10 SP "gift"

Old Mar 18, 20, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ
10 SP "gift"

Hi team,

I didn't want to tie up the already very busy lines at AirNZ to ask this silly question, so thought I would ask it here.
I'd been gold for quite some time, and this last year I've finally managed to reach (almost) elite.

I currently need 10 status points to get there today (sitting at 1490), and I do have a domestic trip booked for Tues next week which will easily get me there.

My problem is my work is canning all travel, and it's not beyond impossible that the flight itself will be cancelled if things get worse.
I need to get the 10 points in this month because I have a good chunk expiring at the end of the month from last year, and with the obvious issues I doubt I'll be travelling enough in the next few months to catch up again.

What do you think my chances are of getting AirNZ to gift me those 10 points I'm missing?
Been wanting to get to elite for years, and although I can most likely hit the 1350 to keep the status without much problem, it's a stretch for me to get to 1500 if I miss out on this opportunity.

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:48 pm

Credit card SP?
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Problem is that won't get applied until next month, at the same time I lose ~200 points from a trip last year.

So I would have to spend a hell of a lot to get counteract that 200 + the 10 I need.
Old Mar 18, 20, 10:36 pm

Try twitter
Old Mar 18, 20, 10:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Last year I was 8 SP off gold, and had an upcoming flight from LAX - RAR in PE and then off to NZ. I called the call center and pleaded my case, as I'd miscalculated the number of status points I was going to get from my United flight from the US → Canada, and wanted to lodge an RU on that flight. I was able to get the status points adjusted up, and got the upgrade into J. I've since qualified into elite because I flew a ton last year.

Give them a call, and see what you can do. Obviously being friendly toward the people on the other end is the key to success here!
Old Mar 18, 20, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

I'll try twitter - Their phones are super busy and they are specifically asking people to not call if it's not about a flight inside the next 48 hours.

I feel like the person answering might get annoyed at such a request during such a time.

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 20, 11:59 pm

They haven't even answered my query on an upcoming flight on Twitter yet, so I do wish you good luck on this!
Old Mar 19, 20, 12:19 am

Programs: some
Under normal circumstances they'd be likely to say yes (from experience) but nothing is normal at the moment...
Old Mar 19, 20, 12:49 am

Given the circumstances Id say your chances are slim. If Elite is that important to you (and it was me) Id be forking out personally for a status run at the weekend
Beano likes this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 2:08 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by SDB22 View Post
Given the circumstances Id say your chances are slim. If Elite is that important to you (and it was me) Id be forking out personally for a status run at the weekend
I need 33 points so might have to see whats on in CHC over the weekend...... 33 sp is probably a bit much to ask to be gifted?
Old Mar 21, 20, 1:48 pm

Programs: EK Silver, *A Silver
Figured I wouldn't be the only person in this position - I only need 6 more status points to get Gold!

Thought it wasn't a possibility and had accepted my Silver status until I had to fly at short notice this last week.

Now need 45 SP to get to Gold and my credit card bill this month will get me 46...maybe 47 SP. If my credit card bill gets 'statemented' by Friday 3rd April then I'll qualify, but if it gets statemented the week after then I'll need 6 SP to get Gold.

Plan is wait and see what happens. If I need those ~6 SP, then I'll just book a flight in the morning and come back the same day.
Old Mar 21, 20, 2:18 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
I just canned a planned status run that would have gotten me over the line today, didn’t seem a very responsible thing to be doing in light of the directive yesterday to limit travel, especially when it was for a selfish purpose. Then again it would have given another $400 to support the airline.

Last edited by ottiehund; Mar 21, 20 at 2:19 pm Reason: Sp
Old Mar 23, 20, 6:24 pm

Programs: EK Silver, *A Silver
Originally Posted by ottiehund View Post
I just canned a planned status run that would have gotten me over the line today, didnt seem a very responsible thing to be doing in light of the directive yesterday to limit travel, especially when it was for a selfish purpose. Then again it would have given another $400 to support the airline.
Yeah I've also canned my Status Run - looking forward to completing it after the lockdown though, and once it's sensible to be able to do so. It'll cost me more but I'd actually just feel happy being in the air again in some respects (plus supporting the airline again).
Old Mar 27, 20, 2:59 am

Programs: NZ*E, A3*G, Accor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, GHA Black,
Email the elite airpoints address (or gold one I guess).

They have been pretty good at answering email queries promptly (within 24H for me last week).
I was bumped up on SP about 2 years ago I think I needed about 20, they have been pretty good in the past when I scanned this forum.
Old Mar 27, 20, 2:58 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, Accor+ Platinum
Originally Posted by JANZFlyer View Post
Email the elite airpoints address (or gold one I guess).
What is the Elite airpoints email address? The only one I could find by searching this forum was [email protected]

Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: