Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Bizzare communication with Air New Zealand

Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Due to fly June 3rd SFO to AKL then AKL to MEL. First route is cancelled until June 30th but second route is not.

Firstly Air NZ didn't even tell me it was cancelled. No email etc, I saw that QF was canceling flights to North America until 06/30 so I checked the Air NZ flight and found out SFO-AKL was canceled.

Secondly, contacted them about a credit and was told it would be only issue for the first leg because the second leg was still being flown?

How do I go about getting a credit for *both* legs. Also will trip insurance cover this. Maybe that's a better route as I prefer to get my money back rather than get a credit.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Nobody can answer your question about trip insurance but you - what does your policy say?

99% of insurance will provide no cover for anything related to this as virtually all policies have pandemic clauses.

As for communication Air NZ do seem to be struggling a little but at the moment because their focus is on scheduling and flights for those trying to get in and out of NZ at present, not those people flying in a few months time.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:13 pm

They seem to be slowly releasing emails to manage call volume. If your flight isn't to June you aren't high on the list to contact yet.

Also looking at my bookings it appears like they have zeroed all the buckets but haven't cancelled yet, again to manage call volume.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you ...

But what is this about a refund only.for the first leg. i booked passage from SFO to MEL and they can not get me there
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
But what is this about a refund only.for the first leg. i booked passage from SFO to MEL and they can not get me there
Was this on one ticket (PNR) or two? If on two then that might well explain what is happening.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
They are handling canceled flights in chronological order. Once they start dealing with June, they will let you know what the options are. Trying to do it now probably won't win you many friends in the NZ call centre. I have two international bookings in June, both of which will be canceled. When I spoke to them about my booking last week, they said they will get to those in turn but it will take a while.

In other words, be patient. We have no idea what will be happening that far in the future.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks again

All on one ticket. Can I ask for a refund rather than get a voucher. I had to fly in June and can't fly later.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:01 am

All on one ticket. Can I ask for a refund rather than get a voucher. I had to fly in June and can't fly later.
Did you book a refundable fare?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Non refundable fare

But my understanding is I booked a passage for the start of June. But They can't fly me there until the start of July. So shouldn't I get a refund? I didn't buy a voucher I bought particular travel between two countries on a particular date.

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:15 am

But my understanding is I booked a passage for the start of June. But They can't fly me there until the start of July. So shouldn't I get a refund? I didn't buy a voucher I bought particular travel between two countries on a particular date.
They are being strict on only refundable fares get a refund, the rest get a credit. Is the risk of being on a cheaper non refundable fare.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
They are being strict on only refundable fares get a refund, the rest get a credit. Is the risk of being on a cheaper non refundable fare.
Technically, if AirNZ chooses to cancel a service due to business reasons such as falling demand, then a refund should be given even for non-refundable fares - since AirNZ is not delivering what it had agreed to do.

It is a terrible situation for all concerned. Some holding bookings are happy to take a credit, but that is an inadequate remedy for others who may never travel on AirNZ again.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Exactly.

Our company has rolling allocated holidays. Mine was June but they cant fly me till July. So what good is a voucher?

I may never fly AirNZ again, they may br bankrupt and I need the money ...

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Technically, if AirNZ chooses to cancel a service due to business reasons such as falling demand, then a refund should be given even for non-refundable fares - since AirNZ is not delivering what it had agreed to do.

It is a terrible situation for all concerned. Some holding bookings are happy to take a credit, but that is an inadequate remedy for others who may never travel on AirNZ again.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
If its one ticket then they cant cancel the first part only. The problem is that in the current circumstances the writing isnt joining up, the agents are powerless to override it and the managers needed to correct it are busy with other things. If you have to cancel your ticket then theres no difference between doing it now and doing it a week out from the trip. In that time they could well cancel the second leg anyway, which would solve your problem.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Assuming the OP is in the US, then they might be able to cancel and receive most of the money back, with the exception of the cancellation fee, should they wish to go that route. Depending on the class of service, this could range from around US$150 - 500. At least, that's how it is with my tickets purchased on Air NZ. The OP should check the conditions of the ticket to see what the cancellation penalty is. While not ideal, this is an option if they don't want credit or cannot fly the following month.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Getting more Bizzare!

Received an automated email asking if I wanted to upgrade to a Skylounge? Clicking on link shows that the upgrade is available ...

I know this is auto-generated by Air New Zealand has to take some responsibility for their actions. They can't keep on asking people for money knowing fully well they don't intend to fly the plane (i.e. its on the 6th of June but all flights to Australia cancelled/suspended until 30th of June).
ottiehund likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.