Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Options after SQ flight cancelation (NZ ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Back in July last year, I booked to fly business class in May WLG-AKL-SIN (NZ - J fare class) then a 1 night stopover in S'pore, then SIN-CDG (SQ - D fare class). Last night I got an email from SQ telling me that they've cancelled my SIN-CDG flight and offering me a flight on the next day. This doesn't work with my schedule as I need to be in CDG on the day I had originally planned.

I called Air New Zealand this morning to explore my options.
My preferred choice was to fly SIN-FRA-CDG in a combo of SQ and LH, but I was told that wasn't an option as their systems wouldn't allow it (even thought the SQ website offers it as an option). They did offer to fly me to Frankfurt, but I would have to make my own arrangements to fly to Paris. I wasn't very impresssed with that option.

Air France have a direct flight SIN-CDG leaving around the same time, but that was also ruled out, evern though it's listed as an option on the NZ Website.

I was also told that SIN-BKK-CDG with Thai wasn't possible.

I've looked on the Air NZ website and it looks like I would be able to rebook my original route (WLG-AKL(NZ) AKL-SIN(SQ) & SIN-CDG (AF)) for slightly less than I originally paid for it, but I would lose about 200 NZ Status Points which will almost certainly mean the difference between retaining Elite or dropping down to Gold for next year.

Any idea what my options are? Is it worth trying Air New Zealand again to see if I can get a more helpful CSR? Is there any precedent for granting me the status points I'd be missing out on so I can make Elite?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Wow thats a bummer. Presume the Singapore cancellations were due to the recent announcement by SQ they were cancelling lots of flights because of Covid-19 (I guess demand impact rather than the virus per se)? Does seem very frustrating that NZ is limited in what it can do to help. i guess that is the risk with codeshares, in that SQ has no obligation to you.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I mean if reasonable options are not available then this is where insurance comes into play - do you have travel insurance?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Yes - I have insurance through my credit card, but I doubt that would help with my status points :-)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
If NZ issued the ticket to you, it is up to NZ to re-book you on suitable timing. Which may involve different carriers.
I would pressure NZ to come up with a solution to get you to your destination on time.
Good luck.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Rebound
I mean if reasonable options are not available then this is where insurance comes into play - do you have travel insurance?
I have heard, though not confirmed, that many travel insurers are not covering matters related to Covid-19. So they might refuse to cover this?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
I have heard, though not confirmed, that many travel insurers are not covering matters related to Covid-19. So they might refuse to cover this?
All depends on the wording of the policy but most travel insurers are excluding claims directly relating to Covid 19, eg if you book a flight to China after Covid 19 became an issue and you now want to cancel it. Here the claim would be relating to a flight cancellation so a 'normal' Covid 19 exclusion wouldn't apply.

Air NZ issued the ticket and has the obligation to resolve the issue that has been caused by SQ cancelling SIN-CDG. Is it possible for you to leave a day earlier? CDG is ad hoc cancelled, so the flight the day before may still be operating.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:32 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Seems SQ are reducing frequency due to demand, that may seem like its related to Covid-19 but it's not like you are going to/from a 'problem' country/state. Unfortunately I Think AIRNZ will argue that the partner airline cancellation is out of their control. Insurance will have to book you on your preferred re-route if you can convince them you need to travel/be back on a certain date (or they may pay the different eg to FRA)
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'd be pushing back at Air NZ and making it very clear you're unhappy.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

I called back again a couple of hours ago, got a different agent, didn’t make any sort of fuss and got exactly the result I wanted.

I’m now booked SIN-FRA (SQ) AND FRA-CDG (LH) at the times I wanted. Both agents spoke to their supervisors - it’s a bit frustrating that there isn’t any consistency, but I’m not going to grumble. I just hope SQ don’t cancel my Frankfurt flight now!
NZbutterfly and Beckett66 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
If you don't get the outcome you want with Air NZ it always pays to call back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.