Wiki Posts
Search

What to do when OTA doesn't pick up?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *G, AS 75K
What to do when OTA doesn't pick up?

For future reference, what are my options when my dirt-cheap OTA skimps on me and doesn't pick up the phone to assist with an Air New Zealand induced change (This involves GoToGate and FlightNetwork)? I know with United, they can take and have taken over the PNR to assist, but I'm not sure what kind of help I'd get from Air New Zealand. My flight from MEL-AKL has disappeared (NZ126) and there is now a single flight departing earlier that day (NZ124).

Worst case scenario, if I turn up at the airport on day of departure, will they assist me (I'm assuming e-ticket will be under "Airport Control" at that point?)?

Anyone had this happen to them before and can offer any advice?

And yes, I know I did something really stupid booking through an OTA when I should have booked with Air NZ directly, the mistake will never be made again.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:02 am

If the OTA is not picking up because they have gone out of business, then and only then can Air NZ take over the booking.

Or you would have to have flown the first leg of the itinerary for Air NZ to take over.

Otherwise you might not be in a good position. Just as you have realised, it doesn't pay to save a little by booking with non-reputable OTAs.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzjay
For future reference, what are my options when my dirt-cheap OTA skimps on me and doesn't pick up the phone to assist with an Air New Zealand induced change (This involves GoToGate and FlightNetwork)? I know with United, they can take and have taken over the PNR to assist, but I'm not sure what kind of help I'd get from Air New Zealand. My flight from MEL-AKL has disappeared (NZ126) and there is now a single flight departing earlier that day (NZ124).

Worst case scenario, if I turn up at the airport on day of departure, will they assist me (I'm assuming e-ticket will be under "Airport Control" at that point?)?

Anyone had this happen to them before and can offer any advice?

And yes, I know I did something really stupid booking through an OTA when I should have booked with Air NZ directly, the mistake will never be made again.
What does https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/ manage booking show?
When is the flight?
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

The MEL-AKL flight is on 2nd April, but I'm on a separate ticket outbound AKL-MEL on Virgin this Saturday 21 March.

I've done every rookie mistake in the book, booking a dodgy OTA, two separate tickets, while the coronavirus developed (8th March).
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The MEL-AKL flight is on 2nd April, but I'm on a separate ticket outbound AKL-MEL on Virgin this Saturday 21 March.

I've done every rookie mistake in the book, booking a dodgy OTA, two separate tickets, while the coronavirus developed (8th March).
Australia has 14 days isolation policy on entry. 21 March +14 days = 4 April
So you want to cancel? Or spend 12 days in isolation and then head to the MEL airport?
And then spend 14 days in isolation in NZ on arrival (same policy as Au)

Link---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...-15-march.html
Link---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...-15-march.html
Beano likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 17, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Yes, unfortunately I have no choice on this matter, but atleast I'll be isolating in a nice serviced apartment with the significant other, so can't be too bad.

Right now I need to know what I can do with who - either cancel or reschedule to a later date.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would do some research to figure out whether these people are still in business and, if so, whether they are active. Hope that they have gone under and you then have an easier call to NZ.

If it is still operational, try calling at different times of the day and night.

If it is operational and you can't get through, then it's still worth a call to NZ, just expect a flat no.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you looked online at https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/ "manage booking"?
flykiwifly and codyc1515 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: LH-SEN
For future reference, what are my options when my dirt-cheap OTA skimps on me and doesn't pick up the phone to assist with an Air New Zealand induced change (This involves GoToGate and FlightNetwork)? ......

I've actually had more joy with FlightNetwork than Air NZ. Only took me 90 minutes to get through and confirmation of cancellation for Europe to NZ tickets received by email about 30 seconds after I put the phone down. By contrast I spent 3 hours waiting on the phone to Air NZ last week to cancel AKL/RAR tickets and various domestic flights without getting to the front of the queue - and that was before the new quararntine restrictions were announced. Haven't tried since as flights aren't for a couple of weeks' time.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:35 pm

I was not able to contact either an OTA or NZ, so my only recourse was to lodge a credit card dispute. Not sure how that will play out, but nothing else I could do.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tr3k
I was not able to contact either an OTA or NZ, so my only recourse was to lodge a credit card dispute. Not sure how that will play out, but nothing else I could do.
Have you done one of these before? On what basis was it? I don't know how to phrase my request to Kiwibank.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: NZ
Have you done one of these before? On what basis was it? I don't know how to phrase my request to Kiwibank.
Tell them that the NZ service you booked is no longer operating and any alternative offered is unacceptable AND that the OTA you booked through (naming them) is not responding to calls. If Kiwibank needs more they will let you know. From experience it is important to demonstrate that you attempted to resolve this by contacting the OTA. Good luck!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:57 am

I am in the US, and my credit card issuer has a few pre-set options, which don't even allow me to add any "free text". So I selected "canceled purchase". If they contact me for additional data - will provide what I can.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
For what it is worth my son booked Boston to Auckland on Mon to Fly to day on a OTA website CheapOair. Was AIRNZ ticket stock via Chicago. Went Boston airport (Which was empty) to checkin but before he started got a message from OTA that flights cancelled but with option to rebook at no cost via San Fran. He confirmed change went to counter, checked in and now in the air.
Beano likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Well after the full closure of both NZ and AUS border yesterday, definitely not going anywhere now! Going to initiate chargeback today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.