FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Where to send extra air points post extra banked year (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2010951-where-send-extra-air-points-post-extra-banked-year.html)

newtestleper Feb 28, 2020 11:12 pm

Where to send extra air points post extra banked year

Just tipped over 2400 status credits for the year and still have over a month to go until the end of my membership year.

Probably got 200 more status credits lined up between now and then. Is there anywhere more worthwhile I could/should be sending them - Virgin or SQ for example?

kiwifrequentflyer Feb 28, 2020 11:30 pm

First, I would recommend sending them to an airline that you fly frequently.

If there is none that meets that criteria, a very flexible one to accrue extra miles with is United. You can purchase additional miles with them, so you can top up your freebie miles to get an award seat.

poopbunny Feb 29, 2020 4:51 pm

I see you also have QF Platinum.

If the choice of airline was available, my aim would be Lifetime Gold.

JANZFlyer Feb 29, 2020 5:03 pm

Good question, was meant to ask and forgot. Subsequently I am 44 SP away from the Elite Gift at 3000 SP. Not sure what is about to "drop off" the calendar from 12 months ago. I have till April 20. Flight on 16th March domestic for another 20 ish. Is it worth chasing or doing a status run. Can't find what the gifts are anymore although a Long Haul upgrade or hotel stay would be good.

kiwicyclo Mar 1, 2020 11:11 am

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer (Post 32127408)
Good question, was meant to ask and forgot. Subsequently I am 44 SP away from the Elite Gift at 3000 SP. Not sure what is about to "drop off" the calendar from 12 months ago. I have till April 20. Flight on 16th March domestic for another 20 ish. Is it worth chasing or doing a status run. Can't find what the gifts are anymore although a Long Haul upgrade or hotel stay would be good.

elite SP do not drop off.

newtestleper Mar 1, 2020 1:33 pm

Sadly all flights will be domestic in NZ. Mix of main trunk and regional.

Originally Posted by poopbunny (Post 32127383)
I see you also have QF Platinum.

If the choice of airline was available, my aim would be Lifetime Gold.

kiwifrequentflyer Mar 2, 2020 5:04 am

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer (Post 32127408)

At 3000 SP I picked an extra recognition upgrade. That's it. You can just buy a APD upgrade so it's not worth chasing IMHO. If you had a way to get to 5,000 SP you can choose a banked year, which IMHO is worth it.

mmonster Mar 2, 2020 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 32132081)
At 3000 SP I picked an extra recognition upgrade. That's it. You can just buy a APD upgrade so it's not worth chasing IMHO. If you had a way to get to 5,000 SP you can choose a banked year, which IMHO is worth it.

wow. at 3000 SP - good for you
I was told that my RUs that I have applied to a confirmed booking cannot be reversed since it was meant to be used by end of last year...
it is unfortunate that I am wasting 2x of it.....

kiwifrequentflyer Mar 3, 2020 12:57 am

Originally Posted by mmonster (Post 32134385)
I was told that my RUs that I have applied to a confirmed booking cannot be reversed since it was meant to be used by end of last year...

It's true, if you were to reverse them they would just disappear, so even if it would have been better value to apply them each a a PE seat, it's still better than nothing!

Xiaotung Mar 3, 2020 1:06 am

Originally Posted by mmonster (Post 32134385)

What if there was a schedule change or your flight gets cancelled, would they move your otherwise expired RUs to the new flight? Would confirmed upgrades remain confirmed on the new flight? There are a lot of uncertainties at the moment around the globe so this is more likely than usual.

kiwifrequentflyer Mar 3, 2020 1:25 am

99% Certain you would lose your upgrades.

But there are always exceptions. For one year, I had 5 people on my gifting register, not 4. Why? A kind phone attendant took pity on me and gave my account an extra slot. Air NZ is a very flexible FF once you reach the top tier so if you were very upset, you might get an exception made if the right person was on the other end of the phone.

But as per their policies, I'm fairly certain that no, if you cancel a flight even if its because of the virus, you lose your upgrades lodged for it.

JANZFlyer Mar 3, 2020 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 32132081)

A search through this forum a few years ago listed a number of options at 3000SP
Degustation for 2 at The Grove or Clooney (now closed of course).
Sofitel Melbourne and another hotel in Auckland
Recognition upgrade etc.

Is is definitely just a recognition upgrade now? If so, that is annoying, I can't find a use for the 2 I have now that are going to expire!

edmm Mar 3, 2020 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer (Post 32138172)
A search through this forum a few years ago listed a number of options at 3000SP
Recognition upgrade etc.
Is is definitely just a recognition upgrade now? If so, that is annoying, I find a use the 2 I have now that are going to expire!

My one late last year I selected a case of a dozen wines, but there were a variety of things to choose from, pretty similar to previous years. Living in a regional centre the offerings weren't particularly useful and our upgrades generally go to waste so the wines were an ok option.

Beano Mar 3, 2020 6:45 pm

Expiring RU

Recognition upgrade etc.

Is is definitely just a recognition upgrade now? If so, that is annoying, I find a use the 2 I have now that are going to expire!

Why not buy a PE ticket and use your RU ?
Avoid losing it and save some money (or save the firm some money)

kiwifrequentflyer Mar 3, 2020 10:09 pm

Recognition upgrade etc.

No you can still get all those things, I just selected the RU. It's the item with the highest dollar value. My point was that's the best gift at 3000 and its not worth chasing. Because any extra flights required to chase it won't be even remotely close in value to the value of the 3000 SP gift.

But I was happy with a second banked year, that had huge value to me, so I consider 5000 worth chasing, but not 3000.