Dirty plane

Old Mar 18, 20, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Dirty plane

Ok, so this is my first time on Air NZ, and I have to say - this was by far the dirtiest aircraft cabin I had ever encountered.
NZ 99, on a fairly new 787, business cabin.
Photos attached. One shows what the side of my seat looked like. If hungry - you could snack on those peanuts. Checked a few other seats - same.
The other is bed bug marks - got bitten while sleeping on the flight (actually felt a "prick" but didn't realize just how bad it is until I got to the hotel).

This has got to be the dirtiest plane I've seen.

Side of the seat - may be there is a little squirrel living there, storing those peanuts.

Bed bug bites - a nice parting gift
Old Mar 18, 20, 8:16 am

Most of us Air New Zealand Frequent Flyers have developed an immunity.
tr3k, Beano and Rustydfa like this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by poopbunny View Post
Most of us Air New Zealand Frequent Flyers have developed an immunity.
lol Geez, wish I had known before flying.
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:33 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
"Kia Ora, welcome aboard our overrated airline! We invest all our money into marketing instead of actually ensuring our planes are clean and refurbished, and then leave you wondering why you paid 30% more than business on Qatar or Singapore airlines! Doesn't matter any way because our most valued customers appear to have developed a stockholm syndrome complex... we also have a near monopoly on flights in this part of the world so we have little incentive to improve. While we're at it, did we also mention that we won airline of the year in a very unscientific online poll of New Zealanders?" - Air Nu Zulland
Old Mar 19, 20, 2:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Have you send this complaint to them? Might be better to tweet or put it on their Facebook page for more attention while they are so busy.
Old Mar 19, 20, 2:36 pm

Have you had chicken pox in the past?

As the rash appears in a stripe, could it be shingles?
Old Mar 19, 20, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by poopbunny View Post
Have you had chicken pox in the past?

As the rash appears in a stripe, could it be shingles?
It's a bed bug bite. I know when I was bitten - was in the lay-flat bed, under the blanket and felt a "prick" in that exact location, and an itch very shortly. Thought it might be a bed bug then - but was too sleepy.

And no, I did not file anything with the airline. I did bring the atrocious state of the seat cleanliness to the attention of FAs, but they did not care. (BTW, FAs were very nice and helpful and chatty otherwise).

As I am unlikely to fly this airline ever again, I see no reason to pursue this further. Seems like it's a known issue anyway.
Old Mar 19, 20, 5:35 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Whenever I fly China Eastern (well not recently obviously) arriving into Auckland its always a pallava with having to wait while MPI comes on board and sprays because apparently Chinese crew cant spray properly according to MPI. Meanwhile Air NZ is happily importing bedbugs into the country!

And while we are at it arent planes supposed to be deep cleaned right now?
poopbunny and codyc1515 like this.
Old Mar 19, 20, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
Whenever I fly China Eastern (well not recently obviously) arriving into Auckland its always a pallava with having to wait while MPI comes on board and sprays because apparently Chinese crew cant spray properly according to MPI. Meanwhile Air NZ is happily importing bedbugs into the country!

And while we are at it arent planes supposed to be deep cleaned right now?
Iíve never been bitten by bed bugs on a NZ flight and Iíve been on a fair few. I guess thereís always the possibility that some people bring them on board with them and so despite cleaning they could be a problem.
Old Mar 21, 20, 1:55 pm

Programs: EK Silver, *A Silver
Originally Posted by 0100 View Post
"Kia Ora, welcome aboard our overrated airline! We invest all our money into marketing instead of actually ensuring our planes are clean and refurbished, and then leave you wondering why you paid 30% more than business on Qatar or Singapore airlines! Doesn't matter any way because our most valued customers appear to have developed a stockholm syndrome complex... we also have a near monopoly on flights in this part of the world so we have little incentive to improve. While we're at it, did we also mention that we won airline of the year in a very unscientific online poll of New Zealanders?" - Air Nu Zulland
haha yeah, personally only fly Air NZ trans-tasman and regionally. I've no idea why people don't opt for SIA, EK or any of the other similar carriers when flying J internationally...(unless work is booking your tickets, I suppose).
codyc1515 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: