have two different scenarios coming up (for flights that I’ve not yet been told are cancelled, but will be).

Flight 1 - Pacific saver with confirmed elite recognition upgrade to business (option to hold the value of the booking in credit has just become available).

We know that unsuccessful recognition upgrades are recredited, and if they have expired, they disappear. My upgrades were from the last membership year.
But all the terminology on the website relates to recredit of “unconfirmed” recognition upgrades.
So to me the “value” of that booking is a pacific business saver fare.

Flight 2 - Long haul premium economy sale fare, confirmed elite APD upgrade to business before the new rates came into play ($480 APD each way, now $695 each way). Again, the “value” of that booking to me is a long-haul business sale fare. (I had to buy some APD to get to the 4x$480 needed). This booking would be covered by DOT if I wanted a refund rather than a credit.

So any data points from pre-COVID (or post-COVID) on how Air New Zealand deals with confirmed elite upgrades that it had no choice but to renege on?
Old May 22, 20, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Simple - the as-is value without the upgrade.

It is unknown how NZ treats recognition upgrades. However, given nothing has mentioned, I would assume that they will be forfeited once expired. Also, given nothing has mentioned, I would assume that the membership extension will also land you new recognition upgrades without actual flying.

So you are not getting more. But you are not losing anything.
Old May 22, 20, 10:25 pm

Programs: NZ *G
AKL-MEL

Hi

i have one relevant data point, but you won’t like it. I booked AKL-MEL return seat plus bag, and applied two upgrades (one Elite short haul, one standard RU) which cleared immediately. I paid with APD (and cash for the taxes). Air NZ cancelled the flights about 60-90 days out. I didn’t receive any email about cancellation or taking a credit, but one day found the upgrades reapplied to my account. The APD have not been refunded, but when I called about 10 days before the first flight was told that a credit has been applied. The value of the credit is the original booking cost.

As an aside, I understand Air NZ is still working on a process for using credits, and is now thinking about converting them to APDs.
Old May 22, 20, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite *G, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gratn View Post
Hi

i have one relevant data point, but you won’t like it.
Thanks for the contribution, it’s not really a case of liking it or not (although I will not be able to buy long haul elite APD confirmed upgrades at the same rate - so WILL be worse off).

It’s just that value is such an imprecise term, and I was interested to
hear actual experiences.
gratn likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 10:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Hi

As an aside, I understand Air NZ is still working on a process for using credits, and is now thinking about converting them to APDs.
For many obvious reasons they can't just do that. It would be the simplest approach, but the implications of this mean it's simply not an option.

All week RNZ have been beating up on on Air NZ who don't seem to really want to front and answer questions, and a lot of people on there who clearly don't understand the implications of this have also been suggesting the same thing.

What we do know is that a solution to display and use is still due in June due to the complexities of building it. If you want to use your credits now you have to call.
Old May 22, 20, 11:36 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
For many obvious reasons they can't just do that. It would be the simplest approach, but the implications of this mean it's simply not an option.ll.
That may have been the case previously, but is wrong now. For reasons I won’t share on here I can say with certainty Air NZ is considering rolling this out in June.
Old Yesterday, 3:25 am

That may have been the case previously, but is wrong now. For reasons I won’t share on here I can say with certainty Air NZ is considering rolling this out in June.
It's my understanding you will be able to use the credits to book flights similar to booking one now with APD, but that they won't be APD per se for all the obvious reasons.

Even doing this is still going to cost Air NZ a small fortune with issues such as GST.
Old Yesterday, 3:23 pm

Programs: NZ Gold A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
I had a multistop AKL/PER/ADL/AKL booked for April which was cancelled. At the time instead of taking a credit just shifted the booking (including upgrades) to Sep which was done no problem.
Old Yesterday, 9:36 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
Ditto to ClanJ - Air NZ quite happy to move a PE--> J upgrade to Asia from now until March next year with upgrade intact. They didn't mention it, we just confirmed flights, I assume back in PE and when it came up on my app for seat select was J and shows as being in J - not sure if policy or random luck or if confirmed in J shows as J on their system unless they dig into booking?
Old Yesterday, 9:42 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Converting credits to APD just won’t cut it. It means you would miss out in SP and APD for the value of the credits which would originally given earn for both. I would certainly not be pushing in this direction.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 pm

I'd love Air NZ to simply give me the option to change my flights to a preferred date with the exact same routing with no change fees or fare differences when I know I can travel.
RedVee, kiwicyclo and gratn like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: