Wiki Posts
Search

Skynest?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *G
Skynest?

Hmm what's FT think about this? Tweet says they're targeting Y passengers, must be communal [edit: sounds like it's exclusive access]. Wonder if you book a certain portion of the flight? [edit 2: as new info emerges it does sound like pax book a limited block of time during the flight]

Last edited by sopwith7; Feb 26, 2020 at 2:40 pm Reason: rolling updates
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:24 pm

In lieu of details, I assume you book this kinda like a Skycouch and get a couple hours of lie-down at a pre-determined time? I feel like airlines have wanted to do this for ages.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:28 pm

There is a more detailed article here: https://www.businessinsider.com/air-...skynest-2020-2

- 6 Units per plane
- Can be purchased during booking, like SkyCouch
​​​​
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:33 pm

Trying to figure this out.

Angle makes me think towards the tail.

Bunks means below deck as think overhead is normally only one layer.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:40 pm

Just replied on twitter not under deck.

So maybe back bit of Y in middle like EK does on their ULH A380 for crew rest? Angle so make the window 2s a 3?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Looks more comfortable than the current J seat....
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Looks more comfortable than the current J seat....
My guess will be on the 787-10 with the new J seat.

That said has direct aisle access and lay flat. Will give J a run for its money. Eat in longue then sleep overnight, skip dinner on plane
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

At least they're trying to mix things up. The bottom bunk looks kinda rough though.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:21 pm

Having access to a lie-flat bed at a predetermined time is much different to having constant access to lie-flat bed in business class. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for the Skynest option but it looks like if Air NZ charge they will probably charge $600.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curioustill
Having access to a lie-flat bed at a predetermined time is much different to having constant access to lie-flat bed in business class. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for the Skynest option but it looks like if Air NZ charge they will probably charge $600.
From the press release it sounds like exclusive access for the duration of the flight. (Which also makes more sense from a sanitary standpoint). Will be expensive.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by sopwith7
From the press release it sounds like exclusive access for the duration of the flight. (Which also makes more sense from a sanitary standpoint). Will be expensive.
For a Over night flight if was same price as PE think would be a no brainer if get for the whole flight.

Big thing is balancing weight, space and demand. For the overnight flights think could most probably get everyone paying for PE to switch.

Though is dead space for the TTs and the day flights (unless is first leg and want to hit destination time)
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Gold, PGR Black
Firstly, well done Air NZ for pushing the envelope and exploring ways to deliver innovative new products.
However, there are a number of practical aspects that need to be explained also. I assume each of the six passengers will get their own seats also for takeoff, landings, movie watching and meal times etc... While this is great for passenger choice and comfort seems to me an inefficient use of aircraft space compared to say a business class traveller paying 3-4 times the fare with a similar or slightly smaller footprint.
Also, the economy fare uplift means it would only really be profitable to Air NZ on the ultra-long-haul flights like AKL-ORD and AKL-EWR when you look at the current Economy v's Premium Economy fares on these routes.
Again I like the thinking but the practical and economic details are lacking at this stage - the devil is always in the detail.
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by curioustill
$50 more than the economy ticket? I exclusively fly in economy, and regularly pay $40 for bulkhead seats, and swallow the $100 cost for exit row seats if bulkhead is not available, and I think the Skynest would be worth more than an exit row seat. I do think you are correct about the cost - I probably wouldn't pay $600 for the Skynest, but would gladly consider $300-400 depending on the route.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I'd love a sky nest but am confused about how people get "time slots" - it's only useful for meaningful sleep for me if I can ride in it the entire trip. If I could pay extra and have it the entire trip, no need for business really, I'd just book this. Perhaps it will replace the PE cabin? Not really sure where it would go/fit.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Its a concept, whether or not it becomes commercial is another question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.