Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SP on connecting flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:18 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by prelude
Would you say that AP is basically a revenue based FFP in disguise?
It's not "basically" - it is a revenue based FFP and has been since all the changes around 2013ish. Air NZ pretty much lead the way when it came to airlines moving towards a revenue based FPP.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Air NZ pretty much lead the way when it came to airlines moving towards a revenue based FPP.
Did not know that. One thing I do appreciate about Airpoints is it does make spending and redemptions easy, understandable and straightforward. Pity that the earn rates are so poor though.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Did not know that. One thing I do appreciate about Airpoints is it does make spending and redemptions easy, understandable and straightforward. Pity that the earn rates are so poor though.
It's all about earn/burn ratio. Easy redemption means nothing if it costs 10 times as many miles as in another programme. It may be a great selling point to a lay person but close calculation makes it one of the worst programmes in the world.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
It's all about earn/burn ratio. Easy redemption means nothing if it costs 10 times as many miles as in another programme. It may be a great selling point to a lay person but close calculation makes it one of the worst programmes in the world.
A bit OT: I agree that it is one of the worst programs in the world, but there is something to be said about catering to the layperson. Your average Joe isn't gonna look at how many Airpoints they accumulate and think 'wow that's woeful', but 'hey, look at that, I can finally get a free flight!' or more often 'hey I can get a free Mitre 10 voucher'.

For frequent flyers, it's great making use of stuff like stopovers on redemptions, or finding sweet spots in rewards charts. That's all impossible with Airpoints, but it's what you get if you simplify and make the program accessible. Kinda sucks for us who fly NZ a lot, but what can you do.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
A bit OT: I agree that it is one of the worst programs in the world, but there is something to be said about catering to the layperson. Your average Joe isn't gonna look at how many Airpoints they accumulate and think 'wow that's woeful', but 'hey, look at that, I can finally get a free flight!' or more often 'hey I can get a free Mitre 10 voucher'.

For frequent flyers, it's great making use of stuff like stopovers on redemptions, or finding sweet spots in rewards charts. That's all impossible with Airpoints, but it's what you get if you simplify and make the program accessible. Kinda sucks for us who fly NZ a lot, but what can you do.
I find that AP's are only valuable if GE and can used them for APD's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.