FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Departing NZ - requirements (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2017248-departing-nz-requirements.html)

ecanem22 May 7, 2020 1:14 am

Departing NZ - requirements

Hi All,
does anyone know what the requirements are to fly internationally out of NZ at the moment, assuming essential worker travelling? Has anyone done this recently? Is there any paperwork to be completed, or is it as simple as making a booking and turning up at the airport? Thanks

nzkarit May 7, 2020 1:19 am

Originally Posted by ecanem22 (Post 32355133)
Hi All,
does anyone know what the requirements are to fly internationally out of NZ at the moment, assuming essential worker travelling? Has anyone done this recently? Is there any paperwork to be completed, or is it as simple as making a booking and turning up at the airport? Thanks

Think most people leaving are tourists going home at the moment. Not much international essential travel as a lot of places only allowing citizens in.

cavemanzk May 7, 2020 1:32 am

New Zealanders are currently free to leave the country, you just have to find another country that will let you in current.

Australians current are band from leaving there own country, and must apply for permission before being able to leave. I know of some cases of people not being granted this permission.

samyoull May 7, 2020 9:25 am

As an NZ citizen you can definitely fly to the US right now, not sure why you would though.

Lhkiwi May 8, 2020 3:09 am

Originally Posted by samyoull (Post 32356067)
As an NZ citizen you can definitely fly to the US right now, not sure why you would though.

Really? I thought the USA had closed it borders to non-residents? I tried transiting the USA back to NZ last month but was denied and eventually flew back via DOH.

LyingFlat May 8, 2020 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Lhkiwi (Post 32358202)
Really? I thought the USA had closed it borders to non-residents? I tried transiting the USA back to NZ last month but was denied and eventually flew back via DOH.

Yes, it's open to some pax. It's closed to non-residents/citizens if they've been in Europe in the last 30 days and (I believe) completely closed to China. If you're going there from NZ then you're fine provided you haven't recently been in Europe/China.

gambda May 11, 2020 11:30 pm

Interested to know if the 'No international travel in the last 14 days' restriction is being mandated at the airport prior to departure ?
Have a work trip booked to BNE early July - which I will cancel if the Trans Tasman bubble does not go ahead but then about 12 days later I'm booked to fly to the U.S.

Xiaotung May 16, 2020 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by LyingFlat (Post 32358245)
Yes, it's open to some pax. It's closed to non-residents/citizens if they've been in Europe in the last 30 days and (I believe) completely closed to China. If you're going there from NZ then you're fine provided you haven't recently been in Europe/China.

The rationale of Australia not letting citizens/permanent residents leaving the country is that when you come back, you will be in hotel quarantine for 14 days and the governemnt is covering the cost. And why should they if the purpose of your travel is non-essential?

I can see this will cause a problem for the trans-Tasman travel bubble which would create a loophole for Australians to leave the bubble then to return.

LyingFlat May 17, 2020 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung (Post 32381915)
The rationale of Australia not letting citizens/permanent residents leaving the country is that when you come back, you will be in hotel quarantine for 14 days and the governemnt is covering the cost. And why should they if the purpose of your travel is non-essential?

I can see this will cause a problem for the trans-Tasman travel bubble which would create a loophole for Australians to leave the bubble then to return.

I don't think that there is a loophole. Your passport will have the information of where you've been and when. The data is transmitted at check-in through API as well when your passport is swiped at the border when you arrive. This is how Customs Intelligence picks up those with 'suspicious' itineraries...

Xiaotung May 17, 2020 1:14 am

Originally Posted by LyingFlat (Post 32381961)
I don't think that there is a loophole. Your passport will have the information of where you've been and when. The data is transmitted at check-in through API as well when your passport is swiped at the border when you arrive. This is how Customs Intelligence picks up those with 'suspicious' itineraries...

It doesn't matter where you have been. Currently all travellers returning to Australia are subject to a mandatory 14 day hotel quarantine. My point was Australia not letting their citizens out because other than your personal welfare when they return they will be forced into quarantine and the government is paying for it.

I suppose Australia could ask NZ borders to not let any Australian leave NZ for a third country but that would add to the complexity of the potential travel bubble.

nzkarit May 17, 2020 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung (Post 32381990)
I suppose Australia could ask NZ borders to not let any Australian leave NZ for a third country but that would add to the complexity of the potential travel bubble.

That will be tidied up in due course when they flesh out the TT bubble.

Also here currently Govt paying for hotels but have said in future they may introduce a user pays system in full or subsidised. Is free as they wanted to allow Kiwis to come home. Suspect when things open up we will see the hotels become user pays particularly for people who left after X date.

jawnbc May 17, 2020 4:05 pm

Mine wouldn't. My NZ passport only shows me leaving and arriving in NZ. I enter Canada on my Canadian, and Europe on my EU. So passports do not provide reliable data when so many people have more than one (and so many jurisdictions compel us to use our citizenship-held passport to enter).

Originally Posted by LyingFlat (Post 32381961)

LyingFlat May 17, 2020 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc (Post 32383683)
Mine wouldn't. My NZ passport only shows me leaving and arriving in NZ. I enter Canada on my Canadian, and Europe on my EU. So passports do not provide reliable data when so many people have more than one (and so many jurisdictions compel us to use our citizenship-held passport to enter).

API also captures your entire ticketed itinerary. They only way to break this would be to have separate one-way/return tickets issues. However, if you have separate tickets and are through-checked, this information is also transmitted as part of API.

ps107 May 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by LyingFlat (Post 32384001)
API also captures your entire ticketed itinerary. They only way to break this would be to have separate one-way/return tickets issues. However, if you have separate tickets and are through-checked, this information is also transmitted as part of API.

I remember arriving in NZ a few years ago on a "rescue" flight operated by NZ after my Air Calin flight was cancelled. The Smartgate wouldn't let me in. When I went to the desk they asked where I'd come from, and I had to wait a few minutes for someone to upload(?) the data for the flight before I was let through because someone had forgotten to do it.