Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking a Box of Wine (Domestic)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Checking a Box of Wine (Domestic)

I have a domestic flight (WEL-CHC) and need to bring a case of wine with me. A couple of questions:
  • Has anyone done this using the boxes the wine shipped in? I'm assuming if DHL/Fastway didn't break them when they were on their way to my house then Air NZ won't either, but that might be a big assumption on my part!
  • I have two sturdy six-bottle wine boxes that were previously used for shipping. If I were to tape them together (all around in every direction) would they qualify as one item or would they still be two items?
Thanks everybody!
Old May 20, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: Air New Zealand
As a ex NZ Ground Supervisor, I really wouldn't recommend it. Doesnt matter how many fragile stickers are on it, it WILL get banged around a bit. I have seen many a duty free or wine bottles smashed.

You are correct in that the two boxes tapped together will count as one item. As long as it weighs under 23kg.

You are better off taking it as carry on if you can, or Fast Bagging it. Good luck
Old May 20, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Should be plenty of overhead bin space to take it as carry on!
Markhm likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
You are better off taking it as carry on if you can, or Fast Bagging it. Good luck
What is "Fast Bagging"?
Old May 20, 2020, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Should be plenty of overhead bin space to take it as carry on!
Yes, but alas my partner's computer setup alone is 10 kilos and mine is another 5, so we are already overweight for carryons...
Old May 20, 2020, 4:17 am

You could get a Lazenne (Google it).

I've checked in cases of wine in cardboard boxes internationally in the past. It's been a while, but from memory I either double-boxed it somehow or asked the wine shop to pack it to be checked in.

I think the only time I broke one was in carry on
Old May 20, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I have used the bubblewrap wine bottle carriers. I have taken lots of bottles overseas (the good old days&#128553, mind you a dozen in a bag could be a stretch.
Old May 20, 2020, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by taffygrrl
Yes, but alas my partner's computer setup alone is 10 kilos and mine is another 5, so we are already overweight for carryons...
DO you have other checked bags with clothes etc? Pack them inside that.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prp343
DO you have other checked bags with clothes etc? Pack them inside that.
We do, but we have to transport a full case of wine (12 bottles), which is a bit more than we can fit in our suitcases.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:45 pm

Last time I came back from Aus I brought 6 bottles within my suitcase and do that frequently, but wouldn't recommend just checking in boxes
Old May 20, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by Chessboxin
Last time I came back from Aus I brought 6 bottles within my suitcase and do that frequently, but wouldn't recommend just checking in boxes
Yeah I do this pretty regularly too, no issues thus far.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by taffygrrl
We do, but we have to transport a full case of wine (12 bottles), which is a bit more than we can fit in our suitcases.
We have a ‘special’ suitcase that will hold 12 bottles of wine. We have used it to bring back a full load from Napa and South Africa. Fully loaded, it will weigh about 48-49 lbs.

ps107, Outbound24, LiHS and 4 others like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
Originally Posted by cslovacek
We have a ‘special’ suitcase that will hold 12 bottles of wine. We have used it to bring back a full load from Napa and South Africa. Fully loaded, it will weigh about 48-49 lbs.

I've also used that type of suitcase (VinSafe Valise) and, fully loaded with 12 bottles it comes to 22.5 kg. However, be careful if you want to bring champagne back as the bottles are heavier.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Ooooo, that suitcase is beautiful! We are planning to do the same thing with our bag, except with underwear taking place of the foam packers!
Old May 26, 2020, 2:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ieuan1
I've also used that type of suitcase (VinSafe Valise) and, fully loaded with 12 bottles it comes to 22.5 kg. However, be careful if you want to bring champagne back as the bottles are heavier.
I can recommend those bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.