Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Bizzare communication with Air New Zealand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bizzare communication with Air New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Wrong again

Originally Posted by Lenghy
At the moment, it appears to be the "go to" option for just about every airline - remains to be seen whether that will be the new "normal" when covid-19 releases its grip
Please don't post these misleading and factually incorrect statements. It just causes confusion

All the airlines I mentioned QF, UA, AA are not offering credits for flights to/from the USA to a foreign destination like ANZ has. They are offering refunds as DOT requires them to. Period. They did it from day 1 with no hassle. ANZ did not.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite (* Gold)
Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
Wrong thread. Of course there is no discussion of AirNZ in the forums outside of the ANZ forum. It's a small player in the airline industry.

See US DOT rule applicability for the thread I referred to (i.e. in the ANZ forum) and you'll see my opinion is shared by a lot of others. These opinions are because ANZ is not honoring their obligations as per DOT. They are making up reasons for not giving refunds.

I'm glad you had a good experience but many have not. For a company whose share price is under $1 that's not good. God help ANZ if the mass tort lawyers get involved. They'll be bankrupt.
AIr NZ are now paying out.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mon...eas-passengers

Which does not detract from my point that many airlines are doing this...I'm not saying its right, but I am saying it's happening
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ClanJ
This whole issue of credit v refund appears to be really divisive.
At the moment, it appears to be the "go to" option for just about every airline - remains to be seen whether that will be the new "normal" when covid-19 releases its grip
Please don't post these misleading and factually incorrect statements. It just causes confusion
This is not factually incorrect or misleading...many airlines are offering credits only. As I said earlier there has been suits files against Air Canada and United. BA and Easyjet (amongst others) have been taken to task in Europe. Look on the main DOT thread and SAS, AeroMexico are refusing as are some US airlines

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...nceled-flights

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-refunds.html

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...ds-coronavirus
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
AIr NZ are now paying out.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mon...eas-passengers

Which does not detract from my point that many airlines are doing this...I'm not saying its right, but I am saying it's happening
.... according to fare purchased and local regulations, so really no practical change there?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

This is not factually incorrect or misleading...many airlines are offering credits only.
@Lenghy I think you are purposely being misleading to make ANZ look not so bad because "many airlines are offering credits".

But this thread is only about flights to and from the US which have a very specific DOT rule that require the carriers to give refunds not credits. All my other bookings which match this rule were funded (without being called) except ANZ.

The airlines do offer credits for other flights (i.e. domestic flights) but that's not the focus of this thread.

Originally Posted by ottiehund
.... according to fare purchased and local regulations, so really no practical change there?
Right. They didn't change anything.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
NZ is among a handful of carriers which affirmatively continued to deny refunds requested by passengers -- rather than simply not affirmative offer them -- after the US DOT issued a Warning Letter on 3 April which made clear that US law, existing since 2011, required this. The purpose of the 3 April letter was to provide carriers which were violating the law to remedy the situation themselves and to offer them an olive branch of no enforcement action if they did.

NZ appears to be one of a tiny handful of carriers which violated the law in defiance of that letter. To be clear, these Warning Letters are not merely posted on a website. In the case of regulated carriers, which includes all US carriers as well as non-US carriers which serve the US, there is a designated email box for DOT communications and one may be reasonably assured that senior NZ people were aware of the Letter and its contents.

It seems particularly offensive that NZ customers were told that it applied only to US citizens (a blatant falsehood). At a minimum, NZ citizens were victimized and that is NZ's primary customer base.

Last edited by Often1; Apr 12, 2020 at 10:14 am
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:22 pm

@Lenghy I think you are purposely being misleading to make ANZ look not so bad because "many airlines are offering credits".

But this thread is only about flights to and from the US which have a very specific DOT rule that require the carriers to give refunds not credits. All my other bookings which match this rule were funded (without being called) except ANZ.

The airlines do offer credits for other flights (i.e. domestic flights) but that's not the focus of this thread..

I'm not sure which part of "I'm not saying its right, but I am saying it's happening" you are thinking is misleading. I'm being crystal clear, I don't think it right, if there are rules they should be adhered to - it does not matter who the airline is.

I was not talking about YOUR bookings specifically in these posts, as YOUR situation has been resolved.

Therefore surely the thread can move on, and in line with your focus of the DOT rules on international flights to the US I'm sure you will agree that Air Canada and AeroMexico are international flights.

My original reply regarding credits v refunds was to ClanJ and was not related to your situation.

You have twice now said I'm being misleading, "misleading and factually incorrect statements. It just causes confusion" to use your words from an earlier post.

Those statements were not incorrect and if I have confused you I apologise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.