Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air Nz offering 'Change Flexibility', but only for new bookings.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Nz offering 'Change Flexibility', but only for new bookings.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
The CSR this morning was convinced that Star Alliance reward bookings couldn't be refunded and had to be guided to the new Covid update (at the time 13 hours old) before issuing a credit.

now the issue is spending the credit in time. Has anyone had any joy in booking multistep domestics as one ticket. eg. WLG-AKL-WLG-AKL-WLG-CHC-WLG etc. Using the tool it says no and to call up but with current wait times thought Id ask here... The issue is that the credit is $1600 in APD and $2100 cash, so each booking has to exceed that otherwise I lose the remainder.

Advice?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Qantas is playing the same game so do not feel too bad. But I hear you loud and xlear as many Asian and European airlines have allowed customers t postpone flights to as far as November(Finnair) for no extra charge.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I've got an AKL-MEL-AKL over Easter and on both of those days there are 3 flights per day between the cities - 2 of them widebodies. I'm pretty sure that NZ will be cancelling some of these flights. Hoping it's our one as if they cancel then I can say other times are not convenient and get a refund rather than a credit,.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by ottiehund
That is a good way to alienate your existing passengers with no flexibility offered for changes/cancellations whilst offering this to new bookings. Clearly a way to try and encourage those with any doubts to have confidence and make bookings, but what about recognising your existing customers?
That's what insurance is for. Older bookings should already have insurance in place. If not, well, that's the risk you accepted by not getting insurance.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Hector99
Advice?
If you're sure of the policy then email them with the policy quoted and politely ask for a complete refund. If they say no then Small Claims Court is your friend - and yes, you can claim the APD too via SCC.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
That's what insurance is for. Older bookings should already have insurance in place. If not, well, that's the risk you accepted by not getting insurance.
Even those with insurance purchased prior to this situation may not be covered; my insurer was quick to note the policy’s general exclusion for pandemic or likely pandemic. I asked who determined if there was a “likely pandemic”? the response was that they did at their sole discretion......

My cover was purchased in Oct 2019.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Even those with insurance purchased prior to this situation may not be covered; my insurer was quick to note the policy’s general exclusion for pandemic or likely pandemic. I asked who determined if there was a “likely pandemic”? the response was that they did at their sole discretion......

My cover was purchased in Oct 2019.
Agree, I bought a Southern Cross Travel Insurance policy last year for a trip in April. SCTI are now excluding any cover for cancelling or changing the trip, even though the cover was put in place way before it was a known event, because they have a pandemic exclusion.

Honestly, it's spectacularly bad taste and here I was thinking that SCTI is market leading. I thought this was what travel and insurance was for. Bizarrely, if I still go on the trip they would cover me for contracting coronavirus over in the destination country. You'd think they want people to avoid catching it but no...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: Nz*G
Originally Posted by znsm
Agree, I bought a Southern Cross Travel Insurance policy last year for a trip in April. SCTI are now excluding any cover for cancelling or changing the trip, even though the cover was put in place way before it was a known event, because they have a pandemic exclusion.

Honestly, it's spectacularly bad taste and here I was thinking that SCTI is market leading. I thought this was what travel and insurance was for. Bizarrely, if I still go on the trip they would cover me for contracting coronavirus over in the destination country. You'd think they want people to avoid catching it but no...
This is exactly the same as what Allianz said to us regarding a trip we have leaving 31 March to Portugal, Morocco & Spain on NZ via LHR and then TAP.

Now we are just hoping we can postpone the trip with the airline and tour companies for as little cost as possible
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
As already pointed out by others pretty much every travel insurance policy out there has exclusions for pandemics. Your advice to take them to the disputes tribunal if they won't provide a refund is simply poor advice that has zero chance of succeeding. Based on your comments I do wonder if you have even read an insurance PDS in detail.

Here's a copy of the section from my 1cover annual policy

13. Your claim arises from, is related to or associated with an actual or likely epidemic or pandemic or the threat of an epidemic orpandemic.

In this section:

•‘epidemic’ means a sudden development and rapid spreading of a contagious disease in a region where it developed in a simplyendemic state or within a previously unscathed community; and

•‘pandemic’ means a form of an epidemic that extends throughout an entire continent, even the entire human race.

In a nutshell nobody has had any cover for anything COVID-19 related since late January, and there had been number of "industry commentators" who have appeared in the media falsely inferring that you had cover if you booked prior to this outbreak. This is simply incorrect.

Here is 1cover's advice from last month on their website -

Our policies contain exclusions relating to an epidemic or pandemic and also known events in the mass media.

Therefore, regardless of when you purchased your policy and the destination:

- It is unlikely that any claim will be covered if it relates to the Coronavirus;
- This applies to all countries, including countries where MFAT has not yet issued a Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel-related warning;
- However, we will assess each claim based on its individual facts and circumstances and policy terms and conditions; and
- If you wish to submit a claim, please lodge this online here.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
If you're sure of the policy then email them with the policy quoted and politely ask for a complete refund. If they say no then Small Claims Court is your friend - and yes, you can claim the APD too via SCC.
Sorry, Air NZ backtracked whilst on the phone and refund the amount to be held in credit.

The question now is that this must be spent as one amount rather than split. I don't have a credit of $2100 dollars to divide into 21 x $100 domestic trips. Is it possible to do a massive multistop domestic trip to 'use' this? Booking a year in advance long haul in the current climate is unwise but I still have domestic flying.

Sorry for confusion.

As an FYI my AMEX plat insurance won't cover either, much the same as every one elses
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I think now that NZ has a nationwide self quarantine for any new arrivals, airlines are going to HAVE to give full refunds since there is feasibly no way anyone can travel.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I think now that NZ has a nationwide self quarantine for any new arrivals, airlines are going to HAVE to give full refunds since there is feasibly no way anyone can travel.
No. Nothing to stop people travelling on Air NZ. Indeed many NZ citizens and residents will want to travel, then do the 14 days self isolation. For visitors I expect the NZ Government is hoping they will not travel. But you can fly Air NZ if you want to.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
As already pointed out by others pretty much every travel insurance policy out there has exclusions for pandemics.
You're correct: NZ policies are pretty consistent about pandemic exclusions. When I wrote earlier I wasn't thinking in terms of NZ-domiciled policies as I've seldom bought them over the last ~20 years. I usually buy policies out of Australia or the US - cheaper and far more flexible in coverage that you can buy. My bad.

Your advice to take them to the disputes tribunal if they won't provide a refund is simply poor advice that has zero chance of succeeding.
That will depend on the wording of the CoC. "Them", in terms of going to SC's, was directed towards Air NZ in the context of refusing to change dates or provide a refund or a credit.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:29 pm

I was supposed to be flying in J from WLG-AKL-SIN-FRA-CDG in May, all on an NZ ticket. SQ cancelled my SIN-FRA flight yesterday. I’ve yet to hear anything from NZ, but would this be grounds to ask for a full refund if I refuse any alternate routing or timings?

On my way back to NZ, I’m flying HKG-AKL-WLG, but on a separate ticket to my outbound flight. I booked this in PE and got a successful RU to J. Can I ask NZ to refund this too, on the basis that I’m not going to be in HKG because the rest of my itinerary is dependent on getting to Europe in the first place?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:39 pm

NZ asking not to call as busy, also gives them time to ramp up prices!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.