Domestic Travel Post Level Four

Old Apr 10, 20, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Domestic Travel Post Level Four

With the possibility of moving out of Level 4 lockdown in a couple of weeks wondering what might happen in terms of domestic travel. Levels 2 and 3 impose restriction on travel to essential only, but of course could be subject to change. I guess if the situation allows then allowing resumuption of domestic travel could help kick start AIRNZ but also give some oxygen to tourist sector which is in dire need of something.
Old Apr 10, 20, 5:57 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
With the possibility of moving out of Level 4 lockdown in a couple of weeks wondering what might happen in terms of domestic travel. Levels 2 and 3 impose restriction on travel to essential only, but of course could be subject to change. I guess if the situation allows then allowing resumuption of domestic travel could help kick start AIRNZ but also give some oxygen to tourist sector which is in dire need of something.
At level 3 my impression is you shouldn't be visiting other cities as a domestic tourist. But at Level 3, domestic travel with current social distancing measures should resume, on the presumption you are doing it for more important reasons that as a holiday - more like visiting family.

Only once we hit level 2 could I see the government start encouraging domestic tourism again.
Old Apr 10, 20, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
Air Chathams is saying level 1 before we will see domestic travel.
https://3rdlevelnz.blogspot.com/2020...d-level-1.html

And that aligns with my reading of the requirements at each level. Even if remove essential travel caveat there is still the physical distancing requirements. Also not sure how many people would actually want to travel before at level 1. Sure have some vocal people but think a lot of/most people won't want to travel before level 1.
Old Apr 10, 20, 5:59 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I flew domestically at level 2 and level 3 with no suggestion (or questioning) of needing to be “essential” in a level 4 essential services sense. Instead, I thought then the test was whether the travel was necessary/unavoidable in a business sense, which it was. If we drop back down from level 4 and Air NZ puts flights on I, for one, will book and use them for work travel.
Beano likes this.
Old Apr 10, 20, 6:42 pm

It's likely that the actual details of how level 3 will operate will be revised and announced by PM Arden on 20 April
Old Apr 10, 20, 8:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I think Cabinet would specifically address that. Although if domestic travel was allowed at Levels 2 and 3 with physically distancing (i.e blocked middle seats) then I’d expect prices to go up to take that into account.
Old Apr 10, 20, 8:24 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
It looked like AKl-WLG/CHC are pretty normal looking at the moment for bookings, compared to say the Tasman which is pretty much gone until July.
Old Apr 10, 20, 8:53 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by curioustill View Post
It's likely that the actual details of how level 3 will operate will be revised and announced by PM Arden on 20 April
yes levels 2 and 3 on the way to implementing 4 were not done well and guidelines not clear - I would expect much more clarity will be provided for moving down levels
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 20, 9:48 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Exactly. I know that most of us carried on our lives relatively as usual, including domestic tourism, back when we were at level 2/3, but the guidelines were still being felt out. Level 3 post lockdown sounds quite different from what Level 3 was in those two days before lockdown. I expect that we will get much stricter definitions moving forward. For example, back when we were at level 2, restaurants could be open, but nothing was said about seating arrangements. The discussion since has been that restaurants would need to stagger their seating, to create greater distances between customers.
Old Apr 10, 20, 9:57 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
Im in an essential category in a regional centre and I am aware of a few others I fly with regularly in same boat.
Currently having to drive to wellington to get to Christchurch
We have been told it is highly likely will be small number of regional flights again at Level 3 from Tandem, but they quite possibly as much in the dark as anyone.
Old Apr 10, 20, 10:53 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
Exactly. I know that most of us carried on our lives relatively as usual, including domestic tourism, back when we were at level 2/3, but the guidelines were still being felt out. Level 3 post lockdown sounds quite different from what Level 3 was in those two days before lockdown. I expect that we will get much stricter definitions moving forward. For example, back when we were at level 2, restaurants could be open, but nothing was said about seating arrangements. The discussion since has been that restaurants would need to stagger their seating, to create greater distances between customers.
That all happened pretty quickly, and unsurprising that each level will have refinements needed as complexity is revealed:

21 Mar - Govt first public announcement of the Alert level system, and that NZ at at Level 2. Probably in practical use before public announcement

23 Mar - Govt announcement at Level 3, and will move to Level 4 on 25 Mar.

25 Mar - Govt implements Level 4 (aka 'lockdown')
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 20, 12:20 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF S
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
Our tenants knew they were required to stagger seating once the country moved to level two. I do remember this being stated during the televised announcement, but there was probably something written about it as well given our tenants didn't watch the news item.
Old Apr 13, 20, 12:40 am

Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
Not only am I looking forward to flying....I am eagerly anticipating getting rid of my Mother in Law who has been in my bubble for far too long! Unfortunately Cook Strait is in our way so I hope something is flying next week. I might charter a plane😀
Old Apr 13, 20, 5:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
I think Cabinet would specifically address that. Although if domestic travel was allowed at Levels 2 and 3 with physically distancing (i.e blocked middle seats) then I’d expect prices to go up to take that into account.
Works Deluxe for everyone! (minus the frittata )
Old Apr 13, 20, 7:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
a blocked middle seat gives very little physical distancing - certainly not the 2m that is recommended

Search this Thread
Search Engine: