Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air Nz offering 'Change Flexibility', but only for new bookings.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Nz offering 'Change Flexibility', but only for new bookings.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Yes, I have had fares held in credit previously and would be a fair outcome, we have 2 pax booked on long hauls that are (possibly) going to be changed - outward in PE to LHR which is non-cancellable (and cost too much to walk away from) but can be changed for a $50 fee per one way, and returning flights in J (CPH to CHC) which can be cancelled for $250 fee or changed for $100 fee.

What I do not understand is the differentiated treatment for existing bookings vs new bookings, which is saying new business is more important to them than my current business, and yes NZ is being less flexible than many other airlines.

Last edited by ottiehund; Mar 10, 2020 at 3:07 pm Reason: correction
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by ottiehund
new business is more important to them than my current business
I'm sure this is absolutely the case.

In any event, I've had good experience with fares held in credit in the past, which I thought was a fair outcome (although change fee still applied).
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
So are they NOT holding fare in credit anymore? Because for me, that's more than enough, I am happy to have my fares held for a year until this has blown over.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
So are they NOT holding fare in credit anymore? Because for me, that's more than enough, I am happy to have my fares held for a year until this has blown over.
to my understanding, they are, but for my bookings, they will charge me another service fee is I do not rebook at the time this is put in credit. Change fee is $50 per sector, and service fee is $60 per sector, so for me, it is $220 when I rebook when I put in credit
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by curioustill
Yes, I tried to cancel flights without having to pay the penalty but the person on the phone/their supervisor was not helpful and refused to waive the penalty. That is ok (I did pay the cheap, non-refundable fare as well) but then I got a lecture about how I should take vitamin D supplements to 'boost my immune system' to prevent the coronavirus! The person on the phone also suggested that COVID-19 rates were so high in the northern hemisphere because over there it is winter and sunlight levels are low leading to low levels of vitamin D! Extremely unprofessional and, frankly, useless information. I am in the medical field so I know the truth.. vitamin D does not prevent COVID-19!
we really need idiots like this to shut up (airnz staff, not curioustill!)
Skyler2718 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster
to my understanding, they are, but for my bookings, they will charge me another service fee is I do not rebook at the time this is put in credit. Change fee is $50 per sector, and service fee is $60 per sector, so for me, it is $220 when I rebook when I put in credit
Ah that's a relief. A $220 fee is obviously not everyone's most ideal outcome, but losing thousands of dollars vs. losing $220, I'll take my $220!
Outbound24 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC-E50K / WS-P / Hyatt-G
Use of credit...

Hello there, I'm in a similar situation--will call to try to get a credit for a booking which is non-refundable. Preserving the credit for 12m is a decent option, at least it is better than losing the entire cost of the booking.

Quick question--as Air NZ is a SA carrier, would I be able to use the credit on other SA carrier flights? I suppose the question is, could I call Air NZ, pay their service fee and change fee, and for example, book with my Air NZ credit, flights from YVR to HNL for instance?

Thanks all! Apologies if this is a ridiculous question!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:09 pm

I can't imagine any single airline could offer you that, the credit is with Air NZ only.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC-E50K / WS-P / Hyatt-G
Thank you!

I can't imagine any single airline could offer you that, the credit is with Air NZ only.
I thought as much...thank you!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by a4racer
Hello there, I'm in a similar situation--will call to try to get a credit for a booking which is non-refundable. Preserving the credit for 12m is a decent option, at least it is better than losing the entire cost of the booking.

Quick question--as Air NZ is a SA carrier, would I be able to use the credit on other SA carrier flights? I suppose the question is, could I call Air NZ, pay their service fee and change fee, and for example, book with my Air NZ credit, flights from YVR to HNL for instance?

Thanks all! Apologies if this is a ridiculous question!
If Air NZ offer the routing from their website, even with other airline providers included in the offering, they can apply your held-in-credit to that ticketing, so it is not a flat-out no. Was told this myself in the last week. As long as they can offer and ticket it, they can apply the credit.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Air NZ policy changed last night to offer flexibility for all long haul bookings prior to 1st July. No flexibility on Aussie and Pacific Islands yet, but I guess in the coming weeks when flights are all cancelled they'll have to extend it!
ottiehund and racekp like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Air NZ policy changed last night to offer flexibility for all long haul bookings prior to 1st July. No flexibility on Aussie and Pacific Islands yet, but I guess in the coming weeks when flights are all cancelled they'll have to extend it!
is that all bookings for travel before 1 July? what a shame that I have already got mine with a service charge - or may be I should not complaint as I to the main truck back...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by mmonster
is that all bookings for travel before 1 July? what a shame that I have already got mine with a service charge - or may be I should not complaint as I to the main truck back...
Yes

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travel-alerts
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
thanks - that is very helpful - not that it is much, $200, but I had no choice since I was supposed to fly out yesterday, so I have to cancel a day before....
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:58 pm

Given Air New Zealand's primary responsibility is to their shareholders I imagine the original policy was a way to help stem the bleeding to a degree. Considering Air NZ's passengers are largely inelastic, they probably don't really care about people being a bit miffed. What are they gonna do - fly Qantas for the rest of their lives?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.